Weekender Ride

How was your Bridge Pedal?

Posted by on August 10th, 2008 at 11:41 am

Bridge Pedal -08-26.jpg

Crossing the Broadway Bridge.
Photo gallery – Slideshow below
(Photos © J. Maus)

Thousands of riders swarmed the city during the 13th annual Bridge Pedal ride this morning.

I started just after sunrise on the 11-bridge route, which had a new start location. We hit the Fremont bridge first thing and then got to ride along I-405 for a few miles through the heart of downtown Portland. It sure was cool to see bikes take over the entire side of a freeway while cars sped by in the opposite direction.

Bridge Pedal -08-13.jpg

All smiles onto the Marquam Bridge.

As usual, I saw lots of smiling faces and riders of all ages, styles, and experience levels. I only saw one major crash; on the downhill (east) side of the Marquam Bridge a man went down very hard and was on a stretcher when I rode by.

Unfortunately I wasn’t feeling great this morning, so I packed it in early.

Reader Michael Kuhn reports that, “All in all, it was a much better ride than previous years.”

How was the ride for you? Did you see/experience anything interesting? How was the route? Any bottlenecks to report?

See the rest of my photos here or watch the slideshow below:

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

UPDATE: Here are a few neat photos (including an Earl Blumenauer spotting!) from reader Mike Houck:

The massive crowd at the start of the 11-Bridge ride:

(Photo by Mike Houck)

Congressman Earl Blumenauer helps start things off:

(Photo by Mike Houck)

Another crowd shot, notice Blumenauer in blue long-sleeve shirt at bottom left:

(Photo by Mike Houck)

Read a good report on today’s ride by Erin Hoover Barnett in The Oregonian.

• Rob August 10, 2008 at 11:55 am

A million times better than last year.

Hardly any bottlenecks to speak of, the organizers clearly learned lessons from last year\’s debacle. All in all, a very relaxing ride for me.

I did see the aftermath of that accident on the Marquam downhill – looked like there were several riders involved in that one, one big tangled mess of bikes.

Thoughts and prayers are with the rider that the paramedics were attending to, it looked like he was busted up pretty bad. Lots of road-rash on his face, by far the one of the worst-looking accidents I\’ve seen.

• Topher August 10, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I had a lot of fun this morning. This was my first Bridge Pedal and I thought it was great. There isn\’t anything like BP where I come from. It was awesome to see so many people riding.

There was another crash pretty near the finish line. Somebody got caught in some train tracks and went down. Didn\’t look to bad, but it still sucks.

• Andrew Berkowitz August 10, 2008 at 12:20 pm

They totally nailed it this year. No bottlenecks, and overall it just felt like the riders were well spaced out along the route. (I did the 11-bridge.) I loved starting on the East side because parking was easy and getting out after the ride was easy too.

I also kind of liked not having The Bite at the end of the ride. It felt like more of a social hang-out area. And chocolate milk … perfect.

Huge kudos to the organizers and volunteers … best Bridge Pedal ever!

• Scrapr August 10, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Nice ride. Did it with my boy. 8 bridges. I\’m trying to talk him into the 11 bridge next year. He wants to daddle along. I told him if we do the long route we need to get our speed up into the 13-14 mph range. So he rode for a while at about 13 mph.

I missed the bands on the marquam & Fremont. Made it seem like more of an \”event\”.

I hope there is a report on the biker down at the marquam.

Saw 2 flats. Offered a guy my levers and a tube. he didn\’t have a pump. So I left. his wife was down the way.

One woman flatted 1 block from the finish. Ouch

• Cupcake August 10, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Felt much less crowded than last year. We started the 8 bridge ride at 7:15, and the only congestion we experienced was at the very end. Someone forgot to tell the RR company it was bridge pedal, and we had to wait about 10 minutes for a train to pass.

A fantastic ride!

• scoot August 10, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Oops, posted this to the old BP thread before this one went up, so I\’m moving it to the right place:

Okay, just back from my first time and it was great – no problems. We rode with the green team and never had to stop once after we got started. Only saw one fall and that was a little kid crashing into his own grown-up off the path on the sidewalk. Sure, people were bobbing and weaving, but the only thing that ever felt mildly dangerous to me was the occasional full-geared rider tearing through on the right as fast as they could. Cheers to the organizers – a fun morning.

Also, big cheers to all the parents who\’ve taught their children so well. The vast majority of kids I saw were impressive little cyclists.

• Chris August 10, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I just moved to Portland one week ago, so it was a good way to see the city and back roads and, of course, the bridges. I really enjoyed it and everyone was really friendly. I fully expected it to be worse, and it was quite fun and went smoothly.

I\’ve got to say though that the food and drink at the end was pretty insubstantial. I mean, diet iced tea?? I\’m sure it was donated, but at the end of a long ride, it\’s nice to have something other than milk (yuck) and diet iced tea (ugh).

I\’ve got a few pictures on my Flickr site, listed above.

• Mark Allyn August 10, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I did the 11 bridge first thing this morning at 6:30.

It got a little late start because, I heard, of a disabled vehicle that had to be towed from the Marquam so they could put up the cones.

We got going at about 6:45.

I saw no bottlenecks nor crashes nor anything amiss.

It was a good ride. Very enthusiastic volunteers; all smiles, waving, cheering on! Riders around me were cheerful as well.

I rode streight through, no stopping for anything (I had enough water for myself and I drank a home made energy smootie prior to leaving (spirulina, wheatgrass, carrot, beat, orange, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, coconut oil, hemp oil, flax oil, cod liver oil, and lots of carrots). That gave me enough umph to do the hills.

So, I don\’t know if they had enough goodies for us all, but I witnessed no complaints.

They must have had enough porta potties; I did not see anyone peeing in the bushes as I had in other years.

I finished at 9:30 and rode back east in time to attend the 10 AM worship at the Stark Street Quaker Meeting house!

Luv

Mark Allyn

• Bjorn August 10, 2008 at 1:14 pm

I thought it seemed better planned out this year, but having 2 lanes of people going one way on the ross island while cars went highway speeds the other seemed like maybe not the best idea. I saw a little kid weaving back and forth right by the center line cones who almost went out in front of a car, at which point it occured to me that if someone going the other way got distracted and crossed the centerline that they could probably take out 100 people pretty easily… They should probably close the whole bridge or at least lower the speed limit next year.

Bjorn

• Lisa August 10, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Best one yet! This is my third ride and tho we didn\’t get out as early as we\’d hoped (doesn\’t that always happen?), we had no problems to report. I was under particular pressure by my speedy road riding buddy to not endure a pokey, bottle-necked, debacle and this one sure delivered! Thanks to the organizers for allowing us road riders an actual ride, and letting the 6-bridge family riders enjoy their family time separately!

• Michael K August 10, 2008 at 1:55 pm

(repost) Nice ride! Great weather!

