Esplanade closure begins February 1st

Bike Snob in Portland Sunday: Full details

Posted by on June 18th, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Detail from ride flyer.
-Full version below-

Eben Weiss, the inimitable “Bike Snob” behind the popular and eponymously named blog and book, rolls into Portland on Sunday. He’s in town for a signing and presentation at Powell’s and there’s a ride to the event being organized by Chris King Precision Components.

The plan is to meet at Chris King headquarters in Northwest Industrial and then shove off on a ride around 5:00 pm. According to sources, the ride will head up to the Rose Test Garden in Washington Park and then drop into downtown. Once downtown, Bike Snob and his fans will roll through the Broadway cycle track near PSU, then head east over the Willamette River before criss-crossing several bridges and heading back to Powell’s.

Here’s the (hilarious) ride flyer:

The small print reads: “Bike Snob just became a new dad but he’ll be spending his first Father’s Day with us. Let’s show him how much we care by bringing him handmade Father’s Day cards (construction paper and crayon preferred). Gifts of drugstore cologne and ties are also encouraged.”

The signing and presentation at Powell’s begins at 7:30 pm (details here). For more on Eben Weiss, read his solid take on the Portland bike scene from a recent story in Outside Magazine and check out my Q & A with him from back in March.

Please support BikePortland.

• peejay June 18, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I might just “rock” my “whip” on this “epic” ride. All depends on how the “pants jabbies” are feeling after Saturday night.

• JV June 18, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I’m converting my tandem to the fixed “gearway” so as to “portage” one of my offspring. We will rock matching hipsterati “gear” including “vintage” skinny jeans with wallet chains, Brooklyn cycling caps, ironic footwear, and crabon fibre shades. We will perform random “tarckstands.”
    I won’t buy a book, though….too conformist.

• Jim F June 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Who is curating the ride?

• becky June 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I’m going to make a card out of crabon fiber!

• Perry June 18, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Somebody bring him some tweed and a polo mallet.

I’m bringing a cunning orange Jayne Hat.

• Joe June 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm

no drop ride? haha

• davidio June 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm

thank lobster I have an ironic orange cyclocross bike with full wheelbrows for this ride.

• KWW June 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm

If the snob has a proper roast of all the riders in attendance, what more could you ask for? Which cliche’ to go for though? Fixie? Too obvious
    Pasty Portland Commuter? Would be a change of pace for the snob
    Recumbent rider? Prostate jokes aplenty

• fredlf June 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I’m coming as a Fred. The old school kind, not a Nü Fred.

• hanmade June 18, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I hope someone presents him with an ‘epic’ burrito as a welcome gesture to Stumptown. Any takers?

• pdxebiker June 19, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Soap on a Rope!

• Red Five June 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm

This guy needs a Dirty Sanchez.