Need a mattress? Get it delivered by bike

Posted by on May 17th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Still from video of
Mattress Lot bike delivery.
(Photo/film by Johnathon Allen)

The Mattress Lot in Northeast Portland (24th and Sandy) is the latest company to get into the trend of mixing bikes and business.

Local freelance bike journalist and videographer Johnathon Allen recently paid them a visit and put together a short video (watch it below). He says, “Not only do they give you a discount if you come in on a bike, but they will actually deliver your mattress by bicycle.”

I love it. The inspiration spreads. Check it out:

Comments
  • AllenInk May 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Just to clarify … I misspoke in the opening voice over .. technically the deal is “free delivery (BY BIKE) for anyone who comes in on a bike … (relative to inner Portland). PS: you can park your bike inside and Michael the owner (and tandem stoker) is awesome.

• Gabriel Nagmay May 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Doh. I just bought a mattress – wish that I had known.

• Anne Hawley May 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm

This is awesome! I’m in the market for a new mattress, and this bike delivery + local manufacture = deciding factor for me.

Nice work on the video, too.

• Pete May 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Thanks for this! I’m in the market for a queen mattress and would love to buy one made in the US. At the opposite end of the green spectrum though we’ll be driving through the area in my van, coincidentally on our way to the Mt Hood Cycling Classic. I’ll stop by to pick it up to save Michael 800+ miles of stoking (and no, the van’s not my daily driver, my Cannondale is).

• John Rebus May 18, 2010 at 8:56 am

Big f’ing deal. So, guess y’all think this concept was developed in Portland, just like some seem to think bikes, coffee, beer, sandwiches, food carts and farmers’ markets were thought up here.

I’ve seen mattress deliveries by bike in Rio de Janeiro for years…but they put them in front of the bike, AND, it takes only ONE guy to make the delivery. And I’ve seen them piled 2-3 high as well.

Wow, Portland is once again showing the world new concepts (that have been in use all over the rest of the world for ages).

• AllenInk May 18, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Wow, John … I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties too.

• Spiffy May 18, 2010 at 1:49 pm

that’s awesome!

we don’t have to be the first ones to do, we just need to do it…