Red shirt ride – too short.

NASTY multi-bike wreck on Marquam Bridge! Very sad way to start the ride, finishing in an ambulance…

No complaints otherwise.

Just read many comments on the previous posting with concerns about crowds and bad bike drivers.

This is my 4th ride and completely understand the concerns from previous years. This time I rode in the front portion of the red pack and stayed ahead of too many newbies. It was not too crowded and for the most part folks handled their bikes courteously and competently.

There were few children where I was. Most of them may have chosen the family ride. I did still see too many kids who seem to be strong riders, but who don\’t understand they need to maintain a straight path, or look behind before veering off. The sponsors really need to provide some basic bike courtesy and safety guidelines along with the other materials they hand out.

Again, all in all, it was a much better ride than previous years.

• Paul Cole August 10, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I did the 8 bridge ride this morning (first timer) and was worried about it being a slow-going slog the whole way after hearing about last year\’s ride. I\’d say things were pretty bunched up until the downhill side of the Marquam.

I had two close calls in the beginning of the race as people got used to being so closely bunched together. After the Marquam though, it opened up quite a bit and I enjoyed a nice more or less solitary ride the rest of the way.

• Chris August 10, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Try that again:

Bridge Pedal Flickr

• North Portlander August 10, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Apparently some of the crowding and starting problems experienced by participants in the 2007 Providence Bridge Pedal were ironed out for this year\’s event with only a few spills and near misses occurring. The event, held on Sunday, sought to avoid workday traffic (although there are those of us who do work on Sunday and the beginning of the event coincided with the time in which we had to get into work. Note to Providence: Can the event begin at 10:00 am next year?)

I have some concerns about the routes and the associated events. Some of these stem from the very positive experience of having been involved in setting up, running, and participating in the old Bike To Work Day before the City of Portland or anybody like Providence got involved in a major bike event.

The original Portland BTW Day was an educational event to promote commuting and responsible bicycling. It operated on volunteer goodwill and the support of local bike businesses and bicycling clubs and organizations. No streets were closed to facilitate the rides; each ride (and there were at least four from different parts of town, all converging on Pioneer Courthouse Square in downtown) had an experienced leader who everyone on the ride had to follow and a tail rider who watched out for the slower riders and helped anyone with flats or problems. Some rides had a mid-rider as well. In this way, everyone followed the rules of the road, nobody surged ahead and experienced riders were on hand to keep everybody on track and provide direction as to where to ride, when to stop and when to signal. Before each group headed into town, the ride leaders checked out the participants\’ bikes and gear to make sure that they would be safe. Organizers sought to educate and to make sure that participants had a realistic biking experience upon which to base future bicycling.

BTW Day ended in Pioneer Courthouse Square where local businesses donated drinks and food, there were drawings for bicycling gear and the various bicycling groups distributed information and answered questions.

Contrast this with Bridge Pedal. Since Providence is facilitating the event it seems that its primary goal is simply getting people on bikes for health reasons. However the rides aren\’t guided (participants follow maps) and nobody insures that riders are observing traffic laws. In fact, the courses are set up so that riders can ignore them. The organizers closed lanes and complete streets and volunteers waved riders through traffic lights as though they weren\’t there. Some of the routes traveled on roadway that — during non-Bridge Pedal — would be illegal for bicycles to travel on are the Fremont and Marquam Bridges and the 405 Freeway. What kind of example is that?

While BTW rides concluded in a central location where all activities, seminars, booths and food distribution took place, the Bridge Pedal rides end on the west side of the river while the associated fair is set up on the EAST side at the Doubletree Inn at Lloyd Center. I have to wonder how many riders made the effort to go over to the Lloyd Center afterwards, especially with tired children. More likely they wandered over to enjoy The Bite of Portland and blew off the \”Free Personal Training Session\”, \”Free Massage\”, \”Free Kayak Lesson\”, \”Free Introduction to Mountain Climbing\” and other various and sundry Lloyd Center venue offerings that seemed to have little or nothing to do with responsible bicycling education.

While popular, this kind of event doesn\’t help bicyclists understand what it\’s really like to ride a bicycle responsibly on the streets of Portland and – in part – attracts people who will not commute or ride with traffic in the future because they are only comfortable being insulated and riding streets completely devoid of any motorized vehicles. That\’s a no-brainer that is in direct contradiction to the real world of day-to-day responsible urban cycling.

So much money, so much hype, so much participation . . . a squandered opportunity?

• Reva August 10, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I went out today with a sort of \”I\’ll give this one more chance…\” attitude. I had a blast last year (my first time) despite the congestion. It sure was great to start things off this morning with a clear approach to the Ross Island Bridge! I did the 8-bridge ride, and the only hangup I experienced, aside from the accident coming down the Marquam, was having to wait at train crossings twice in the final stretch. By that point I didn\’t mind the short mandatory rest period.

I have to second (third?) earlier comments about people passing on the right. I\’m not a slowpoke but I\’m not a speed demon, either (except on downhills; wheee!). Unless I\’m passing someone, I tend to stick to the middle of the road. I must\’ve been passed on the right today, very closely, by half a dozen guys who came up quickly without so much as an \”on your right.\” There was plenty of room on the left; I just don\’t understand the need for passing on the right if you don\’t have to.

• Scott August 10, 2008 at 3:46 pm

This was my first bridge pedal and my wife\’s second. We had a very pleasant 8-bridge ride. All in all a very nice morning. I sort of miss the big crowds of previous years – but not enough that I\’d choose those over the smooth flow of today.

Nicely done!

tiny nits:
    More food/fun (music, etc)
    Recycling bins at the end for all those milk cartons and iced tea bottles

If anyone has news on that rider on the Marquam bridge wreck, please post it. We don\’t need name, etc. Just a \”he\’ll be ok\” would be great.

• coral August 10, 2008 at 3:51 pm

It was our first time today, and after reading the comments on the other post, I wasn\’t looking forward to it. We only did the 6 bridge, as we usually work until midnight on Saturdays, so getting up any earlier would have been impossible. I do feel like I could have gone further though, so next year I guess I\’ll have to suck it up and get up early!

After riding down from our house to the start line, I was a little worried because we were traveling with a family that had a couple kids. They were already weaving in and out, and slowing way down on the bridge, and the ride hadn\’t even started. It was a little rough at some points, especially the small hill up to the Fremont Bridge. Kids (and some adults), would abruptly stop to walk their bike, without looking behind or beside them, and my husband nearly ran over some little girl because of that. Only saw a couple little accidents, nothing more than a scraped knee. The only part of the ride where we were stopped is coming off the Burnside Bridge, there was a working traffic light, which caused a bit of a backup so cars could make their way through.

Next year I will definitely do the longer one, mainly to avoid the sloooooow kids and trailers, but it wasn\’t as bad as I feared. My favorite part? Zooming down I-5 at 30mph before going on the Marquam bridge. So cool!!

