Headed to Austin for NAHBS later this month

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on February 1st, 2011 at 4:27 pm

NAHBS_Saturday-2.jpg
NAHBS in Portland, 2008.
(Photo © J. Maus)

I'm happy to announce that thanks to the sponsorship of United Bicycle Institute, I'll be traveling to Austin, TX for the 2011 North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) next month.

It's been four years since I headed down to San Jose for the show and three years since it stopped in Portland back in 2008. I've never been to Austin (or Texas for that matter), and I'm real excited to check it out.

Naked Bike at NAHBS-7.jpg
NAHBS is full of surprises.

Besides checking in on all the local bike builders and companies that plan to exhibit at the show (see the full list of exhibitors), I'll be on the prowl for the best bikes and stories NAHBS has to offer.

I'm curious how small handmade bike companies have weathered the economy. I'm also curious if a lot of brands have ceased to exist in the past few years, and how the more well-known brands have made moves to grow and build a sustainable business. I'll also be looking out for the big trends and designs that are likely to show up on production bikes in the years to come.

Send in your story ideas and questions about the handmade bike industry and I'll do my best to track down some answers.

I'll be in Austin from Wednesday, February 23rd to the 27th, so I should also have some time to soak up some Austin bike flavor as well (and I hear there's quite a bit). Stay tuned... And big thanks to UBI for stepping up to underwrite our presence at NAHBS.

If you're a handmade bike lover and appreciate all the coverage we've given them over the years, consider helping us pay for this trip by visiting our Support page and making a contribution.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • peejay February 1, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Jonathan, maybe you can report on the developing @lancearmstrong story while you're in Austin. Or, on the other hand, don't bother. I care more about the cool bikes.

• Julia February 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Yay! Enjoy Austin. Be sure to stop at Jack & Adam's. They are a fabulous bike/triathlon shop!! :) I'll have to check out this show. Sounds fun, and it's right in my backyard.

• Matt Haughey February 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Do what I did last year on a trip to Austin: eat a taco at every meal (breakfast tacos are perhaps the best of all).

Also, maybe interview new builders we've never seen before. I feel like NAHBS is already kind of worn out with the same dozen or so dudes that make the same kind of bikes. Try to pick out the truly different and not yet another fine lugged rando bike from a guy that has been in the business for a decade and boasts about a three year waitlist.

• Antload February 1, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Thanks UBI!

• DK February 2, 2011 at 8:11 am

6th street.

Enjoy!!!

• cold worker February 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

eat at polvo's on s. 1st. the rest of the town, meh. it's like a suburb on steroids.

• rigormrtis February 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I hear the hipsters there say "meh" about portland, too.

• cold worker February 2, 2011 at 8:11 pm

thanks for the pigeonholing of an anonymous stranger on the internet. i think i'm too old, wear too much black and camo and listen to the wrong music to be a hipster. i've lived there, that's my opinion of the place. so it goes. i grew up here, i like it better by a long shot, i'm biased.

• Ryan Marquardt February 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Safe travels, and enjoy the show! If you have time, go check out the bats under the Congress Ave bridge. They put on a great show just after sunset!

• cold worker February 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm

i think it's too early for the bats. they don't live there all year. the bats are great. a great hipster night out.

• Chris Sullivan February 3, 2011 at 12:05 am