Memories from The Battle at Hillsboro

Posted by on November 13th, 2008 at 12:37 pm

This weekend, the Cross Crusade makes its final stop at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Hillsboro.

Last year (check out my report here), Hillsboro was the sight of an epic battle between man and mud that still brings back fond memories for me both as a racer and as a photographer.

Story continues below

The puddles were over knee-deep, the energy-draining mud was sticky and thick, and the rain continued relentlessly through the day.

But even still, the Crusaders pressed on with smiles on their faces (after their race of course).

If the weather continues with rain in the next few days, a similar battle might have to be fought. If so, it will be something special to behold, and even more special to participate in.

Check out all the details for Sunday’s event at CrossCrusade.com.

Comments
  • Adam November 13, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Oh what a day that was. Only my second ever cross race. I can’t wait for sunday!

• Danielle November 13, 2008 at 2:20 pm

I know you mention it in the article, but just in case not everyone knows.

The race this weekend, is not taking place at Hillsboro Stadium like last year. This years race is at the Washington County Fair Complex in Hillsboro.

Hope and pray for rain, mud, and an absolute slop-fest.

• Zaphod November 13, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I’m still cold from last year.

• mmann November 13, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Coldest I’ve ever been on a bike. Current weather forecast is less miserable. Looks like we may have dry skies and muddy riding – perfect.

• jeff November 13, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Looks like sunny and warm, let’s hope the fairgrounds hold water well!

• joel November 13, 2008 at 5:25 pm

sadly, i think we can toss out any hope of anything like that this year. i missed spectating at hillsboro last year, but i suspect it just would have frustrated me (having no cross bike together yet) even more than the usgp at pir did. that event made me swear to get my tail in gear and race this season, by whatever means necessary, and despite the mostly non-muddy crusade this year, ive enjoyed every minute of it.

but for truly sloppy mud, i think were going to have to pin our hopes on krugers crossing and the portland cup – the weathers just not there to make that much of a mess in hillsboro this year, and mores the pity.

• Tony P November 13, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Last year’s race brought my first dnf and a strong desire to never race again. Fortunately, that’s worn off, but I’m hopeful that I won’t have to suffer that badly again in Hillsboro this Sunday. It was miserable.

• Paolo November 13, 2008 at 10:30 pm

For sure not as wet as last year but I saw the venue today and it will be muddy, the grass is really wet and the rodeo arena looks like a swamp, there is also plenty of gravel and a bit of pavement, but the grass could be much longer and slower than last year.

• Dan Kaufman November 13, 2008 at 11:14 pm

One interesting thing is to read on the 2206 post the comments. Folks were complaining about the lack of fans. I think people are starting to get it.

Check out the video from last weeks race:

And here’s is the video from last year’s mud fest:

Here’s mud in yer eye – See you Sunday.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) November 13, 2008 at 11:25 pm

“Jonathan, I think you linked to the 2006 race 2 post. It was muddy but not epic as 2007 as the photos above attest.”

dang. you’re right Dan. thanks for catching that. I’ve fixed the link and now it points to my 2007 report.