Thousands take part in Portland's Naked Bike Ride

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on June 20th, 2010 at 6:38 am

Naked Riders on West Burnside. - Photo by Jared Souney/JaredSouney.com.

Lead photo by Jared Souney.

Congratulations Portland! Your penchant for pedaling pantless has set records once again. Estimates from last night's World Naked Bike Ride put the number of riders at 11,000-13,000 people*. Wow. I think that would be the largest ride of its kind the world has ever seen. (*Note: The initial estimate of 13,000 has been disputed by event organizers.)

People who watched say it took about 30-40 minutes for all the riders to pass by. All reports from the field so far say the event itself was a big success. A large (and coordinated) police presence helped the ride stay together by corking most intersections.

The route also "worked beautifully" according to one of the volunteers. Organizers wanted to avoid the bottlenecks (which can lead to excessive groping from bystanders) that had occurred downtown in previous years so they spent more time on the east side. The ride went through downtown via W. Burnside and went up Hawthorne Boulevard, passing by the Bagdad and Laurelhurst Theaters in Southeast.

Here's another photo from local photographer Jared Souney:

(Photo © Jared Souney)

By all accounts, it was another amazing Naked Ride and a magical night to be on a bike in Portland.

The crew of volunteers and organizers from Shift deserve a huge thanks for making it all come together... as do the City of Portland, TriMet, the Portland Police Bureau, and all the other local agencies that allow this to take place worked together to make everything go smoothly.

Was it good for you? Chime in below to share your experience and let us know how it went.

- More photos by Jared Souney here. Also see this photoset from Jim "K'Tesh" Parsons.

[*If you're skeptical about the 13,000 rider estimate, check out this analysis by volunteer (and BikePortland contributor) Marcus Griffith.]

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • TommyPDX June 20, 2010 at 6:57 am

My second year riding and what a wonderful Portland experience! Thank you to all the volunteers and Portland Police! Have a wonderful Fathers Day!

• Tommy June 20, 2010 at 7:07 am

Yet another awesome naked ride in PDX. Pretty amazing organization and coordination, and an even more amazing crowd of participants (and *huge*; I wonder if it'll top 20K next year...). Just keeps getting better every year! And mad props to the popo for keeping those intersections clear for us!

• Marcus Griffith June 20, 2010 at 7:16 am

I volunteered during the ride and had a few flying monkies take clicker counts at the gate and give a brief demographic survey. After getting sleep (I just got home), I can crunch the numbers.

Overall the ride went very well. Many of the problems that arose last year were avoided. The crowd was pretty fun loving and mellow.

• teresa mcgrath and nat kim June 20, 2010 at 8:11 am

totally amazing ride, and kudos to the organizers, drummers, police corking, and spectators cheering us on, thx a lot.

• Borgbike June 20, 2010 at 8:25 am

I was surprised by the increase in spectators. Yes there were the usual giant crowds who poured out of bars as the ride went by. But it seemed like a huge number of people went out of their way to drive to the event, get out of their cars and gawk at people. This was evidenced by the huge crowds of bystanders at the beginning of the ride. Maybe there was a 6 o'clock news story on it or something? It was no biggie just maybe that these people seemed kind of pathetic.

Also, hey, turn off your car when you're waiting for the ride to go by.

My group had a blast. Huge smiles on everyone's face. There were four new WNB riders in my group. These folks were all glad to do there part toward spreading the joy of naked bike riding awesomeness.

Huge props to all the organizers and volunteers. Thanks for making the sacrifice so me and my friends could have so much fun.

• David June 20, 2010 at 8:28 am

It was my first time, and the ride was amazing! Never done anything even remotely similar before. There were a few spots that required walking for a few blocks, but with 13,000 people it's bound to happen. Overall, amazing!

Does anybody know what happened to the cyclist that got hit head-on by a car that pulled into the route on SE Hawthorne though? The woman's windshield was smashed up, but the cyclist was conscious. Is he ok?

• Kevin June 20, 2010 at 8:36 am

*Awesome* job on the organizing this year. Last time I went I felt unsafe being part of a roving mob with no real plan. This time, with a planned route and uniformed officers taking care of the automobile-control, I didn't have to worry about any of that, and could just enjoy the ride.

• Kyle June 20, 2010 at 8:39 am

I wish next year it won't be on the same weekend as gay pride. I'd go if it wasn't.

• John Lascurettes June 20, 2010 at 8:47 am

Thank you to the organizers for the route. It was perfect. I very much appreciate hitting new territory an spending so much time on the east side.

• browse June 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

Of the three years I've ridden in the WNBR in PDX, this ride was the best, by far! The route allowed for actual riding and I never felt claustrophobic from the crushing crowd. And the police corking at the intersections was excellent! My congratulations and gratitude to the ride organizers and the PPD.

• DT June 20, 2010 at 9:10 am

I stood at the corner of Burnside and Broadway, right where the ride was turning to go north onto Broadway, and I timed 22 minutes for the entire ride to go by (10:24-10:46pm), flanked by police escorts. Having ridden the last 2 years (and not being aware of the WNBR prior to that), I have to say that I like the ride much more as a participant than a spectator. I agree with the ogling vibe and saw many men around me with cameras and one with a video camera. I only saw one person acting like a d*ck (no pun intended), who was trying to retaliate against people who buzzed him for being too far out into the road as he attempted to grope people - he kept trying to kick people's back tires as they went by. Fortunately he walked off with his friends after a few attempts (As a chick, I was hoping not to get into an altercation with a drunk guy, but I was getting ready to if he continued because it made me so angry.).

Overall, there were nothing but smiles from the participants, and I hope everyone had a blast. We had family visiting this weekend, so we chose to be spectators instead, but we'll be back out there next year! Maybe this will get bigger than the Bridge Pedal!!!

• Kara June 20, 2010 at 9:22 am

I didn't participate for the first time in a very long time. Instead I was busy trying to raise money for charity. I had put it on this specific Saturday to avoid the WNBR, but things conspired against us. Ended up with almost no people coming and many of them couldn't get there because Weidler was blocked off by cops for the WNBR. My friend, who helped put on the event, got messages from folks that they couldn't get to the event. It was really, really frustrating honestly.

• VelvetAckbar June 20, 2010 at 9:44 am

People: my ass was slapped twice. I think next time I ride, I am going to stop, snag a bunch of photos and post them on CL and Youtube, or at least threaten to. Terribly rude.

More than once, idiots in cars told the companions I were riding with that they "weren't showing their tits" -- they weren't. One was wearing a BP protest shirt and the other was wearing a fur-suit. Apparently people don't understand the nature of the protest.

The lookie lous on the outside I understand, but can we restrict the drinking lookie lous inside the gates? They were taking up a fair amount of space just to watch naked people. i love the "your bike is your ticket" idea. It was just difficult to get to the bathroom.

Lastly: Some moron photog was taking picture of a bikini clad gal standing on cars over on Stark, listening to the car roof POP! This caused neighbors to come out of their homes to protect their cars.

The route: FUN! I missed going on NW 23rd, but it was an awesome route. nice to spread the love into SE!

Afterparties: Cartopia is where we headed and it was AWESOME fun! so many people, so many naked folks!

Thank you very very very much to the organizers and to the Portland Police for corking for us.

• Alex June 20, 2010 at 9:46 am

It was a great ride, my first. It was refreshing to see so many people out riding and working so well with the police and each other. Sadly coming down Hawthorn a car pulled out into the ride and hit a rider. I don't know how they are but an ambulance was called and the cars windshield was smashed.

• TTom June 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

I initially came down to just check it out as I had only learned of the event earlier in the day. Thousands - I couldn't believe it. Next thing I know I was dropping my clothes and mounting my bike for the ride of my life. That's something to say now age 53 and having held six world speed records in cycling.