• Lisa August 10, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Attn #14

As I sit here watching the women\’s olympic road racing, your post makes me wonder, \”What a poor example these Olympians are setting, riding their bikes on highways in China. Those roads were built for cars! Heck, even the Great Wall was designed to carry five _horses_ abreast, not bicycles…\”

😉

I think you\’re comparing apples and oranges…

• MattD August 10, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Got up at 5:00 to make it to St. Johns by 6:15 so my wife and I could join ~60 other members of Portland Velo to go man the course from that last rest stop down to the Rose Garden. Got to my post about 7:10 and pulled out my book… 7:45 the first rider comes by then another then another then another x 10000 🙂

Sitting and watching you see all sorts on on this ride. Families, people on hand crank bikes, a few tall bikes.. about half a dozen unicycles. Some tandom recumbants, a few electric trikes. Tons of folks wearing headphones, a lot NOT wearing helmets, a ton not wearing helmets correctly, and a good handful of folks who had helmets with them, but had them stored or clipped to their bike? (???) Only saw one person smoking this year lol.

I think the worst for me was towards the end where a pair of gals at a house across the street were standing out on the front porch singing \”Mama Mia\” over and over again. At that point I put my headphones! 😉

• jrep August 10, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Like the comments above, it was much better than last year. There are still too many people who don\’t seem to understand the concept of \”slower traffic keep to the right.\” We\’re not speedsters, even among the family ride group, and I don\’t like to pass on the right, but some people just wouldn\’t move over! One rider I passed on the right was on her cell phone! If you were passed on the right by more than a few riders, it\’s probably an indication that you were riding on the wrong part of the road. I expect the kids to be a little erratic, but adults should pay attention. All in all, a good ride. Thanks, volunteers!

• Graham August 10, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Not to pile on, but, #14:

Along the lines of what Lisa said, I couldn\’t help thinking (jokingly) that in much the same way, the World Naked Bike Ride doesn\’t give riders a sense of what it\’s like to ride with clothes on…

I hear ya, but I also think there might be a lot of people who participate in the Bridge Pedal, and thusly encouraged to simply get on their bikes in the first place, then move on to real day-to-day cycling. Think of it as an incubator.

It\’s precisely at the point at which they move on to the real thing that they could use something like the BTW day ride you describe.

Maybe there\’s a need for a BP follow-up? A guided \”Bridge Pedal in the Real World\” ride?

• Scott Mizée August 10, 2008 at 5:01 pm

@ North Portlander: Sorry you think

I think the Bike to Work days and this event are a completely different situation. Bridge Peal is enjoyed by thousands and is not about learning to ride with traffic in downtown streets. I think it achieves its goal very well.

What is your name, North Portlander? I think it would be great to chat more.

• Rob August 10, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Some encouraging news: oregonlive dot com is reporting that the two riders that were transported from the event via ambulance are expected to recover. I\’m quite relieved to hear that.

• Alison August 10, 2008 at 5:52 pm

The day was beautiful, the route was very well planned. No bottlenecks. The kid announcing the donut rest stop in Sellwood was one of my highlights.

I have a concern… many riders seemed unaware of basic bicycling safety practices. I urge the organizers, sponsors, and the BTA to promote safe riding on the website and in pre-ride promotions.

Something like Top Three Safety Tips for a safe Bridge Pedal…

I saw three ambulances along the 11-bridge route. I started around 7:30.

I don\’t know if it merited an ambulance, but I saw a a teenage girl who had been talking on her cell phone riding the yellow line do an endo into a group of those white barriers. I think that was a very painful lesson.

• Graham August 10, 2008 at 5:52 pm

From the Oregonlive article

The experience of riding without cars — even on the Marquam and Fremont upper decks — led riders like 23-year-old Lauren Kuehster to dream: \”What if it was always like this?\”

Bingo!

It\’s a good article:

• Johnny C. August 10, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Good to see people got to use their bike racks on their cars today! Dust those bikes off people dust em off.

• Chilly Willy August 10, 2008 at 6:33 pm

It was my first- I was impressed with the organization and route.

Since I had other obligations today, I only did the family ride today- saw lots of happy kids, some neat bikes, and learned how to pronounce bach-feets. (nice calves dude, you could kick trees over with \’em)

• G Force August 10, 2008 at 7:57 pm

I just started biking this past Spring and have been thankful to live in Portland where it is so supported and there are many options for safe cycling. I\’ve done the Springwater often and have minimized street riding just to get my stride before hitting more streets.

The Bridge Pedal was truly amazing and one of the best things I\’ve ever done. To North Portlander\’s comments above: I think the point of this ride is to enjoy a ride without worrying about traffic signs, stops, road rules, etc. There are plenty of options to learn those and that was never a stated objective of this ride. Yes, all cyclists should observe the rules of the road and that applies equally to pedestrians, cyclists, and motorized vehicles. And it\’s nice to have a day when cyclists own the road and can enjoy the fun of biking these routes such as I-405.

The friend I cycled with has done past Bridge Pedals and he thought that the pack of riders was much tighter most of the ride than last year. He said many times last year you were able to hit a good stride without being too crowded but this year it seemed crowded most of the ride. Not sure how to fix that and would have been nice at times. I also agree with the comments on people passing on the right, and it takes both slower riders moving right and faster ones being observant of traffic ettiquette and shifting left.

My only negatives today were the woman who clipped me on the St. John\’s Bridge and caused me to skid to the side and fall, and never stopped to see if I was okay. And the man who was on his cell phone and not looking when he rode into me by the St. John\’s rest stop.

I\’ll do the Pedal again next year in a heartbeat!

• Loree August 10, 2008 at 7:59 pm

My second Bridge Pedal, after my last one in 2005. Family engagements have kept me from the last two, but I didn\’t want to miss another year. I convinced my husband (he was skeptical at first) to try the 6-bridge ride with me, and we had a great time. After the wait to get started, we had a pretty steady ride, with very few delays.

My poor hubby did wipe out on the first set of railroad tracks on Front Street, scraping his knee and hand. After we pulled off to the side to attend to his (minor) wounds and get his chain back on, we watched two more people wipe out there. No major injuries. I told him it was a rite of passage. 😉

His comments: \”The Bridge Pedal not only offered an opportunity to see the city from a new perspective, it also offered me an opportunity to fall flat on my @ss, which was also a new and different experience. [laugh] And it was fun. I had a blast.\”

Next year I\’ll have him on the 8- or even 11-bridge ride, just you wait and see. 🙂

• Schrauf August 10, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I think North Portlander is a troll trying to cause useless discussion. How could anyone compare a fun ride like the Bridge Pedal, to Bike to Work and other educational events? Totally different things, with different goals.

Do you think this large of an event could even be pulled off without a closed, or at least partially closed, course? There are plenty of events for people who need help riding and navigating in traffic.

