Cartlandia gets Portland’s first bike shop cart

Posted by on July 25th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Shop logo

‘Cartlandia,’ the food cart pod along the Springwater Corridor Trail that opened in May now boasts Portland’s first-ever bike shop cart.

The Bike Rack is a full-service repair shop in a trailer, and a welcome addition to a cart pod that’s adjacent to a popular bicycling route.

(Photo: Lee Hansen)

Owner Lee Hansen just opened the doors and is already excited about the future. “Our first week has been successful,” he said via email. “We’ve had a steady stream of cyclists with a variety of needs stop by.” Hansen says people are giving him a lot of positive feedback about the shop and the location.

Look for the roof-top sculptures
and you’re almost there.

The Bike Rack offers a full line of accessories and can do everything from small jobs to a major overhaul and wheel-building.

Here’s a ride idea: Bike out to Cartlandia and enjoy food and drinks from one of the seven food carts (Cascade Burger, London Pasty Company, and others) while your bike gets a tune-up! Roger Goldingay, the owner of Cartlandia is also hosting Portland Timbers viewing parties on their covered, outdoor big-screen.

For a limited time, The Bike Rack is even offering a free chain and cable lube job for anyone who rolls in. The Bike Rack is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10:30 am to 6:30 pm. Learn more on their website or Facebook page.

Good luck Lee (and Steve Nelson, the mechanic) and thanks for bringing a bike shop to the Springwater!

Comments
  • Scott Mizée July 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm

file this under “why hasn’t somebody done this before?” Great idea and I wish them success!

• Ted Buehler July 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Looks like a great business idea. I hope it becomes a trend. It’s an easy way to fill in gaps on the “bike shop within a 15 minute walk of anywhere” map.

Ted Buehler

• Ted Buehler July 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Cartopia was in a “bike shop desert.” This “bike cart shop” fits neatly into the void between Backpedal in Woodstock, and Cycle World near the Clackamas Mall.

Bike shops within walking distance is an important element of a car-free-friendly neighborhood.

Ted Buehler

• q`Tzal July 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm

So is the “Friendly Bike Guru on a Cart” ™ to wander the hoods bringing cheap fixit advice to the auto enslaved.
      Granted, a toy bike isn’t a good investment but, with some skill and the proper tools, that old Ba`al-Mart beater can ride farely well for a while.

• grimm July 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm

It would be great if this cart could be hauled out to cross races… Im sure there would be some people who would love a little pre-race tune up.

• Chezz July 25, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Hasn’t there been a bike-shop cart for years around SE Belmont and 9th? And also the guy who fixes bikes on a N Williams corner? This sounds like a good business but hardly “Portland’s first-ever.”

• JA July 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Welcome to the neighborhood! As someone who lives close by and is mechanically inept, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of reasons to visit on my way to and from work.

• Julien D July 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

It’s funny; this past weekend I rode the entire length and back of the Springwater Trail as it was something I’d only recently heard of. I had such a fun time doing it that I totally want to do it again this coming weekend. While about midway to the end of the trail; I saw this little bike stand as well as the food carts. Everyone and their mother was on the trail last weekend so I could easily see them raking in the dough! Great idea.!!

• Otto July 26, 2011 at 8:54 am

I think this is great. Hopefully it holds up during the winter, but this is the sort of thing that would encourage me to ride more often during winter. I wish there were places like this on the west side.

• Kristen July 26, 2011 at 9:18 am

That’s so cool!! I’m with Otto, we need something like this out on the west side.

It would be cool to have a Springwater Corridor out here on the westside, too– the Fanno Creek Trail is a different beast altogether from the Springwater.

• Jay July 26, 2011 at 10:02 am

Speaking of Fanno Creek; I will be attending those meetings starting with the next one from now on– (the one dealing with the dangerous Hall Blvd crossing). I use this daily and would really like to see it improved!

• Bikesalot July 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm

@Jay When/where are the meetings for Fanno? I do not recall hearing about any.