This was a joy; I was laughing, invigorated, ALIVE! The spontaneous singing of our national anthem at the start was so perfect... Land of the FREE and home of the BRAVE."

PDX Police did a great job and service, very professional. Caring riders took assisted with falls our flats. Most crowds were great with the occasional camera pervs one might expect, but small in percentage. I expect some drivers caught off guard with real needs to get somewhere I expect were frustrated. Most spectators seemed to be having as much fun as the riders.

At any age this event can help you find your youth and freedom with a great bunch of people. THANK YOU to the organizers and to Portland - I love this town!

• Marcus Griffith June 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

Here is the numbers and reasoning that support the 13,000 estimate:

Despite the use of click-counters and attempts to reduce error, the estimate is far from robust. But, I think its accurate enough for planning purposes. I look forward to getting a formal and official world record count in place someday. I am pretty sure Portland is heads and shoulders above any other city.

PS: To the cute girl on the bike (the nude one with body paint), you were really cute and I would have gladly joined you and your friends, but I was working the gate during the ride. Sorry.

• peejay June 20, 2010 at 10:20 am

Cool ride. I loved the more relaxed feel of it. I did miss the lack of an official after-party, because too many people dissipated toward the end too quickly. Although, our mystery ride at midnight was awesome fun. It was great to be a volunteer and also to provide music to my surrounding riders, but I'm gonna have to rebuild the sound system next year to have more LOUD in it.

• H K June 20, 2010 at 10:36 am

AWESOME RIDE! Even the late afternoon rain couldn't keep us away! There were a lot of fully dressed non-cycling bystanders in the gated area. Not sure what they were doing.

• Sam June 20, 2010 at 10:52 am

Terrific overall and simply an amazing event.
    The Portland Police corking was better this year, often stopping traffic a block or half block short of the intersection. This extra buffer was innovative and did well for the ride.
    I'm glad we rode the east side. Hawthorne was enthusiastic.
    If the route included a large park in which we could circle for five minutes, it would help keep the "train" compact.
    Thank you participants, organizers, and Portland Police! Portland forever.

• Sam June 20, 2010 at 10:56 am

Here is the route - 7 1/2 miles - as I remember it:

• CJD June 20, 2010 at 11:00 am

Awesome night! It was my second ride, and this one was for sure way more relaxed and fun than last year, this time bringing along two WNBR virgins. Coolest parts:
    -The back of the group singing a very patriotic Star Spangled Banner before we began
    - The little girl on the tag-along with no pants on
    - The woman with the broken arm being towed in a trailer
    - Awesome police corking for us
    - Lots of glow sticks and friendliness from everyone.

Keep it up Portland!

• CJD June 20, 2010 at 11:02 am

I also wanted to say that I hope the people on Hawthorne who went down and needed ambulances (I saw 2-3)are OK. It was great to see so many people immediately stop to help. Glad we have bike riding EMTs and nurses out there!

• Tony Columbo June 20, 2010 at 11:11 am

Thankyou for the slide show documenting the lack of safety exhibited by the riders. Few helmets and even fewer running lights but the drinking of beer while riding was the highlight.

• David June 20, 2010 at 11:32 am

re: TTom (#15)

Your post perfectly captured the spirit of the event! Pretty awesome. I've saved this post for inspiration. Thank you!

• K'Tesh June 20, 2010 at 11:51 am

Had a lot of fun! A lot more than the last two rides I participated in. 13,000 WOW!!! It actually felt a lot smaller, perhaps because there was so little time spent walking (compared to last year). There were so many cheering people out there! I'm afraid to find out how many pictures exist of my "BP SUCKS" belly message.

I did witness a few crashes (where the people just bounced back up unhurt)(one at the streetcar tracks), and passed by one crash that had an ambulance dispatched. Hope the fellow rider's OK.

I can't wait for my next WNBR! I just hope there's less of me to display ;)

• Pete June 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

Sam #20: Neat site; here's my recollection:
    I know we went out to 39th; I'm not quite positive about the last few blocks.

Re: #23: Please don't feed the trolls

• jacob June 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

Take off your pants & jacket .

• Donovan June 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I missed out on this last year or it would have been my second one. All I can say is that this was utter joy. I smiled ( as did everyone) and I couldn't help but think that I wish every day was like today. This was the most awesome thing I've ever done and would recommend this to anyone. Put it on your bucket list, then after you've done that, you'll keep wanting to return.

• John Lascurettes June 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Sam,
    You forgot Belmont and 39th (Caesar Chavez). Here's my recollection: http://tinyurl.com/29gqw7o (9mi).

Tony Columbo,
    Take a chill pill. And don't lump me in with your judgmentally sweeping statement.

• SamH June 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm

@Sam

that route is almost correct. we actually turned on belmont at 28th and went down to 39th cesar chavez turned right down to hawthorne then turned on hawthorne all the way down. So just a little more added on.

Nothing else like it. It was all simply amazing.

• Erin June 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Sam- your route doesn't include going up Stark to 30 something and then Belmont to 39th...

• dutch June 20, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Thanks to all the volunteers, and everyone else who came out and made the ride a smashing success!!

Props goes out to the zoobomb for teaching us how to do it better, as well as such a large number of the volunteers being zoobombers.

remember, this is the kind of event that only works because people step up to make it happen. Next year, the same group probably won't do it, which means its up to people like you to DO IT BETTER!

• BicycleDave June 20, 2010 at 12:40 pm

It was the smoothest flowing, but chilliest WNBR out of 4 for me. Thanks to everyone involved!

• Hart June 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm

VOTE FOR BUSH!!!

• K'Tesh June 20, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Here's the link to my GPS report of the route:

It has about 9 miles of the ride, and a little extra from the pre/post wandering.

• mya June 20, 2010 at 1:32 pm

This was my first bike ride and i didn't do it naked. But i had so much fun. The roads were blocked off for us. There was a LOT of people. we of course started the ride with the national anthem. Unfortunately there was an accident on the way when a BMW (go figure) tried to push its way through. I hope everyone got out ok. It was painful to see some bike riders fall. Overall it was great.

• Albert June 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I got a flat at 20th and Hawthorne and saw the wreck where the driver turned East onto Hawthorne and smashed into several cyclists. One was hurt and down but still conscious and another put the front wheel back on his bike and continued the ride. The driver of the car stated that she had no prior knowledge of an event going on and assumed the East-bound side of the Hawthorne was open to cars.

A few minutes before the accident a car on the opposite side of Hawthorne was revving its engine trying to get across the bike mass to also go East on Hawthorne, but gave up after being yelled at by several cyclists. Maybe next year someone can think of a way to handle these side streets that are too small for the police to staff.

• Soren June 20, 2010 at 1:38 pm

13,000?! It seemed smaller to me this year as well. Perhaps I was much further off the front than I thought. There were not more than a thousand or so people at the finish. Cold temps and no central after party responsible for riders quickly leaving the scene. That and seeing so many crashes were the only downers for me. I counted at least three crashes that resulted in emergency responses.
    The demon unicycle never went down however. That guy was amazing.

I loved the naked dude running in flip flops. He did most, maybe all of the route.

I think there were more people sans all clothes this year than in the past. It was a very naked ride. Yippee! One bystander entered the middle of the road somewhere near Belmont, pulled is pants down, and high-fived the bikers. A naked gal riding next to me said that was too gratuitous for her. Funny.

Generally we were a great throng of high spirited, friendly, naked bikers. The east side crowds were more tame than the club hoppers down town, which is a good thing. I recall more west side observers stripping naked last year in support though.

Thanks police and volunteers. I hope I can do it again next year.

• jo June 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm

this was my second year and i agree with everyone on the new route. it was organized sooo much better than the last ride i went on. i cant believe 11-13,000 people showed up this year!! over all tho, the energy from both the riders and the crowd was amazing. i cant wait until next year!

less gas, more ass!!!!

