Support BikePortland

‘Share the Road’ plates hit snag over design

Posted by on January 28th, 2008 at 4:34 pm

[Updated: 7:05pm, 1/28]

Sources say that the DMV office in Salem has stopped issuing Oregon’s new “Share the Road” license plates.

According to an email I received from a reader, as of last Friday (1/25), the DMV has suspended all applications for the special plates “pending some sort of legal issue,” with the plates’ designer.

BTA spokesman Karl Rohde said they also received information from a volunteer who claimed to have heard the same thing from a DMV rep.

So far, I have been unable to track down the designer and/or other parties that would have more information.

*UPDATE: I have confirmed the information above and should have a full report and update by tomorrow (1/29) afternoon.

Kronda January 28, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Well, I think it should be illegal for anything that ugly to be attached to a car…could cause and accident. Maybe they\’ll hire someone new to make a pretty one!

Miguelaron January 28, 2008 at 4:41 pm

i\’ll do it

Liz January 28, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Any idea how many have been issued? We haven\’t seen one besides the one on our car.

Axe January 28, 2008 at 5:15 pm

That\’s too bad. I just saw one today for the first time. Frankly, I\’ve seen uglier…

John Russell January 28, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Just take a look at Washington\’s share the road plate.
    I vomit a little in my mouth every time I see one of those.

Dave January 28, 2008 at 7:13 pm

So are my new plates legit? I liked the design.

peder horner January 28, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Ack. I thought mine was in the mail…

Will January 28, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Mine arrived today. Judging from the sequence, almost 8000 have been issued.

Disco D January 28, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Not surprising, it looks like it was stolen out of some crappy clipart library.

Matthew January 29, 2008 at 7:27 am

Mine just came in the mail this morning. Ugly? Better than \”my other car is a Hummer\”. Helping out the BTA is not such a bad thing either…

MattD January 29, 2008 at 8:29 am

I love how people are complaining about the look of the thing and not happy about the fact that we actually HAVE a Share the Road plate.

I\’m sure we all have far more hideous cycling jerseys in our gear collection.

Ena January 29, 2008 at 9:29 am

I agree with MattD. All our hard work is getting in people\’s minds. The state is working to help spread our message. I think that is awesome. And despite what others think, I like Washington\’s STR plate.

In my Buddhist practice, we teach that complaining erases good fortune. So, smile and find something to be thankful for and you will attract great things into your life.

Moo January 29, 2008 at 9:31 am

I\’m just surprised that this thing has a \”designer\”…and even one willing to go public with some sort of issue over it.

Opus the Poet January 29, 2008 at 9:41 am

Yeah, well we can\’t all have Lance on our plates like Texas does. Did you know that Lance is currently the only living person on a licence plate?

Huggy Bear January 29, 2008 at 10:37 am

Thanks Ena #12, we like our STR plates here in WA.

themickeyd January 29, 2008 at 11:06 am

Uh, not everybody in WA likes our STR plates. I thought Pastels went out with \”Miami Vice\”.

coral January 29, 2008 at 11:28 am

Still waiting for ours, we went in on Jan. 8th to apply. How long did they take to arrive?

Anon. January 29, 2008 at 11:41 am

I was about to jump on this but the lines at the DMV have been out of control with the proof of SSN issue.

Liz January 29, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Coral- It took just over 2 weeks to get ours. We\’d applied in person on January 2nd, got them in the mail on the 19th, I think.

Zach January 29, 2008 at 12:06 pm

And I just put my order in the mail yesterday 🙁

Huggy Bear January 29, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Sorry # 16, I like my WA. STR tag not we as stated. I bought the tag for the STATEMENT not the color.

dave b January 29, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I just received mine in the mail yesterday and put them on my truck today.

Wonder what thier fate is?

Washingston States Bike plates are nice.

coral January 29, 2008 at 4:59 pm

hmm, i wonder if our application was put on hold then. It\’s been 3 weeks today since we went into the DMV.

peder horner January 29, 2008 at 9:31 pm

MattD #11:

\”I\’m sure we all have far more hideous cycling jerseys in our gear collection.\”

Not in my jersey collection!

Sincerely,

Style Man

Scott Mizée January 29, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Style Man….

sheesh… where\’s the manure spreader? We need to get that out in the pasture…
    ;-P

Scott Mizée January 30, 2008 at 5:58 am

Looking forward to your updated story on this issue… jab jab…. nudge nudge…

yum, bikes... January 30, 2008 at 10:07 am

So I guess I will take this off of my to-do list for now…. I saw my first plate on the road today, it was great! I wanted one!

Mike Lynch January 30, 2008 at 10:25 am

Coincidentally, I was the first person to be issued a Share the Road license plate, just because I had to get one the first working day of January. Looks fine on my car I guess, but I wonder if I will have to excghange it or something.

peder horner January 30, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Scott: HA!

I\’ll see YOU on Sunday buddy.