So are road running events, such as marathons, pointless because they don\’t teach runners how to look out for traffic?

• Darby August 10, 2008 at 8:27 pm

First time. 8 bridge. Had a blast. Would do it again.

• John Russell August 10, 2008 at 8:36 pm

This was my first, so I went all out with the 11-bridge ride. I would have to say that riding the length of 405 was my favorite part. Leaving at 7 am, the only significant bottleneck I encountered was getting onto the MLK viaduct. After walking and coasting for a minute or two, it was all behind us. I think next year, if they do the MLK viaduct again, they should divert all auto traffic onto Grand and leave two lanes on MLK for bikes. The only other problems were some of the one-lane segments when fair-weather riders would ride three or four abreast. While I think being able to ride all over the place is one of the best parts about it, I think it would be helpful to encourage common rules of the road such as slower vehicles keeping right.
    I had and saw quite a few close calls that could have easily been avoided by following some of those rules more closely, but nothing as bad as what I counted to be the at-least-five-bike pile-up coming down the Marquam.

• Tom Miller August 10, 2008 at 8:59 pm

I\’m in the tiny minority (of 1?) that enjoyed last year more than this year. Last year I rode all the bridges and experienced the Springwater Trail bottleneck. But looking back, I guess that didn\’t bum me out much because hey, it\’s Bridge Pedal, a beautiful day, and nearly 20,000 folks are on bikes.

This year I had a totally different ride. I took my daughter, who\’s 2, and we did the six-bridge family ride. While we didn\’t experience any epic bottlenecks on par with Springwater last year, the number of bottlenecks were more numerous.

And as others have reported, the family ride can be a little bit hairball with so many kids wizzing about. For instance, I\’m not exactly sure what happened, but a younger girl (10 or so) broke her wrist on the descent down the Marquam.

My wife thought she might have been cut off by some boys; I thought she might have caught a pothole. In either case (if either is correct) the lack of experience in the saddle is illustrative.

I hope she\’s doing fine, and I applaud and encourage parents who bring their kids that are old enough to ride on their own. I would never discourage a parent from encouraging children to ride. I\’m merely noting it can be a little crazy out there with the young ones.

At the intersection of Burnside and SW 2nd I experienced it a little more intimately. We were stopped to let a few cars through (north/south) and a little guy behind me apparently couldn\’t come to a complete stop and put his front wheel into my heel. He went down but not so bad.

Fortunately we both walked away okay, but that was dumb luck. If it had been his pedal instead of his tire he would have ripped up my (exposed) heel pretty good. And he would have gone sideways and down hard.

The biggest annoyance was being squeezed into one lane to accommodate a handful of cars. I don\’t see the cost/benefit in that situation. I recommend giving bicyclists two lanes at all times, especially so with the younger set that isn\’t yet as mindful of their fellow riders in front, behind, left and right.

If two lanes means the street needs to be closed to cars, so be it. It\’s one morning one day per year. Or, it\’s 6 hours of 8760 hours total, 0.0007% of the time.

All in all, another great ride and proud Portland phenomenon. I expect to be on the family ride again next year and I\’d love to experience it with two travel lines dedicated to the 15,000-20,000 of us out there.

• Tom Miller August 10, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Correction: the broken wrist occurred on the descent off the Ross Island.

• jaime August 10, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Totally forgot this weekend was bridge pedal and tried to go from Laurelhurst to Bethany for a round of golf in my car (I drive about four times a month). Tried to take 405 S, what a mistake! Took me an 1:15 to get over to the west side. Would\’ve hated to be a car traveling through portland today without knowledge of bridge pedal. Entire automobile infrastructure just crippled by the closure of 405S.

• Ben McLeod August 10, 2008 at 9:22 pm

This was my first Bridge Pedal. I rode it with my wife and our two kids, and we had a blast.

We rode the six-bridge family ride, and the sailing was pretty smooth (with the exception of the Burnside congestion; but whatever, it was fun).

Just being out on the roads with 17,000-or-so other riders is a wonderful experience.

I took some pictures and posted them here.

See you all next year!!

• Doug Strickler August 10, 2008 at 9:25 pm

My daughter was one of the riders that ended the ride in an ambulance. She got tangled up with a rider who was passing her just after we got off the Ross Island Bridge. The riders had gotten a little bunched up so there wasn\’t much room to maneuver and both riders misjudged speed and available space. At first we thought she\’d broken her wrist, but it turned out that she had just landed on it hard and banged it up pretty well (i.e. lots of pain with the attendant scrapes and bruises). It\’s probably one of a parent\’s worst moments – being close enough to see your child heading into an accident, yet not being able to react in any way to stop it.

I want to thank the people who stopped immediately to provide help (several people provided traffic control and helped with our bikes, a young woman who was a doctor was there within about three minutes and two people had called 911 before we even asked) and advice. I certainly wouldn\’t wish this sort of incident on anyone, but it was a heart-warming display of attention from people who were willing to interrupt their activity to offer to be of help. It\’s a wonderful event and we hope to be back next year with more experience and more attention to the changing conditions that we\’re riding in.

• Sherry August 10, 2008 at 9:28 pm

I, too, woke up at 5 am to meet Portland Velo in St Johns to volunteer. Thank you to Starbucks in St Johns for donating the much needed coffee that helped wake me up and put a big smile on my face as thousands of happy cyclists passed me on N Greeley Ave.

A poor cyclist (one of the first to pass me this morning) had a flat but no spare tube. (everyone should always carry extra tubes when the ride!) I felt bad and wish I would have thought to bring some extras with me.

Also, I met some incredible people today and had a blast! There were neighborhood \”volunteers\” supporting the volunteers – brilliant!
    Portland is awesome!

• JeffW August 10, 2008 at 9:49 pm

This was our first BP, and we had a great time. My wife and I did the 8 bridge route. My wife was concerned about how she\’d be able to handle it on her new Oma, but she did great. She was thrilled when she finished without having walk up any of the hills, remarking to the countless people that asked about the bike, \”I\’m a swimmer, not a cyclist.\”

We saw several minor accidents along the way, but things didn\’t seem to get dicey until towards the end when the 6-bridgers joined up. A lot of novice riders, but god bless \’em for getting out there. We saw half a dozen people spill on the tracks, even with the volunteers warning everyone.

Great overall experience and we\’d do it again.

• nonlineargirl August 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm

The difference a year makes. I almost didn\’t sign up again after last year, but I am glad I did. My husband and I did the 8 bridge ride, and it was smooth going the whole way. I am so thrilled the bridge pedal figured things out this year.

• Graham August 10, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I find myself doing mental exercises to put the reports of crashes and injuries into perspective. For instance, imagine if we unleashed this many drivers of this level of inexperience into traffic of this density all at once. Or, on the flip side, imagine how much bicycle riding skills and road manners would improve if we got to do this more than 0.0007% of the time? (Thanks for doing the math on that one, Tom.)