• dsaxena June 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Next year...take over the I-5 bridge? :)

• trail user June 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Some men were showing their anus to motorists at intersections by lifting their legs. I hoped they wiped.

The red devil on a unicycle's twig and berries were pointing right at you at eye level. He could have poked an eye out.

At the very front of the pack towards the end of the ride, a motorcycle cop accelerated hard on the sidewalk and caught air jumping the curb back on the street to redirect bicyclists. It was simply awesome.

• West Cougar June 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Hmm, the BridgePedal is 15-20,000? I'm not sure this ride felt like it was within a percentage of that. It was generally denser than BridgePedal, but just a fraction of the length.

I don't have enough experience with sizing large crowds to call the number wrong, but based on my experience with BridgePedal, I am a little skeptical.

• Marcus Griffith June 20, 2010 at 3:07 pm

West Couger: Your skepticism is well placed. The estimate is far from robust. But its the best 'guess' that I could make with the raw numbers I was provided by the designated counters (those that volunteered to be counters, thank you again).

The HD video along the route would have been amazing in getting an accurate and reliable count. Also, with video counts, one can go back and re-count from the film later. Not something that can be done with manual click-counters.

One of the reasons I posted the method that produced the estimate was to facilitate feedback. There is always room for improvement and I am sure my approach was far from perfect.

Maybe next year, a better system can be put into place or even an official count can be made. But sometimes, you just have to work with imperfect numbers.

As for the return trip, at least a few thousand made it back. I went horse last night trying to keep the main road and intersection clear.

Regardless of how many or how few actually turned out, the even was a huge success.

• Ed June 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I wanna live in Portland! Show me the way to go home!!

• kernel June 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Nice to hear all the good reports.

The day ride went 20 naked miles with over 50 riders; all afternoon! NE, N, NW, SW, SE, NE.
    We had 80+ the week before on sunnyday part one.
    And no cartoppers.

pt 3, post-mcbf?

• Red Five June 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm

men showing anus in PDX? I'm shocked.

• elena June 20, 2010 at 3:40 pm

This was my first year and it was amazing!

I agree about the blatant spectators inside the fenced lot at the beginning..I know a statement can't be a statement without an audience, but I think a bit more could be done to control the creep factor. I think the "bike is your ticket" concept, at least at the beginning, is a fantastic idea.

Thank you, Portland, for reaffirming every single day why I love living here!

• Ian June 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I take issue with some of your wording-- that "they allow this to take place." Fuck what they allow. We can thank them for helping, but people would have done it even if the police condemned it.

• West Cougar June 20, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Marcus. I wasn't trying to call you out. I agree you did the best you could with the resources you had. I just thought of offering a different perspective as a "reality check".

Actually I thought wow, what if this does double in size again next year, hey, that's bigger than BridgePedal! Then I thought, wait a minute, this didn't seem within striking distance of BridgePedal. As much as I think it would be AWESOME to have the WNBR be bigger than BridgePedal, BridgePedal is an enormous ride.

• Briana June 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Ive always heard about this event, more so online and last night I got to experience it first hand!!!
    I was at the right place at the right time, and caught it off guard!!! Ive never seen so many naked people in my life!
    Will def check it out next year, perhaps ride sometime!!

• Tim June 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Dutch and his crew were freaking awesome! Thank you to all the volunteers and ride organizers for putting on another awesome ride.

The ride is too big to count by hand these days. Any chance of getting aerial photographs?

• Adam June 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm

My thoughts -

Awesome, awesome ride! My third now. I convinced two friends (both totally new to cycling this year) to do it along with me, and after much nervousness and talk of bailing, they did the whole ride, and had a BLAST!!!

Thankyou to PPB for corking - they were very friendly, efficient, and professional.

Suggestions for next year -

1) The bottleneck at the Broadway Bridge was a bit of a pain, although nothing major in the grand scheme of things...

2) Ride leaders - ride a bit SLOWER!! The ride got pretty strung out at certain parts. I find it's much more fun to ride in a more compact group of cyclists, than a super-strung out group. It doesn't feel so much like a parade when you are trying frantically hard to pedal to keep up with all the fast people in front of you.

3) I agree with another poster - have a "circling" point halfway along. Perhaps Coe Circle at 39th & Glisan. Something that enables some more folks to catch up before taking off for the second half.

4) Bring back the in-house venue afterparty!!!!!!!! The three afterparties we hit downtown were really lame. (Sorry to be a party pooper. But that was the general consensus...)

Other than that, FANTASTIC!!!!!

• Mike June 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Glad to hear the event went so well! I've been up visiting friends in Seattle and participated in the Fremont Solstice naked bicycle ride up there. All my Seattle friends were bragging about the hundreds of people that showed up. I had trouble convincing them that Portland's naked bicycle ride attracts thousands of people. Now I've got the stats to back it up! Thanks Marcus!

• Char June 20, 2010 at 6:47 pm

My third WNBR in the Rose City and I must say it was best so far. The East Side is much better to ride on. The Police effort was KEY! I'm sure they were wanting to ride too! Kudos go out to the event organizers because the whole experience seemed flawless. From great fellow riders to cheering crowds on the streets. Seemed like I saw more smiles this year, naked or not.
    Can you even begin to imagine 20 thousand riders next year? We can do it!!!

• Marcus Griffith June 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm

West Cougar: I took your statement as meaningful and welcome dialog regarding the head count for the naked bike ride. I don't feel "called out" by it--I requested feed back so that the process can be improved.

By all means, no one is claiming that estimate is very accurate. But, the level of inaccuracy is hard to nail down (did anyone else do a actual count for comparison?). The trick is to find a way to overcome the snags in this year's count so that next year's count can be official. Again, the link in the article goes to the long version of how the estimated was determined.

As several others have pointed out, counting the masses during the naked bike ride is a slippery business.

Anyways, I had a lot fun volunteering from 8:00pm to 2:30am with the ride, but it made for an exhausting night. I give extra kudos to all my fellow Vanfunkians that made the trip.

• MIndful Cyclist June 20, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I considered doing this the past three years, but ended up finding an excuse not to at the last minute. This year, I decided to finally do it despite finding no friends that wanted to tag along. All I can say is: WOW!! I have lived in Portland almost six years now and I cannot remember a time I have had more fun. If I were to pack up and move away this week, last night would be the time that would stick with me the longest.

But, I don't plan on that and will plan on doing this ride next year!

• Practical Man June 20, 2010 at 8:13 pm

The article in the Saturday Oregonian about the ride probably increased the numbers a lot.

• Ed June 20, 2010 at 8:17 pm

It was awesome!!!! I would do it again. But I think I'm gonna show up late and lag in the back. I saw two crashes and that was scary. Some cyclists were drinking and biking recklessly. I did not want to fall off my bike naked. Scary.

• Watcher June 20, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I was an observer. We counted an average of 100 bicyclists passing by us every 30 seconds: 200 per minute. The ride seemed to last about 30 minutes, so that would make roughly 6,000 riders by our count. Dunno if this helps.

One thought. I was one of those "gawkers" on the outside of the fence; occasionally someone on the inside would come up to us and "shame" us by saying we should feel bad for looking. They especially condemned those who took pictures. I, for one, asked a participant (the "fat belly" guy who commented earlier) if I could take his pic, and he said "sure."

My thoughts about the "gawkers" is this: If you're going to put on an event like this, why wouldn't you expect (even WANT) "exposure" like this? I mean, if you don't want us to look at you (and take pix-- I mean this IS the 21st century, where everyone has a cell phone camera!) then why are you parading around naked?

I'm just sayin'...

