Posted by Jonathan Maus ( Publisher/Editor ) on August 20th, 2007 at 3:36 pm
Bike Safety Club Assistant – Community Cycling Center
About the Program
Our Bike Safety Clubs are designed to offer low-income youth at eight elementary schools around the city a safe and fun place to be after school. Bike Safety Club participants earn their own bike, lock, helmet, and tools, all while learning safe riding skills, teamwork, and basic bike maintenance. At the end of the program, they will have learned how to fix a flat tire, read a bike map, negotiate intersections, and ride to and from school.
We’re seeking skilled program assistants to help teach safe bicycling and maintenance to low-income youth in schools in North and Outer Southast Portland. Through this position, you will gain experience in experiential education program facilitation, safe bicycling, bicycle mechanics, and working with diverse and low-income youth. Required Skills
* Must love working with children
* Must have own safe bike and helmet
* Respect for and commitment to diversity, teamwork, and environmental sustainability
* Must pass criminal background check Duties
* Assist Bike Safety Club instructor in mentoring and teaching 15 elementary school students in bicycle safety
* Assist during all 12 sessions of program
* Ensure safety of all participants on group bike rides
* Help kids earn their own bike, helmet, and lock!
How To Apply
Email Volunteer@CommunityCyclingCenter.org for a Volunteer Application Form. Women and people of color encouraged to apply.
Schedule: Two days per week, either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. Programs last two hours, typically starting between 2:15 and 3:15 PM. Must be able to commit to assisting during all 12 sessions. Most programs will begin the last week of September/first week of October and will end during the first or second week of November.
Volunteer and Event Coordinator
Community Cycling Center
1700 NE Alberta St, Portland OR 97211
ph: 503-546-8864 fax: 503-288-1812