For this concentration of inexperienced riders doing something this unfamiliar – especially with the speeds you can achieve coming down off those bridges – it sounds like it went really smoothly.

Ben, #36, I really like this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/benmcleod/2750854309/in/set-72157606653362288/

• brettoo August 10, 2008 at 10:44 pm

AFter last year\’s fiasco, when dozens (at least) of us were turned away from the Fremont Bridge, I wasn\’t planning on Bridge Pedaling again. But a friend was visiting from back east and said it sounded like fun, so I lent him my old bike and off we went with another friend on the 6 bridge ride. And it was much nicer than last year, as many have noted above. I was critical of the organizers last year so must tip my helmet to them this time for figuring it out.

I agree with the above suggestions that some kind of pre=race talk be given on some basic rules (like don\’t pass on the right) because a few impatient types had some near=misses.

And even on the family ride, I wish there was some way to segregate the kids — as happened last year, I saw way too many near-collisions caused by a young \’un suddenly veering in front of someone else. Made it hard to get much momentum going around them, and meant I had to be paying more attention to them than to seeing the sights from the bridges. (Of course we always need to pay attention to riders and drivers around us, but I had to be much warier around the kids than I would have with adults.) I don\’t blame the kids for being kids, of course. It would just be nice to find a way to give them a bit more space.

Admittedly, I could have avoided kids by doing one of the earlier rides but those start times are just too early for someone who likes to stay out late on Saturday nights. I realize they need to re-open the bridges to cars, but I wish there was some way to have a later start for slackers like me.
    Anyway, a good time for me and my friends and a redemption for the organizers. As always, so empowering to see so many of us ruling the roads. Glad I did it. And it finally got me to join the BTA!

• Barbara Kilts August 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm

As everyone said, a great ride! My daughter and I did the 11 bridge ride and had a lovely time. We started a bit after 7:30, cruised along, hit all the rest stops, enjoyed all the views. The middle section mixing up with the family riders was smooth, just a few of the weaving kidlets to keep you on your toes!

I\’ve done several of the past BPs and this was by far the best layed out. I really appreciated the signs used to indicate which direction to go instead of only having the volunteers yelling out instructions. And the volunteers deserve much kudos, especially the fellow that brought his bike and trainer stand – he got to ride AND be a course marshal!

So even with the latish start, I never felt rushed and there was plenty of food at the rest stops. I, too, sort of missed the music on top of the bridges, but just being up there with family, friends and a gazillion other folks is what make Bridge Pedal so special!

Barbara

• Russ August 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Are they not selling Nutcase helmets anymore for Bridge Pedal?

They probably dropped them last year and I didn\’t notice.

• G Force August 10, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Forgot to ask this earlier in my post: any word on the rider (or riders) injured on the St. John\’s Bridge today? It happened just after we crossed and we heard others tell us it looked like a broken collarbone. I\’ve seen Marquam and Ross Island injuries mentioned here, but nothing about St. John\’s.

• Old Timer August 11, 2008 at 7:28 am

I have done few of BP\’s in the past, pretty fun. This year, the only bridges I was interested in riding over are the Marquam and Freemont, most of the others you can ride over any time.
    It turns out that it is incredibly easy to just get on your bike and join the ride as an unregistered rider. I did the two big bridges then went on my merry way, no bottlenecks, no crowds.

• Mike Houck August 11, 2008 at 7:59 am

I quit last year\’s ride in frustration at the waits and vowed not to ride it again. I\’m pleased to say I gave it another chance and rode the 11 bridge route. Other than missing the split after Ross Island, due most likely to my own inattentiveness, and riding the Hawthorne Bridge 3 times….making it a 13 bridge ride for me…..I thought this year\’s ride was fabulous. Any glitches, such as a later start, were minute compared to last year\’s interminable waits at the Ross Is Bridge and near the end.

Fabulous job!

Mike Houck

• KT August 11, 2008 at 8:48 am

So… we did the 11-bridge ride.

Met up with our Team at 6:30, got in line at 6:45– Hung out with a LOT of really nice people on bikes waiting for the start.

Loved ! starting by going across the Fremont and then riding the freeway to the Marquam. It was awesome. I couldn\’t stop grinning!

And the Broadway: bikes both directions! It was also awesome! If only this was an everyday occurrance… 🙂

Saw lots of people riding and talking on their cell phones. Really? You can\’t a) stay off the phone for a couple hours (all the conversations I overheard were about trivial stuff) or b) pull over to the side? Riding and talking on your cell isn\’t the brightest thing to do under normal circumstances– it\’s even less bright when you\’re riding in a crowd of mixed abilities.

I also second and third the \”slower riders keep right\” idea. I apologize for passing on the right, but I gave audible warning (both voice and bell) before doing it.

I second and third the idea of the organizers posting basic ride etiquette on their website– and on the ride bibs. Lots of people not looking when they pull over, not giving any warning that they were going to go in an unexpected direction, not being spatially aware, lots of weaving around the middle of the road– Sorry, but I\’m going to pass wherever I feel safe doing so if only to get away from you.

The only small jam-up was on the way to the Sellwood… and even though we came to a very brief stop, we at least continued rolling forward with enough momentum that the unicyclist didn\’t have to dismount.

The Marquam crash happened behind me… and the St Johns crash also happened behind me. I was at the St J rest area when the ambulance went up the bridge, though.

The end was much different than last year; for one thing, they set up the finish way far away from the Bite. I slowly and politely made my way through the end crowd on foot, then got back on my bike to go down to the Bite.

Yes, we got in for free with our ride bibs again this year. No, the food and beverages were NOT free. They never are, unless you were sampling from the Calphalon folks.

One of our group was on his first bridge pedal, and so enjoyed himself, he\’s already said he wants to do next year as well.

The weather was great, the participants were, for the most part, great, the volunteers and police were AWESOME, and the donut kid was hilarious!

Great job, BP organizers!!

• Angela August 11, 2008 at 9:13 am

MUCH smoother than last year! My friend and I started the 11-bridge ride at 6:45 and only encountered a couple of tight spots. We had to get off our bikes and walk for a couple of minutes on the way to the Sellwood bridge, but that\’s nothing compared to 2007\’s standstill. Bravo to the organizers and all the wonderful volunteers for your efforts to make this a great experience.

• John August 11, 2008 at 10:27 am

My big disappointment last year was missing the cutoff at the Fremont for the St. Johns bridge due to the congestion, since being stuck in last years bottlenecks was surprisingly fun.

This being my 5th bridge pedal, I started the 11 bridge ride at the 7:30 start and had a great ride with no real congestion or bottlenecks. It was a great ride on a great day and I think the organizers adequately worked around the problems of previous years.

If I had to complain about something it would be the slower riders who would ride 4 abreast taking up the entire width of the street or the slower riders who didn\’t stay right. But that is a problem with the riders and not the organizers. I did some dodging of the cones this year to get around some knots of riders buy not as much as in previous years.