• Watcher June 20, 2010 at 8:22 pm

PS: It was the most fun I've had in one evening in YEARS! You all rock!

• Erin June 20, 2010 at 8:25 pm

That was the most fun I have EVER had in my life! Talk about community building at its best. I think more promo (signs?) on the POINT of the ride would be good for next year. Thumbs up to the Portland police foe being so very, very awesome and to the friendly nice bystanders w/positive energy; thumbs down on the creepers inside the start date just staring and taking pictures. Thx everybody! see y'all next year!

• Karl June 20, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I am glad to see the prediction for thousands of participants proved correct even though I'm not local enough to have made it yet.

I have scanned the comments and appreciate the only one I saw about some not knowing this was a protest, and about speech, and I've not yet checked cnn.com but assume it still has nothing.

A hard reality- that those who suffered most to so speak spoke loudest. It's true I'm sure that many chose to ride thinking it would be a nightmare to be naked, humiliating, and did not find that to be the case- but the more people who so ride whether they pay a high price or not, who do so in spite of that awareness, the more we stand to be heard.

I've not yet watched teh full documentaries from prior years in terms of all that was said. THe sierra club guy has spoken briefly about what oil is in terms of lobbying etc.

There are books. I've not yet learned much and I'm puzzled by that.

Most protests have more speakers- would welcome people elbowing for a good spot to see and be forced, those without earbuds cranked up that is, if any, to hear the facts.

YEt no report of any speech- and I understand some of the problems about organising to such an extent, in terms of insurance, etc. I'm not sure that explains it however.

Some might possibly recognise my writing now from years ago when months, dozens and dozens, probably hundreds of hours, of work was suddenly deleted by a blog host who had tolerated my comments for far too long to then respond to pressure and remove everyone.

Yes "move to bikes"- fight to do that- and I mean be ambitious. Fight Toshiba not packaging the possibly latest greatest batteries for individuals to buy. Fight all the propiganda coming out in support of fuel switch somehow making 'car's less evil when in fact the supplimenting of organic muscle, reasonably, with electmagnetism renders them obsolete and even more obviously unfit for almost every task they currently perform.

I say with a near year it's time to recruit those who are willing to forever be cast as a sex offender in order to spread the word about oil- that speaks loudly.

Bitching about having to register or ridign where that's not a possibility as last night speaks, but not with the power of criminal -free of charge- power to summon evidence and people to explain.

It's not just about fun even though I accept that is necessary for most, in too many opinions at least, to get such numbers.

My local ride had organisers poo pooing pre publicity. The point is to get attention I say and now the last two years nothing was announced if it even occured.

SO to answer what teh spectators might be doing- I say, they might be thinking. Why? Why so many normal people doing this? And each who finds out why, who finds out that oil isn't used because it is so "compact" and otherwise wonderful, nope, that's a great lie, is priceless, worth not being able to continue teaching, worth losing ones home for having to lose whatever living wage career.

After all in teh service of oil people proudly enlist- do you know it's a felony to not register for the draft even if you are undocumented? It's not an accident so many have died bringing us oil despite not being citizens.

Recruiting for peace and rationality againt OIL is to ask people who don't want to ride to do so. To be able to argue that not doing so is being part of the problem. It seems a new ride is necessary perhaps, one where everyone dons a more appropriate affect.

This isn't 2005, or 6, and 2011 need not have oil business continue essentiall as normal.

Feel sorry for a gas station owner? Guess you believe in happy hookers also- in the myth not whatever token reality of that some might differ with me, quibbling to distraction from my point, if I don't hopefully sucessfully clarify by saying so.

BP says they provide posters to owners saying they have nothing to do with BP. Not kidding. Provides the poster that argues essentially they wouldn't be providign posters and such.

I try to export some of what's occuring there to where it's most, saddly now much more, needed.

Too many have gone there from here- frome everywhere else it seems. I'm about ready to move someplace more bike friendly- maybe the final straw was a local bike highup saying "we don't have critical mass rides as we don't need to."

That was so stunning. Too many of our miles are nonutilitarian. Almost all the best bikes are in fact accessories for SUV's used almost exclusely for commuting etc.

I want to hear from those knocked down by cars- to hear them say they don't regret it. It was worth it. No less would make it even harder to sleep.

• Kansasdog June 20, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Have they announced the date of the 2011 ride yet?

• Karl June 20, 2010 at 9:14 pm

St. Luis is getting under a minute from CNN, updated today, for there ride. "hundreds" are noted.

Isn't that missleading? It's not shot by a cnn videographer but rather an affiliate local stations letters are shown.

I've not heard the audio yet.

To a national, international, audience, they cover this ride, one with hundreds of bikes.

Why it instead of yours? While I composed my still under moderation comments short ones from others appeared above with a salcious hint perhaps in them but saying what I say- yes, we might prefer no pictures for our own interest, but for protesting oil, the more pictures, the move video's, the more endorsments (currently under 100 on cnn), the longer the video is hosted by such a site, the more hearts and minds hopefully decent words spoken in that minute reach, i'm sure less articualte then what is likely canned from yours, the more we win in this noble struggle.

It is the Lithium that enables the coal to be burned that enables us to continue to move thousands of pounds every time we relocate our body mere blocks, or even less- and especially if many miles of turbulent, costly to own... oil is wasting energy. So much of it is wasted. It is waste.

Yes I hope I'm wrong- that a community was built, instead of hidden from view unintentionally. That many who met will become teams, even if of just two, so greater then if still apart. I hope but I also make these constructive suggestions. To I hope those who will only have a chance to read this if it is approved. Please approve my two comments. I am not you. Let me speak about your speach and I will respect it more as well.

• Soren June 20, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Regarding Watcher's comments, I generally agree. The same issue comes up every year. My opinion - this is 2010 in America. If we are naked in public, people will gawk.

The other things is this - 6,000 to 11,000 people on bicycles all at once, gloriously bringing motorized vehicles to a standstill, will also make people look and comment and take pictures. We did this naked! So, I guess I expect people to look and gawk. I expect to hear some really dumb comments from bystanders. What crosses the line for me is the groping. This year's route was so much better in that regard.

• West Cougar June 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Watcher, that was my thought on the best process to make a count -- take a few 30 second samples and multiply out by the duration of the ride past the sample station.

~6000 feels closer to right to me. And which, it should be said, is still a HUGE ride. Second to BridgePedal and maybe one or two other rides world-wide?

Marcus, cool. Just wanted to make sure. :-)

• BicycleDave June 20, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Watcher #59: You think you had fun this year? Next year get on a bike and ride it (as Freddie Mercury would say) and prepare to have your mind blown.

I remember the first year I did it. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week.

Marcus Griffith: I believe there easily could have been 10,000+. I was one of those that arrived at the last minute and stripped outside the fence. There were lots of people with me. A train cut us off from the first group of riders right after the start. At the end of the ride I took my time getting dressed inside the fence, slowly rode back to 12th and Hawthorne, locked up my bike and ordered a fried pie before the last of the naked riders turned right on 12th and Hawthorne was opened to cars again. I'm sure many pealed off before the very end of the ride.

I think you're right about video being the only way to get a true count. A bridge would probably be a good spot for it since it would be very difficult for a rider to take an alternate route and avoid the count.

• Kirkmeister June 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm

A well deserved thanks to the organizers of this years ride. The route was well planned. I liked the eastside route. Great riders, great crowd....I'll say the same thing I said last year on the day after the ride..."I'm first in line next year."

• Gregy June 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I had a lovely time I went with my girl and my friend and we had a great time as well we could see that everyone around us was having the time of there lifes too. I don't know how long the ride was but it seemed like I should be riding that distance everyday. While being naked. It was great having everyone checking us out riding our bikes. The after parties looked like they were fantastic. I wish I could of gone to one of the parties. I just have to say good times were had and I wasn't alone from the cop in the street to the guy with his pants down touching himself (get a life dude). Next year is going to be even better since this year was better then last year.

