Support BikePortland

Citybikes to celebrate 20th anniversary

Posted by on March 24th, 2006 at 10:15 am

Citybikes door

[Happy 20th to Citybikes]

a visit to citybikes

[Coop founder Tim Calvert]

On March 4, 1986 Roger Noehren established Citybikes (it was turned into a workers cooperative in 1990). Twenty years later, the shop is an icon, essential resource and shop of choice for thousands of Portland cyclists.

While on a recent visit I noticed this little sign on their door. I wondered if I’d missed the party, but it turns out that they haven’t officially celebrated just yet. According to employee/owner Beth Hamon, they are planning a celebration this summer. Stay tuned for details on what is sure to be an event you won’t want to miss.

Thank you Citybikes for being such a great shop and resource for the bike community (and for selling my stickers!).

Please support BikePortland.

• Lenny Anderson March 24, 2006 at 10:48 am

Citybikes has taken care of our bikes for almost two decades. What a great place, great people. Thanks Tim, Peter and all the rest of the crew.

• josh m March 25, 2006 at 2:42 am

AWESOME.

I love city bikes.

Tonight, I stopped by there to pick up a rear axel for my fixie as well as a new track cog.
    They popped off my tire, checked the size of the bolt, and then bolted it all back on for free. They are awesome, how many times, they’ve helped me with used parts as well as new shit when I needed, i can’t count.
    They are a SE commodity that I can’t live without. I fucking love City Bikes. I even picked up some trackdrops there tonight for $20, fuck yah! kudos to citybikes! keep it up!

support our local independent shops!!!

• Carye March 28, 2006 at 10:09 am

My last three visits to City Bikes (the Annex I think) have been excellent. The people working when I’ve gone in have gone the extra mile. Whether I was buying panniers or getting my wheel replaced, they took the time to tell me about what was happening or what I was buying. I appreciated this extra care and information, and whole heartly recommend them.

• O Dampierre March 29, 2006 at 1:15 pm

20 years ago roger noehren starts citybikes 20 years later don’t know his email address if he has one so can’t send these photos taken last night (3-28) which he might be interested in seeing even though they have nothing to do with bikes portland http://kdotdammit.livejournal.com/709929.html

• roger noehren September 15, 2011 at 11:23 pm

A celebration was held five years later on 7/9/2011 for the 21st birthday (of the coop’s formation on 1/1/1990).