All in all it was a lot of fun and I\’m happy I participated.

• Kevin August 11, 2008 at 10:40 am

After riding the Bridge Pedal for the last 5 years I opted to ride the other bridge ride, the \”Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour\” sponsored by the Mid Willamette Valley Bicycle Club. 500 riders on scenic rural roads, 5 covered bridges, great support, and experienced riders.
    More challenging and a whole lot less frustrating!

• mele August 11, 2008 at 11:09 am

i did the 11-bridge ride with my husband and two of our friends, and we had THE GREATEST TIME. the late start was actually a blessing for us, or we probably wouldn\’t have easily been able to meet up with our friends otherwise. it would be great if tri-met had a few earlier buses on some of those sunday-infrequent routes to make it easier for people to get out to the start in time without having to add more miles to their ride.

i had such a great time on the ride and getting myself ready for it that i\’m taking a day off and then starting to commute 24 miles/day to my job in vancouver from ne portland on a regular basis. and my husband and i will be at the pedal every year from now on.

only one other suggestion, from my friend, mostly, **where was the coffee at registration/the first rest stop?**

and finally, like the girl that was quoted in the oregonian piece, i really did have a vision of bike highways in this city in the future, as well… and i am terribly excited about it! come on Sam, bring them on, if 17,000 of us coming out for this shows you anything, we\’d definitely use them!

• K'Tesh August 11, 2008 at 11:28 am

This year I did the 6 bridge ride, and I felt that it was a lot better than last year (rode the 10 bridges). The improvements on the Ross Island leg was the best improvement.

I think that there were a lot of areas that could be improved… Namely in making hazards known, and as I was documenting one, a little girl crashed due to someone passing her too close. Her wrist was broken.

I\’d suggest to the news media that perhaps they have in the week(s) proceeding a ride of this nature some tips on bike safety in groups. A lot of people (little and big) were weaving in a scary manner all over the place, and I was amazed that I only saw the one crash.

I did see a lot of smiles on the ride, and I hope that the little girl who was hurt heals quickly…

God Bless

• Bruce August 11, 2008 at 11:43 am

The guy on the Marquam appeared to have serious depressed fractures of his left facial bones. Hope he\’ll be ok.

People still seem to think it\’s ok to stand in the middle of the route, bike positioned sideways, drinking Starbucks! And the St Johns Bridge should\’ve been made safer. There were cars, trucks, and motocycles flying by us at high speed. I was cringing, waiting for a rider to go outside the cones and get nailed.

Still better than last year, though & I\’ll do it again next year!

• the future August 11, 2008 at 11:53 am

11 bridge ride was a good time. would do it again. i\’d add to any improvements would be for people to better secure their water bottles. saw one crash and several near misses due to rogue water bottles on the course.

otherwise awesome to look from the marquam and see almost all the bridges full of bikes. if only that were the norm.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) August 11, 2008 at 12:03 pm

UPDATE on injured Marquam rider:

just spoke with ride staff. here\’s an update:

The man is still at Legacy Emanuel. Fractured bones in his face.. will undergo surgery and will likely be in the hospital for the next few days.

• Donald August 11, 2008 at 12:11 pm

So in a red-light moment on my ride in this morning, I started wondering: What if they ran this ride twice a year and did a lottery for positions?

You could limit it to 10,000, 5000, 2500, or even 500. Set the price to match the overhead plus a generous bit for whatever charity.

I know, the idea will get pinged as exclusionary, but I guess I model it on trying to get a tag for a mountain goat (which is another ping altogether…) Some folks who are really good at hunting, who really enjoy hunting can wait years if not a lifetime for the chance. And yet each year they try again for the rare chance to challenge themselves.

I\’m not one to pay to play, so I\’ve never done the ride. I\’ve done all the bridges, though, at one time or another. That\’s another story. But I do know it\’s possible given the right circumstances.

But it does seem to me that the few frustrations I\’ve heard or read about mostly seem to be along the lines of too many riders of differing skill levels.

Limiting the ride to a few lucky folks with enough belief in their own skills to pony up some big bucks might be an option. (Run, Charlie, run!)

I can anticipate some of the reactions that may come. I\’m only trying to suggest that competition for limited resources has more than one answer at times.

Happy to hear almost everyone made it this year with few injuries and, apparently, only small gripes. Spotted more than one vest riding home across the I-5 bridge as we trailered/trailabiked the boys to the Vancouver farmers market.

• Ed August 11, 2008 at 2:12 pm

My son crashed on the St Johns bridge. I was 3 or so bikes behind him when he went down. Before I could get to him a gentlemen was there telling everyone to step back that he was a Doctor. Before I knew what was going on 2 Doctors who stopped were checking my son out. Then it seemed immediately the Fire Truck was there and then the ambulance. Not sure how they got there so quick. One could not have asked for a better response from those who stopped and help and the immediate response from the fire and rescue folks. Thanks to all.

Luckily my Son was only bruised and has some road rash. He finished the ride and think enjoyed it all except for the crash!. Now he gets a new bike helmet because the one he was wearing did it\’s job. Other wise I am sure he would of finished the ride in the ambulance. As some who was right hooked by a car and now seeing my son fall I was amazed at the number of STUPID people I saw riding without a helmet. ALWAYS wear a helmet it can mean the difference between life as you know it and DEATH or BRAIN DAMAGE.

• lunchrider August 11, 2008 at 2:48 pm

I have ridden many a Bridge Pedal, starting with the first. This one just as much fun for me. I started in the first wave and let the police car motor pace me and our group of 15 until he pulled off as we meet up with the red riders and crossed the Hawthorne Bridge.
    Yes, I guess I was riding faster then most, but I was safe calling out and watching for openings. It would be nice if people left room on the left to pass but what the heck its a celebration of bikes so just enjoy it. In under 2 hours I was heading home having had a great time ( and a good work out!)

• Jim August 11, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Bring back the bag pipers!

• Katelyn August 11, 2008 at 8:01 pm

This was my first Bridge Pedal (I did the happy medium of the 8-bridge ride), and let me say:
    WOW-WEE!!

First of all, I don\’t think that this ride was supposed to be about bicycle saftey at all; I wear my helment *correctly*, use bike lanes, and obey traffic laws every day–
    But when do I get to ride my bike *safely* over the Freemont Bridge, the Marquam Bridge, and the St. John\’s Bridge??!!
    (answer: never ever, other than last Sunday!!)
    Not everyone who participated was an expert safety cyclist/paranoid rule follower, but that is the nature of getting (how many people? 20,000?!) people together on their bicycles. Which is a great thing to have happen!