• Susan (spectator) June 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm

To the lovely young woman who "shimmied" for my 15 year old son on Hawthorne by the food carts, THANKS! We'll be back next year!

• trail user June 20, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Would have been more without the threat of rain.

• Square Feet June 20, 2010 at 11:45 pm

According to Portland Maps, the WNBR kickoff site contains 54,500 square feet of space

So if the count at the gate is 12K, that's 4.5 sq feet per occupant and their bicycle at completely obscenely full capacity.

Not to mention
    - dome
    - tree
    - port-a-pissers
    - bike parking
    - joe bike's maintenance setup
    - body painting
    - random acts of rev phil/dutch/whomever

My gut is telling me 4K overall. This was a smaller ride than last year. I don't have a way of proving that, and come to think of it I guess don't know where that 5k number from last year came from.

Marcus could you let us know who your counters were? And could you let us know specifically where the mid point counters were located? There have been a few questions about counters floating around in informal conversations. No one recalls seeing anyone with a click counter in hand (either at the gates or during the ride), even though many of us were stuck right at the gates for quite some time.

Whatever, who cares really. The reality was the reality we had, and it was rad. Qualifying it with some measure for size won't diminish it's finer qualities. The experience more than stands on its own merits.

And you certainly deserve acknowledgment for what you did, and for explaining your methods. My hope is you wouldn't mind explaining them a little more.

• trail user June 21, 2010 at 12:14 am

Next year there should be counter wires and boxes laid out on the road like they use to measure car traffic. Or lasers, take your pick.

For those who were concerned about the pervy cameras at the beginning, you should have aimed your front blinkys en masse to confuse their camera flashes. Strobes would have been even better. In fact, if you don't want your picture taken during the ride, a battery powered strobe light would confuse most cameras.

Square Feet: Were you even at last year's ride? There's no way this was smaller. Besides the gated area and Water Avenue overflowing with people, several blocks were taken up by the back end of riders, almost up to MLK. Last year, we all fit on the grounds of the warehouse.

• Jason June 21, 2010 at 1:02 am

I've heard about this ride several times, and finally made it down as a spectator last night. What a great experience! I'll definitely join the ride next year.

As a fellow "Watcher" I have a couple of thoughts to add to that part of this discussion:

1. Not everyone who is just watching is being creepy. There are a lot of reasons a person might be spectating instead of joining in. Please don't judge prematurely...

2. Even if someone does come out for purely lewd reasons, there's something to be said for the sheer number of naked people. I'd think that at some point a person would think "Wow, people all have pretty much the same parts... no use getting so riled up about it." It's a lot different to see thousands of people naked than to see just one or two.

Great job everyone, I'm looking forward to joining you next year...

• matt picio June 21, 2010 at 8:32 am

Sam (#20) - You're close. The route was 9.1 miles and followed this path: http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=128239

Tony (#23) - There were 13,000 people, some are going to break the law, many will choose not to wear helmets. This was a sporting event sized event - find me a tailgate party at a college football game that doesn't exhibit the same behavior (and they all drive cars - should we generalize about motorists based on tailgate parties?)

Albert (#37) - Unfortunately there's no practical way to keep a car from driving through a group of people. If it were a train, they'd sit and wait, but a 30-minute parade of naked people seems to engender riskier behavior from some motorists than a train would.

Soren (#38) - News media says 8,000. Marcus Griffith's counts give a low estimate of about 9,000-10,000 but strongly support the 12,000-13,000 figure. Thanks, Marcus for making the count!

The ride seems smaller in part because not all 13,000 were within the starting location - a lot of folks joined en route.

I also saw 2 major crashes, and several minor ones. That's on par for other 10,000+ person events like Bridge Pedal and Seattle to Portland.

elena (#47) - The problem the organizers have had in the past with "your bike is your ticket" is that each year for the last 3 years, the ride has been larger than anyplace that can contain it.

Watcher (#59) - it's expected during the ride, it's not welcome at the start / finish. As far as etiquette goes, snapping a couple pics and leaving is fine, hanging around for 30 minutes and taking lots of pictures, or using a 200mm zoom lens or a panoramic camera is viewed as creepy. Also, people are easier about photos being taken when the person behind the camera is also naked.

Kansasdog (#63) - WNBR in Portland is traditionally the 2nd Saturday of the month. This year it was a week later in order to facilitate things for the police (the previous weekend was the Rose Festival Parade). 2011 will be on one of those 2 Saturdays.

Square Feet (#72) - The lot only encompasses 1/4 to 1/3 of the ride participants. The 5,000 person number from last year comes from the Fire Marshall and the Portland Police Bureau. Marcus' count methodology is here: http://www.vanvoice.com/blogentry/21105-dare+bare+estimate+2010+portland+naked+bike+ride

• VelvetAckbar June 21, 2010 at 9:44 am

will the fire marshall and/or PPB issue a formal estimate? Did I miss it?

• Petra June 21, 2010 at 10:13 am

First Naked Bike Ride and some of the most fun I've ever had in my life!

I started out a bit more conservatively attired but lost everything along the way, except the massive grin on my face.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Tony Columbo June 21, 2010 at 10:34 am

Offical estimates coming from the media is 5,000 riders.

Some folks just like to tell tale tales.

• VelvetAckbar June 21, 2010 at 10:36 am

#77: was that your bra that I ran over at about Broadway and 12th?

The number of clothing items along the route made me laugh. It was as though people disrobed ON the bike, at speed. If so, hats off to ya!

More likely the bra, pants or undies just bounced out of a basket along the way.

• Pdxmike June 21, 2010 at 10:39 am

For my money Square Feet's calculation sounds pretty reasonable, given the size of the lot, the non-dense use areas of the lot, and a plausible estimate of the space that a bike and rider take up along with a reasonable estimate of the number of cyclists staged in the streets.

In Marcus's blog post, he starts from sets of clicker counts for each gate at two different times, arriving at an "average" of 11,500 folks in the lot. He then offers an estimate of 13,00 total riders, presumably taking into account the riders staged on Water and Salmon.

Matt suggests that the crowd from the lot represented just 1/3 to 1/4 of the ride.

I'm not sure if that means he accepts marcus' counts and think that there was 34,500-46,000 (11,500 x3 or x4) riders, or if that means he thinks instead there was 4,333-3250 (13,000/3 or /4) riders in the lot?

I also wonder how Matt means that the lot represents 1/3 or 1/4 of the ride totals.

Let's say we count streets full of bikes for folks cued up on Water, Salmon and Taylor, then that's (200 ft blocks x 40 ft lane widths) only 24,00 sq ft And aside from Salmon, none of that ride crowd was particularly dense other at a bubble around the gates.

I wanted to believe that we had 13,000 folks there. I even Facebooked it. Which makes it practically fact. ;)

But no, Square Feet's got it right. And their post was right on the money, in terms of math and in terms of sentiment.

After all, it's not the size of the ride that makes it fun, it's how you do it.

• Sandra June 21, 2010 at 10:41 am

This was also my first ride, and like Petra I started out cautious and a little nervous but in the end I was riding free. With a huge smile and feeling like I live in the best city ever.

My favorite part was seeing all the folks on the sidelines peeling off their clothes and joining in the ride. It was happening throughout. Awesome!

• Square Feet June 21, 2010 at 10:44 am

trail user: I was at last year's event. Perhaps this year's participation was larger. I don't know.

Matt Picio: I did read the report which is why I am asking for clarification in order to justify the 12K gate figure and the count overall

• peejay June 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

I did see many people strip and join mid-ride. I love the idea that they just decided on the spot to stop spectating and start participating! No planning required.

