Update on Karl Moritz: Making progress, but many unknowns

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on September 13th, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Several readers have emailed and posted in the Forums wondering how Karl Moritz is doing. Karl is the man who crashed his bike near Ladds Circle back in June. When he collided with a car traveling in the opposite direction, the impact resulted in a serious brain injury that left him in a coma.

The last time we shared an update, in mid-July, Karl had still not awaken from his coma. Thankfully he is now awake and speaking. I heard from his wife Staci yesterday. Here's what she shared:

"Karl is out of coma and speaking in complete sentences. The extent of his brain injury is not known at this time. He will move from the hospital to inpatient physical rehab in a couple of weeks. It is still a very scary time, as no doctor can give a prognosis. Karl, however, is making progress every day."

Given the circumstances, that has to be seen as promising news. For previous stories about Karl Moritz, including how you can donate to his family (he has two young boys), see our archives or visit HelpForKarl.com.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • scoot September 13, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Thanks for the update. The brain is an amazing thing - it's surely doing its best to heal. Strength to Staci and to Karl's friends and family - strangers are rooting for you.

• jeff September 13, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Nice, glad to hear he's out of the coma and still with his wife and kids.
    I think about him every single time I ride through Ladd's now...and I've often thought twice and avoided passing other riders with oncoming cars. Not worth the extra second or two.
    Best to them all.

• Stig10 September 13, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Sounds like you're a tough guy and on the mend, Karl. Fingers crossed and best of luck.

• A.K. September 14, 2010 at 7:35 am

Wow, I'm glad he's recovering! I've never met him, but I thought of that crash every time I rode down a side street in the Ladd neighborhood this summer.

I hope the good news continues for his family and things get better and easier for them!

• John September 14, 2010 at 8:28 am

Thanks you so much for updating this story. It makes my day to know Karl is recovering.

• Rob September 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

While it sounds like life is still a struggle for him, I'm really happy to hear this news. I'm sure life for his kids is a lot better with Dad around.

• Mindful Cyclist September 14, 2010 at 9:29 am

Keep fighting, Karl! Good to hear he is recovering.

• Joe September 14, 2010 at 9:30 am

Get Well Karl!

• matt picio September 14, 2010 at 9:46 am

Best of luck on your recovery, Karl, and all the strength, patience and love in the world to Karl, Staci & their sons. One thing that's so infrequently mentioned about families after an incident like this is the stress it puts on families, both during the coma / hospitalization and during the recovery period, where sometimes previously simple tasks can become incredibly difficult.

May the transition and recovery be easy, and may the adversity bring your family closer together. Best wishes.

• Andrew Plambeck September 14, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Like Jeff (#2), I think about him each time I ride through Ladd's. So glad to hear he's improving, and I'll continue to keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.