On a more personal note:
    When riding east over the Hawthorne Bridge, I always wonder at the constant sluggish mass of cars funneled onto the Marquam Bridge going north. Although in the most basic way it is aesthetically pleasing, it makes me a lil bummed out… sooo many cars…
    But Sunday morning– was I delirious from only 6 hours of sleep?? NO!! Instead of boring smelly cars the bridge was gloriously and generously occupied by smilin, stoked bicyclists!!!
    I felt ecstatic, I wanted it cry. Woo! (Anybody else feel that way??!!)

Thanks for the opportunity, it was a great event.

• w. August 11, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Where were the helmet-police?!?! I would say that I saw anywhere between 35-50 registered riders (wearing the vests) with no helmet in sight!!!

What\’s the deal?!

• Caroline August 11, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Talking to a nurse who took care of one of the Bridge Pedal casualties on Sunday afternoon, she said, \”he looks like he was beaten with a baseball bat.\”

I mis-heard her, and really thought for a minute that a Bridge Pedaler had been beaten with a baseball bat!

That wouldn\’t have surprised me, either.

• Carla August 11, 2008 at 10:58 pm

My son, husband and I had a great time. This was our 3rd year, progressing from the 6 bridge, 8 bridge and this year the 11 bridge. We had been concerned about parking over by the new start area but many thanks to Legacy Emanuel for allowing parking in their lot!

• Jenn August 12, 2008 at 1:10 am

I was doing the 24hour velo vulture alleycat scavenger hunt, and was sitting at the friendship circle sculpture at around 7am watching everyone taking a break from staying up all night drinking some coffee.

it was nice to see some gentle lovers out there in team kits and some of the river city team, saw a veloshop team member also.

it wasn\’t nice to see people getting out of their $30,000+ SUV\’s in their $200 team kit taking their $4,000 carbon road bikes that have only been used once, and i\’m guessing it was for another blocked off police accompanied event, off of their $200 rack.

***deleted by moderator*** and ride downtown or take the max.

it was nice having the bridges blocked off for the race, so nice bombing down interstate to the broadway and not having to worry about any cars at the light at the bottom and keeping speed up got up to like 30+ got yelled at by some people that \”this isn\’t a race\” \”slow down\”
    i kept to the far left people calm down, remember you said that the next time you fly inches by me in your car.

• Graham August 12, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Katelyn #61:

I felt ecstatic, I wanted it cry. Woo! (Anybody else feel that way??!!)

Word up! 🙂 Thanks for speaking to the beauty of this event.

That the sudden absence of cars on the Marquam is so startling shows how normally resigned we are to, and accepting of, the inevitability of a world clogged with big, dangerous, smelly machines. In that absence we see a crack in the inevitable.

Like that picture I saw in another thread, showing how Park Avenue in NYC got its name: http://tinyurl.com/32ucx7. It was a park! I love that. Could it be a park again?

That to me is the major, potentially transformative value of the Bridge Pedal: it\’s brief glimpse into a way things could be.

In that light, all the summing up of the event in terms of crashes and bad manners seems to me like too much focusing on the negative. It reminds me a bit of the way the local media wants to sum up the whole of cycling in Portland in terms of altercations between drivers and cyclists.

I guess it\’s natural to focus on the negative – especially the negative that stands in stark contrast to the otherwise overwhelmingly positive. Maybe seeing beauty just takes more effort.

• aloysius August 12, 2008 at 2:07 pm

It was so much fun!!!

My ride partner and I did the 8-bridge route this year, our second Bridge Pedal. We were late (again) and only got started at about 8 a.m. I\’m not sure when which groups started, but we ended up in a mix of fast roadie bros and parents with their kids. So it was kind of hard getting around the trailers and little dudes, because if we tried to go left, we were in danger of being knocked over by Lance & Company.

I was about a foot from the orange cones on the right side of the lane on Hwy 30, and a spandex guy blew past almost hitting my elbow and growling \”ON YOUR RIGHT!\” which i always thought was supposed to be a friendly warning, not the inducement of a heart attack. I tried to stay to the right as much as possible, but I got passed on the right anyway. People passed really close on the left, as well. It was kind of a free-for-all in that sense. The margins between people were very small, which was scary because so many people were so unpredictable (not totally innocent of this, myself). We were stopped short a few times by people who\’d stopped suddenly to take pictures or who walked or rolled right into traffic.

It was really hard to get in and out of traffic because there were so many people. If I could pick one thing to ask Providence to look into, that\’d be it. We didn\’t want to stop for pictures sometimes because we didn\’t want to have to exit and reenter traffic.

I saw a girl bite it while trying to avoid another cyclist, and when she went down, the guy behind her ran her over. Saw an ambulance on Hwy 30, and heard (but didn\’t see) a unicyclist wipe out in St. Johns. So we had a lot of fun but it was hard to ignore the constant threat of grievous injury. We had so many close calls! Providence should definitely add a bike safety blurb to their Bridge Pedal materials. (Maybe they could add \”Please do not blow snot rockets in front of fellow riders\” in there, too. :)) Some people don\’t care about safety guidelines, but a lot of people would be interested, and that could make a difference. I know the number of people in accidents was very small compared to the number of people who rode, but it was still nerve-wracking.

Anyway, despite all that, we had a blast and will be back next year!

• KT August 12, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Hey Jenn #65: maybe people were telling you it wasn\’t a race because…. IT WASN\’T A RACE.

Bridge Pedal has never been a race. I could really wish people would stop calling organized rides \”races\”. THEY\’RE NOT.

If you want to race, go enter an actual RACE.

That said: I also got up some good speed going down the inclines… don\’t know if anyone yelled at me or not, I didn\’t hear any. I also stayed far to the left, and watched my mirror for overtaking riders so I could get out of their way.

Katelyn #61: I too reveled in the beauty of roads and bridges full of bikes. Just fantastic. Amazing.

• Radness August 12, 2008 at 3:37 pm

KT,

she wasn\’t doing the bridge pedal, she was just riding through it for one bridge while she competed in an alleycat. She was in fact racing.

you\’re just confused becuase she used this comment area meant for people who actually did the bridge pedal as a soapbox for slagging actual riders. Don\’t forget Jenn, that the $4,400 was most likely spent at a LBS, which in turn funds the racers that you so proudly saw riding the bridges.

Also, next time you get an action shot taken of you at alpenrose, try and ooch your way onto the actual racing surface. it looks cooler.

• ryan August 12, 2008 at 10:45 pm

I must admit, I enjoyed the 2007 Bridge Pedal better than this year\’s. Two main reasons:

* Last year\’s seemed much more festive. I think it was the bands playing on the bridges that I missed this year.

* People need to learn some basic bike safety, like riding in a straight line and not swerving to the side without checking behind them. I noticed this much more this year than last year. The organizers should consider distributing or posting a \”helpful hints\” guide to riders. I felt constantly on edge and worried of crashing, and not able to enjoy the scenery.

Other than those two things, though, all was great! I\’ll definitely be back next year.