• Pdxmike June 21, 2010 at 10:54 am

Hat-Tippin!

One thing that's indisputable is that all of us who enjoyed the ride benefited immensely from all the rad folks who did a ton of work behind the scenes for weeks to secure the site, coordinate the route, pick up the trash, fix the flat tires along the way and tons of other amazing acts of kindness, generosity and brilliance.

Here's to all the folks who organized and supported the ride!

• Body Paint Genius June 21, 2010 at 11:29 am

The debate about how many showed up will continue for years. Even Marcus points out in his written estimate:

"The dynamics of the event, human error, and equipment limitations likely contributed to erroneously high counts"

If I had to guess, I say there was 10,000 plus at the starting area, including a few thousand gawkers that made it into the gated area. I tried to do my own personal estimate but gave up because it was too hard. I kept getting distracted by hilarious body paint slogans (BP SUCKS with an arrow to the groin was the best use of a keg sized belly I have ever seen).

The seven volunteers that did the counting could have over clicked for any number of reasons or the tally-counters machines could have been in error. I used a set of hand held counters for a tree count once and found the machines were very unreliable (I guess thats way professional surveys don't use eight dollar counters from Office Depot).

Marcus has been very cool and receptive to criticism about his estimate. I think he is right that the 13K number is good for planning purposes, but I too want a more dependable number before claiming a world title.

• PocketOne June 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm

#79- One of my riding partners disrobed en route, going from fully clothed to nude while riding! He handed off items one by one to other riders as we went up MLK.

• Still tired from the ride June 21, 2010 at 1:03 pm

This year's ride was bigger than last year's. I liked the changes too. There were just too many problems with the in-house party last year and starting at midnight made for a long night for those that had to bike ten miles home.

• David June 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm

The ride was great. I am sure that I will ride again next year if I am in Portland.

It was different to be 'clothed' in the nakedness of everyone around me.

I felt that the moment I arrived, stripped down, and got on my bike.

This was a very wholistic, cold, fun experience.

I could see (given the right semantic spin) church groups feeling comfortable coming to ride naked as the garden of eden in reformation art.

The event was hot. But that wasn't the main point.

I lost my friends early on, and ran into few people I personally knew.

For me the ride was a solitary experience, that was personally affirming, and great for my own self image.

For that reason, as well as the diversely profound ones: I hope to see greater numbers out in the years to come from every racial (self defined) demographic.

That was just a lot of good fun.

• NoPo Slow Po June 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I watched the ride from a roof top party. We ~guesestimated~ 15 to 20 thousand. That included many of the bystanders. We did that by guessing crowd density and number of blocks. It was hard (no pun intended) to tell bystander from participants from the roof. Good luck with getting a decent count. Since the ride is at night, I'm not sure even aerial or helicopter photography would work.

• matthew vilhauer June 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm

many, many thanks to dutch, matt p, halley and all the other's that helped co-ordinate the volunteers and make this happen.

your bike (or nakedness) as a ticket would be great for the starting place. the huge lines at the porta potties after the crowds came in was crazy, glad i used them early (and clean).

i waffle back and forth about the looky loo's.... felt the objectifying and oggling was shameful. it's just naked people, guys. at times i think, take a good look... we were all born this way! will we ever get to the point (like most of europe) that nudity is just blase'? hope so...

• hxc June 21, 2010 at 3:02 pm

matt V: didn't you get upset when people talked about YOU getting naked last year? Why the sudden change?

if there is a count next year, they should review this year's attempt. It wasn't an epic fail, but not a natural 20 either xD

• rev June 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm

i counted to 1500 before being shooed off the bridge. it was for the best, i enjoyed riding more than counting.

i was also counting objects, rather than trying to discern how many people might be in the hamsterball, tandems,trailers and come-alongs just counted as one.

Very naked ride. Well organized. Thanks to the bikers and cops who decided to work together, it worked great! Steph, Hally, Carl, Pico, Dutch, Meghan, Stephen... dozens more of brilliant people who gave their time.

The streets are for the people and the people can wear all the clothes they want!

• Sander June 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm

When we sang the Star Spangled Banner before riding out, I've never before felt so inspired and connected to the words "land of the free and home of the brave." Holy shit, that's us, now, doing it, being it, free and brave, riding out on a chilly night in our vulnerability suits (naked), all 13,000 together, sharing drinks and elation. I don't know if I'll ever enjoy singing that song so much again! Thank you Portland!

• Sander June 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I also want to thank the ambulance for showing up within 7 minutes after we called 9-1-1 for a woman who'd fallen off her bike and seemed in bad shape. The response time and professionalism with which the situation was handled made a very positive impression on me. Thank you!

• Aghast! June 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm

AWESOME TURNOUT! Who cares if the accountants can't figure exactly how many people showed up, got naked or did the flamingo dance? Its the most fun anyone can have protesting global oil addiction. Shame on those that drove a SUV to the ride, less shame if you joined and the fun, more if you just took pictures.

I owe Dutch and all the guys who bared it all. Thanks for giving us ladies some eye-candy too. Don't worry we know it was cold last night, we won't hold it against you :p

I wish Marcus and his crew the best of luck next year in getting an estimate they call "accurate". It would be cool to earn the world title, but maybe the pride in getting global recognition would corrupt the deeper message of the ride?

• mu June 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm

i finally made it to my first WNBR and it was the most fun i have had in a long time! totally hilarious and energizing cruising naked with thousands of others down some of the major streets of portland- 100% *AWESOME*!! the pre-ride star spangled banner was a moment to remember. even though i agree there were some creeps taking pics and gawking, for the most part the spectators were into it. it was like riding (naked) in the freakin' rose parade! and once we got going, i was not even self-conscious riding through the masses lining Burnside St.

many of the several accidents i saw were due to individuals that were visibly drunk. being drunk/f'd up on a crowded ride like this is completely irresponsible - please save the drinking for after the ride!

i agree that slower riding in the front would help keep the ride more compact - there were moments where it was just me and a handful of others on a whole block - not quite as fun as being in a pack! there are probably too many people to realistically circle a park for a while.

thankfully it was not raining, but imagine if it had been clear and 75 degrees - who knows how many would have ridden! maybe we can keep it growing exponential - 30,000 next year?! thanks to all the organizers for coordination and working with the police (doing the kind of work they should be doing!) to block off the route, and to the riders for coming out. it's 2 days later and i am *still* smiling thinking about the ride - see you next year!

• matthew vilhauer June 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm

hxc-hope i can clear some things up for you... and others as well.

i've never had an issue with folks talking about my case. and really about as effective as trying to stop a rising tide. doing things that would directly effect my case as it is still pending is another thing altogether.

obviously folks have a wide range of interpretations on what happened that night and how i, you or whoever feel about the current state of the matter. i would hope you have the capacity to understand that i don't want to appear as thumbing my nose at or trying to back the city in a corner with the issue. when folks talk about naked bike protests and fighting the good fight with rightous indignation i get the willies. currently i'm willing to plea to a minor infraction to facilitate an end for both the city and me. the city has offered this and i am certainly willing to see what we can work out. if you can comprehend the nuances involved i think you would agree that it gives us both a "way out".

honestly this is probably more info than i should share in a public forum but it is what i feel and is factual. i own my words every time i post. anonymous posters are free to spew vitriol (not your case hxc) or hide behind comments they would not say to a person's face. own up and state your name.

i'll leave you with my two favorite quotes.

soren kierkegaard- loosely translated it states "life is not lived in reverse".

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

peace

• Eric June 21, 2010 at 5:54 pm

'tis was a night for memories, if not the record books! Counting naked cyclist has got to be like herding cats... naked, high-energy and a bit intoxicated cats.

