Can’t make it to NAHBS? Local builders plan send-off preview party

Posted by on February 6th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Event flyer.
(PDF)

The North American Handmade Bike Show (NABHS) is about one month away. I’m sure some of you plan to make the trip to Sacramento; but for those that won’t be there, a few local builders have put together a preview party right here in Portland.

“Show Me Yours” is a new event put together by framebuilder Ira Ryan of Ira Ryan Cycles and Ben Leonard from Trucker Racks. The show will take place from 6:00 to 10:00 pm on February 24th at The Cleaners (403 SW 10th Ave). Proceeds from the $5 ticket sales will be split between the builders to help off-set costs of going to NAHBS.

Builders at the show will include:

All builders will bring their NAHBS show bikes, giving attendees a rare chance to see them all in one place. While the event will help raise funds for the NAHBS trip, it’s also a chance for the builder’s themselves to see what their colleagues have put together. Often at the big shows, builders get so busy talking up fans and customers that they barely get a chance to leave their booths.

Tickets are $5 at the door, but a limited number of VIP tickets will be sold for $10. These tickets, available for sale only at West End Bikes (SW 11th and Stark, one block west of venue), will get you early entry and other special perks. (Inquire at West End Bikes as the show date approaches for ticket availability.)

Comments
  • Tony Pereira February 6, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Elitist Bike snobbery! I can’t wait

• ira ryan February 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

winter cycles from eugene is also set to attend but missed the press realease deadline. add him to the list. can’t wait to see all those pretty show bikes.

• Tom M February 7, 2012 at 1:36 am

Elitist shmitist. I just want to see what the local guys can make that no large corporation can. I want to see that Portland has some of the best and brightest ideas. The only problem I have is that I work evenings and this in of Friday night! Sorry guys, if it was Saturday or Sunday I’d be there in a heartbeat.

• DK February 7, 2012 at 10:05 am

$5 to look at bikes?

I can do this for free on the web or any bikeshop….Let me test-ride and we might have a deal.

• matt picio February 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Actually, no, you can’t – you can look at a picture of them online, and if you see an actual bike in a shop, it’ll just be one of them. And that might be totally fine for you – but a lot of folks would like to see the actual bikes, and no amount of pictures will capture all of the fine details to the extent that they can be viewed in-person. YMMV, of course.

• KT February 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Ask Christian to come out with the HUB Beerbike and donate a couple kegs. $5 entry goes to builders but gets you a pint. I’m there regardless and happy to pay, just an idea…

• Sky- Velo Cult February 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

Count me in and my staff in!

• METROFIETS February 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm

The beer bike will be there – the loud red one. With Hopworks’ beer on tap. http://www.beerbike.me

• Mark February 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I’m looking forward to it.

• erik February 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm

only $2 pints! with the vip ticket you get FREE beer from 4-6pm!

• dwainedibbly February 22, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Mrs Dibbly & I will be there, not to “pay $5 to look at bikes”, but to pay $5 to look at bikes and support the local builders. And have a beer.

Good luck at NAHBS!

• dwainedibbly February 25, 2012 at 3:20 am

Great event, awesome bikes, delicious beer (as always) and (OMG!) Mrs Dibbly won the Rapha package in the drawing! Thanks, Rapha! (She’ll be in touch today with sizes, etc)

(I won a half-pound of Stumptown Roasters’ finest, which is pretty cool, too.)

Anyone know if NAHBS has plans to come to Portland?