• Carol August 12, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Our first bridge pedal. We rode in the green group.

What a great ride. FANTASTIC!

The organizers did a wonderful job. See you next year.

• Mindy C August 15, 2008 at 12:39 am

This was my first time on the Bridge Pedal, and everyone in our six person party really enjoyed the experience. We did the 6 Bridge Pedal, and another group walked.

I was told by co-workers that it would be dangerous and the potential for getting hurt was high, so I was pretty nervous joining the ranks Sunday morning.

Since I\’m not a commuter, I took it very slow. I kept an eye on all the members of my party to make sure we were safe, and managed to make the finish line without encountering harm.

I was especially worried about my five year old nephew.

He made it safely through the entire ride. His only wipe-out was with a light pole coming up the waterfront park before the Pedal even started. Poor guy. He\’s been biking with us for the past month in preparation, and his knees and shins are testament to his hard work.

I have to admit, I was a little saddened to hear all the annoyed comments about \”inexperienced riders\” and \”kids\” being in the FAMILY RIDE. I discovered that keeping an eye out and giving the swerving kids a good berth was fairly easy. Then again – I wasn\’t trying to \”get good speed\” so maybe I was more attuned to the situation.

I was merely trying to enjoy the ride and make sure the people around me were safe.

What was most distressing was when the family ride merged with the blue and red shirts – these speedsters were not communicating, and passing dangerously close on the right.

I had to swerve to avoid an accident with one of them, because they cut me off as the center median was coming up on our right. I had to slow down to avoid a collision, and they sped by without so much as a word.

I\’ve been incredibly disappointed with the lack of communication of riders in Portland as I prepped for this event. Especially along the Springwater Corridor Trail, where I\’ve seen bikers on every ride move at high speeds through entire families, without so much as a single word.

The only way I avoid collision is through keeping one ear tuned to the thrum of their tires. It feels only a little less dangerous at times than being on the road.

It\’s annoying enough that I have even gone so far as to thank people who use vocal signals, because it happens so rarely.

In these events, and in daily bike use – PLEASE USE VOCAL COMMUNICATION. Or if you can\’t be bothered, get a friggin bell.

I use both, and we are trying to set a good example for my nephew…but it seems rare out there.

Am I wrong? Maybe the trail and the Pedal are special cases.

Otherwise, it was a great event. Loved the spectacle and excitement of stopping traffic, and seeing all the bikers.

Loved speeding down off of the Marquam and Fremont. Would definitely do this again, but hope that future rides will provide better segregation of \”experienced\” and \”inexperienced\” bicyclists.

Believe me, we don\’t want you to run into us either. 😉

Much Love, Mindy C

• Ben August 15, 2008 at 4:47 pm

It was sooo fun. I took 1200 pics from my handle bars to make a movie. Check it out.

• Ben McLeod August 16, 2008 at 10:12 am

@ Jenn (#65): what an obnoxious, uninformed, self-righteous comment. Did you talk to any of those people with their $4000 bikes and ask them if they only ride it once or twice, or did you just make that assumption? I too bristle at big, luxury SUV\’s (and jacked-up pickup trucks), but at least these people were out on the ride.

I would have loved to have taken the MAX into PDX, but my wife and I came in with our two kids, two bikes, a trailer and a trail-a-bike and that\’s just not realistic on the MAX (believe me, I\’ve tried it before!).

Stop being such a hater. It\’ll make life so much more pleasant.

On another note, I would really like to thank all of the friendly volunteers that woke up early and remained cheery throughout the morning. This ride would not have been possible without your heroic efforts. I also want to thank the many police officers that helped out along the route, as well as the firefighters in the fireboat (my kids thought that was pretty awesome – and I thought it really added to the festive atmosphere!). Thank you all!

• true August 16, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Ben – that picture movie was awesome.

I stayed away this year because I only had traffic jam nightmares before – but almost everything I hear sounds like it was great this year. That\’s what I get for being a Grumpy Gus. Perhaps I\’ll go again next year and see if I bring the nightmares with me. It\’ll be an experiment.

• Joan Hill August 21, 2008 at 2:22 pm

North Portlander:
    I couldn\’t help but laugh at you up there at post #14.

Dude, get a life. First of all Providence does not own the event. Bridge Pedal Inc. does.

If you want a Bicycle Safety parade– create you\’re own. The Bridge Pedal is not an event to promote medical research or meant to act as an education course. This event is to offer to opportunity to bicycle over the so-called illegal bike passages such as the Marquam and Fremont.

I have news for you; cyclists will bicycle wherever they want, whether it’s illegal, frowned upon or otherwise.

Get a Monday-Friday, 9-5 job like the rest of the world so Portland doesn’t have to rearrange everything to fit your schedule.

• KT August 21, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Hey now, NoPo had a few good points in his post #14, Joan.

And Joan had a few good points in her post, too… obscured by name calling and general puting-down-ness.

Yes, my group did NOT go over to the Lloyd Center area for the fair. I thought that was only on Saturday? We went to the Bite. Despite what we were told on the BP website and by people, we got in for free with our ride bibs, per the Bite\’s website.

Yes, some sort of interaction with more local businesses would have been good, and it would have been quite fantastic if there could have been some bike etiquette schooling going on.

We didn\’t have maps. We followed the signs and the crowds and the volunteers\’ directions.

Last year, they printed the map of the ride you were on, on the bib itself. I\’d like to see some bike ride etiquette list printed on them next year, just so that people can know what they SHOULD be doing.

Most of the problems appeared to happen because newer riders didn\’t know what to do in situations they found themselves in.

And Joan: if everyone had Monday through Friday, 9-5 jobs, the world would shut down every weekday at 5 and stay closed every weekend. How would we ever get our errands run, our dinners out, our gas and snacks on the way to our far-away destination? Be realistic, eh?

• Joan Hill August 21, 2008 at 7:58 pm

The Bridge Pedal is held every year on the 2nd Sunday of August. If you want to complain about not being able to get to your job that only contributes to \”errand running\” than plan accordingly, or ask for the day off so people can enjoy the event with their family.

Oh and the expo is on Saturday only, NOPO. Research pays off

• Tony Columbo August 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Oh my dear Cupcake.

So you believe everything should have shut down for you, a bicyclist?

You had to wait 10 friggen minutes for a train to go by? “Someone forgot to tell the RR company it was bridge pedal”.

I hope you are not the broad I find myself behind some mornings. I should be laying on my horn.

• Bob B August 9, 2010 at 10:22 am

To the rider who go to the 10 bridge start line at 7 AM, the start was at 6:30 AM. You were turned away for safety reasons. Coming off the Marquam Bridge (first pass) you could have collided with the 7 Bridge riders coming at you head on.
    As the guy running the volunteer team on the Marquam I had to stop about 12 people from going onto Water as they were too slow or too late.
    SAFETY FIRST
    Next time please be on time for the start and you will get what you paid for.