PS: Matthew Vilhauer, your issue is old news so I am not sure you want to dig it up again. Just to freshen your memory, you HAD A LOT to say about anyone talking about your case. Heck, you even posted a few times on this very blog about people talking about it. "but-out" was the general idea of what you had to say. Letting history be history is fine. Attempting to re-write it is not cool. I can say that to your face at the next bike me meeting if you want.

• matthew vilhauer June 21, 2010 at 6:03 pm

rev-thanks for being a solid since day one.

folks have their own perceptions on stuff egh??? making a right or wrong judgement just 'cause you may not do it isn't correct or just. it's puritanical. sadly our country was founded with just these ideals. feel persecuted? find a place where you can revel in your beliefs and persecute other's that don't follow them. have we learned nothing???

• Sander June 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm

And thank you SO MUCH to the Lions of Battucada, whose intense serious booty-shaking percussion got us started out at the beginning all feeling the same excitement and rhythm!

• Karl June 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm

"This year it was a week later in order to facilitate things for the police " I appreciate findign out teh truth because my speculation (not shared) was far from the mark apparently.

Was this a unanimous decision? I mean since I posted or at least reading since I posted I see people proud of the wrench into the working of oil.

Now it's been a long time since I've sang even near patriotic songs, but you delay the ride a week, so that it can better avoid media attention, better be "moved along" by the cops, so that you can crow about how much easier it was to avoid being groped, to avoid being a crime victim that the criminals have no chance of escaping from prosecution for, because if someone gropes you it's not legal just because you have clothes on, and there is a right to arrest them and the practical reality that you obviously have the power to not just wait to see if they leave or beat them up but rather haul them off to the pokie yourselves, that is the way it works, you detain and sign and they are prosecuted depending upon the evidence but it's starts with the complaint- not screened by a cop not wanting to hear or see recordings.

As I mentioned I barely made it to my towns near ride- its' only reported on in the media, before or after (the ride or subsequent years) If I lived a block instead of miles away I might of gone back at the time, instead I just did searching online, minutes, especially after hearing on clothed ride someone say they saw we would have one- but that person didn't know where he saw the announcement.

SOmeone seemed to invite me as I headed home on my bike on the night, but I was both too sick, and not interested in just ridign to be naked. A picture, a video, a arrest, where no one to speak of see's it that could reasonably be targeted by our agenda to so see, is not for me.

At the after party I was not the only nonnaked person by far, I was though not naked not because I didn't want to be, especially when I was shunned by a circle of women comparing there anatomy only in part because of my clothes, mainly my gender I'm sure (they just closed the circle tighter and I got the message or the one was clearly uncomfortable about me listening in at all.

I believed that everyone else both new each other and had an easieri time getting to the ride on time, so they had plenty of time to prepare for the social nudity.

I conceded that the participants in teh ride are a reasonable target audience. But one that competes both ways with other targets. To the extent that the audience ends up doign the speaking, that those who step up to teh microphone do so without the sense of responsibility, or preperation, it deserves, there is at least risk.

Nieve people say the same things. A academic study could catagories whath first time organisers/thinkers say the point of the ride is, why they are doing it, versus the historical truth of the original rides, etc.

For example idiots complain about us not taking an all or nothing approach to oil- but few note that wearing a helmet is wrong regardless of what it's made of- according to science and those informed of it.

The facts are not those of trivia- how Reagan apparently felt it was safe to deregulate bus's, to allow competition, as the addiction was terminal, that to cars. Now green publications complain about how -while parenthically essentially acknowledging that fares are halved or more- these new liners don't pay living wages to modern iron workers, don't spend more on community asphault then medical care for themselves, how unfair that is. Ignored is that a much lower retail price here does correlate to much less fuel being wasted. LESS polution, even if in some rich neighberhoods backyards in the free loading zones dared to be specified on public property in there view.

So we delight in news about iphone facilitated cab sharing. Gladdly see ourselves paying more- but cab drivers are paid largely by being tax cheats, but mainly by not doing a abetter job then a personal car. As in toothbrush, versus say delivery room. SInce your human I know you believe me that for a time mankind actually owned a car, would do av ery poor imitation of other species in carrying it around, building buildings that cost for more per car then the office for there own ass they would aspire for decades to sit briefly in- all the while while there car enjoyed many square yards, well lit, better lit, 24x7, in fact had several spaces reserved for each car, but only one bed, only one small usually cubicle. I assume taht readers in the future, or elsewhere, have access to more information then what I now right to back this up, if not I can't spend more time making it believable, it is unbelievable, It's pointless .. it requires faith that truth can be much much stragner then fiction.

Kind of like that elected governor, just a few years ago, saying that if women need help they can press against there washing machine, that's no reason to get rid of the new ban on smaller, lighter, less expensive gadgets used almost exclusively to help women be less dependent or in fact better off with the men they are in fact with or better able to finally be with.

True story to the humans, in this era, who also doubt me.

NOw many who rode have been having sex since before puberty even. Have never gone withouto for any reason, not even without group (more then solitary) gratification for even a few days. Have no idea what it feels like to be around what has been selected to get our attention best- that's how evolution works after all, those we have chosen to reproduce with looked better to us to do that with then anyone else- being here means we look like those we chose in the past. It's really not complicated to understand it' sjust hard to remember the way this works at all times and the great cotnemporary evolutionist was EXTREMELY camera shy when I saw him speak on my campus and met him.

Since then I see people, scientists in teh field etc., who forget it. There is not intent in evolution.

RIding a bike in a crowd is very cognitively burdensome- even though I would think that running in a underwear run is the same, but my fellow runners complained they couldn't follow there peers to closely adn slowed down instead of speeding up to try to slow 'down.' (at which point I couldn't here if that worked out for them)

So even if the cliche' about nudism isn't true, that few suffer from unwanted broadcasts of there interest in what they see around them, it most certainly must of been true for those rides ridden fast enough- to fast for peddlers to ogle that much.

The safety to ask in this group, to ask questions of any or all, to stop that just bring music. Carry noise on your bike, that's not community building. Silence si better then that. Conversation, with strangers, who are bluffing at least that they care about mor ethen themselves, not merely that they are able to bring a bike, after all the people who care teh most migth not be able to manage that, for reals!

Anyway. This isn't very SNS'issing. MOderated. Primitive. Are better forums out there? GOOGLE's in youtube absolutely sucked- I could not believe how bad it was. 1080p, yes, but pre 1970's as a usergroup. Terrabytes per millisecond I'm sure, but clunky beyond imagination to authors of just a few words at most (much less then my shortest of these three, much much less!!!)

So yes the smile lingers- for weeks. It needs to stay more then a year. To haunt us forever, the glimpse, the moment that can be the future, not of no underwear even, but of somethign closer to rational means to move faster and easier then our naked feet can take us.

CLoser. We can agree on that, bikes are closer, with or witout power assistance, road or mountain, uniccyle or ten cranksets, closer to rational, then almost all cars, well all cars so far or ever.

When bush's motorcade advanced the tank he rode in wasn't notable from the diffraction of the glass, but teh two exhaust pipes, both seen in teh winter air getting a workout, despite the toddlers crawl pace. That car could move a mountain, not just some rich recreational drug user too wimpy to just ahve a good time and not have to work far too much for kicks as getting elected roped him into, at least almost.

When CLinton came around all the bike racks vanished, permanently, from around the library, for some stupid excuse only coincidental in timing with that security temporary acceleration of the otherwise argued temporary removal.

See they can pay a six figure salary to man to watch every cover- but not to xray every bike. Used many times a day, unlike access to the sewer fo rother then sewage.

We see some math above about how many bodies still, can fit, in a space. Roadbuilders though know about the time dimension. About how a car, moving, can consume more and less of the world, then it's shadow suggests.

How many milliseconds apart our naked bodies are, in stopping distance, how undangerous being flung, especially naked, really is, compared to the contraptions we put them into, routinely, for no reason, none, but to the loss of so many lives, the 2 year old twins, rescued weeks before from a car, there 3 year old sibling now accused of given them access to that better oven then transporting providing mess. Dead- reported to me in print on Friday. 3 year old not talking- maybe after being denied access to his family he'll confess the article apparently contended.

You don't get to pardon me. Neither of us have there cooked flesh other then burning our nostrils, bloggers who stridently note how unfair it is to single parents on welfare to be expected to use public transit killed them. Knowingly. Greedilly. Gender warfare wise, neighberhood kids over our nations bloodstock wise. NO greater nefariousness then in even pumping your own gas, Ph'd's do it. ONce I tried to get gas in a can, for a fucking car. At the last pump with ap erson to man it. He claimed I should do it, that I'd save the penny or whatever on the quarts.

then preceded to soak himself despite iti being a container designed for that.

The pro-motorise the beach cruiser crowd actually happilly mixes oil, notes how much cheaper the gas engine is, so what if it has to be replaced every six months, if they ahd the extra hundred saved they would do something else with it then get a few hudnred percent return on the real cost of running the 50 pound vehicle! LIke buy pot by the pound, insitead of the ounce, and put themselves through college with teh saviings- but....

but it's not just about lap dancing your way to the nobel prize, to the private island, the crop of geniuses all your own children.

The oil has good uses. (other then helmets) IN fact sometimes people point out what a small fraction is used to move us around, alone. Late in life I started to see the trucks, ok I know, I'm pullin gyour leg again, lol, actually trucks delivering the fuel, that it's actually trucked into most stations! LIke in pre running fuel days! Worse then carried on peasants heads half a day. I lie so poorly. COuldn't I at least have my whoppers have a shred of truth to them? It's too hard to suspend your disbelief, your sultry martians. Bare with me please. I promise, if you just pretend it's possible, there there came a time of cars, of trucks moving there fuel from city to city, from continent, even from, no ii won't say it, it's beneath me to hint that some of it came from beneath, like it ever, what it was beneath, got carried on skulls.... when will I stop?

So then. I noticed- the protagonists notes he noticed- in disbelief of what he saw, like you don't believe it either, fuel trucks, they looked like milk trucks- shit, another miracle, a truck carrying more milk then a cow can milk, in a lifetime, in stainless steel. I know- fresh air removes the water and then it's like a feather to a nonflying all to fat english needing to be other then naturally delivered for it's appeal to it's obese owners k9.

ANyway, well they used to sell it as a byproduct of intoxicants, feed the cows the hops after making booze iwth it, seasonally, anyway it actually was profitable to build factories for milk- dry ones! Wet milk! Year round! ANd not all shitty tasting and discolored but like when we had moms....

anyway.]

These former milk trucks, instead of pipelines. See natural gas pipelines, you know sprint, that arrogant bastard ruining it for the verizons narcissist stock holders, slashing the price, they kick the methane out, put wires in, let people pant in each others ears withotu smelling the garlic, they did't want that happening to gasoline.

At least not too soon, not before they had batteries and shit thath could have us notice the vehicle weights in like a hundred times too fat, is unfit for the purpose, snaps the traffic contril wires by shimmying the sdam asphault int the inersection every time a few hundred thousand cars slam on the breaks when the light turns red so as to grind the break pads instead of build the bridges that make people get to work so fast they can share the car... anyway.

oil.

it's not valuable like fresh water- it's garbage. Wrotten plants and all that. But there was a lot of it, and it's got a long shelf life, and people schemed to create a fucking use for it, a perceived one.

And a cancer grew that might leave this galaxy. A cancer of exploitation of all, of chaos instead of peace, of madness the sort that not even the greatest literature can possibly hint at, or anyone in this universe can see, at all.

So we drop our shorts. Get our seat dirty. Smelly. Of us. Of fresher life then oil is. Knowing that if only one other bird to the one who figures out it's just thin tin foil covering that glass bottle, like now, on the yoplait, instead of the solidified, oil, yeah, that, and then, it happened, I'm not making it up, the pigeons, they all, almost ovoer night, started drinking from the bottle, the milk, and we had to haul it home ourselves again ultimately, had to drop phosphor on other peoples kids to do so, had to deny our own our own milk, had to hire sadist to push the cows across the floor to better let there blood into there babies mouths, so we could drink milk and think we do anybody any good not thinking at all. Not at all, for our clothes. Not once. Just oil on our dick, pills in our bitch, until we can plan, so our moms don't see us do better then they did, for ourselves, but so they can relives there lives though ours, despite us not living in there world, never.

• Hairy June 21, 2010 at 9:11 pm

A mile of bicyclist one lane deep is 1076 people at 39th and Hawthorne they were on average 3 deep, the moving average speed was 8 MPH from some GSP readings I have seen and you took 29 minutes to go by.

Roughly 10-12,000.

Clickers only work on video. Try using a clicker on a busy day at the Hawthorne Bridge to prove this to yourself.

On the minor intersection I just had folks cheering on from my soltice party block the road and explain to cars that it would be at least a half hour so turn around or get out and watch.

• Karl June 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Never. (it is gone (that world of love mobiles, places ot us teh cars legally when not in motion etc.), we are not really as nieve despite doing the same evil, this time knowingly)

Never will it return. Need any of us pretend to be in it- to placate them. Just not that. Just don't do that. PLease. Get your own conscience- you might find it's a good deal. Or merely necessary to even survive, not too late, maybe, maybe not.

• matthew vilhauer June 21, 2010 at 9:42 pm

eric-

yes... well said. point taken and heartfelt... not intending to re-write history (please read the transcript of the trial).

nuff said???

• Karl June 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm

as he is the only one who can readally enough for me to see be seen acknowlidging, reading with greater interest, my posts, and doesn't specify where to read the transcript, whether or not it's here, is a decent search link, to find it.

• Duncan June 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

someone lost their meds.... geeze..

• Karl June 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm

June 21st, 2010 21:32
    104

(unintentional I assure you; "ot us teh" meant "to use the" as in "that world of love mobiles, places [to use the] cars legally when not in motion etc."

• Karl June 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm

.... [since '8-line-plus' moderation is slow [or refused] I posted only the 1st 3 lines in clarification for even or especially the Duncan's out there who need help understanding what I wrote with them..]

• Karl June 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Well it takes more then half a minute or so to pull up the calendar for Vancouver as it appears theyh don't havea city court website just an email address.

I will probably move to
    from here on out in teh seense of some journalistic site. But the charged has not said too much, he's said far too little, and no he should not both use the ride as part of his defense and simulateously take any plea. He's going to be commmenting next year hey i have to skip this one as my probation not up? Instill fear that any of us might have to face such a choice? Or have the speech recognised as protected by finding a better lawyer with what time he has left before his change of plea.

He has standing to make a constitutional case- he did get morem people to ask what its' all about, that was speech, and I assume part of his intent now abandonded so people will assume he's not a sex offender instead of him havin gto explain why despite the notice received he didn't have sex with that charge he just got wrongly convicted and could of avoided the charge altogether but for his duty to challenge it.

• Rob June 25, 2010 at 3:27 am

This was my third ride, with only bike helmet, shoes and bike lights on.

This year was larger and the route was better. My GPS said 9.17 miles at an ave speed of 5.1 mph.

I also rode with a group this year unlike years prior. One of my female friends brought two other female friends with her. They say first impressions are lasting so I will probably remember meeting up with three naked bike riders for the rest of my life.

Anyway, I agree we need to thank volunteers, Portland police, and the organizers of this event. 10,000 to 13,000 people seem about right but lets make it even bigger next year.

Last but not least, how about two rides next year. One on the second Saturday of June and one in August just before the end of summer when it is hot.

Go Portland......