Bike Oasis in on Sandy Boulevard

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on July 12th, 2007 at 5:18 pm

Just came across a photo of the Bike Oasis that has been installed on NE Sandy Boulevard.

Located near NE 43rd and Hancock.
(Photo: jjoyful1 on Flickr)

This bike parking structure is an exact copy of the one recently installed on SE Hawthorne Boulevard and it was of the NE Sandy Boulevard Resurfacing and Streetscape Project recently completed by PDOT.

Judging from all the bikes parked there, it looks like it's already a big hit.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • revphil July 12, 2007 at 6:06 pm

right near the hollywood theater, no? bike parking there is a beeych!

• jeff July 12, 2007 at 6:11 pm

...and right next to the Hollywood farmers market!

• Clark July 12, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Very good to see more bike projects outside the downtown core.

• Jeff July 12, 2007 at 10:31 pm

I had my bike (Vanilla) stolen from there a couple days ago. I didn\'t lock it, but I was only gone for like 5 minutes. Beware this bike oasis.

• encephalopath July 12, 2007 at 11:06 pm

Those are SO pretty. I may have to ride there just to see the structure.

• peejay July 13, 2007 at 5:15 am

very nice, but I\'d trade one of those for five or six of the on-street bike parking structures (like newly installed on Belmont) any day.

I\'ve said why before in other threads.

• Anonymous July 13, 2007 at 5:24 am

Haven\'t seen bikes in it myself, except during the Farmer\'s market - we can dream that the photo becomes an everyday occurance

• rooster July 13, 2007 at 8:12 am

Jeff- why on earth didn\'t you lock your Vanilla? And why are you blaming the bike oasis? I don\'t care if it\'s five minutes or five hours- you lock your damn bike up (especially a sweet ride like a vanilla).

• jay July 13, 2007 at 8:20 am

yeah, i agree. it isnt hard to lock a bike, even for short stops, especially now that we are getting these wonderful bike oasis\'s(sp?). there is no excuse for leaving your bike unlocked in a busy place like that and then being mystified when it disappears. i suppose i am a little over cautious most of the time, but seeing as i still have my bike, i guess its working.

• K July 13, 2007 at 8:21 am

Dude, he was kidding.

• Barbara July 13, 2007 at 8:25 am

It look pretty but why with all that expenss they went to with the heavy metal work isn\'t it covered to protect the bikes form the weather?

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) July 13, 2007 at 8:27 am

\"...isn’t it covered to protect the bikes form the weather?\"

Barbara, the structure will eventually have a glass covering that will extend well beyond the metal ribbing on the roof. My previous post on the Hawthorne Oasis mentioned this.

• Murray July 13, 2007 at 8:53 am

Jeff, not to beat a dead horse here, BUT YOU DIDN\'T LOCK YOUR VANILLA!?!!?! Are you crazy?

• Jessica Roberts July 13, 2007 at 9:22 am

Yeah, I seriously hope you\'re kidding, because otherwise it seems like you must have wanted to be relieved of the heavy burden of Vanilla ownership.

In other news, the oasis looks great! Maybe I\'ll actually go to Hollywood from time to time now.

• DK July 13, 2007 at 9:29 am

With the \"don\'t need to lock up for a quick stop\" attitude, Jeff, it was destined to happen sooner or later. Be thankful you can (most likely) have the claim to fame for having the first bike stolen at the Sandy Bike Oasis. Yay!!!!

• max adders July 13, 2007 at 10:45 am

I love the bike oasis! It gave me this really sweet Vanilla...

• BURR July 13, 2007 at 11:26 am

so when are these coming to SE 26th and Clinton, and SE 28th and Ankeny????

• peejay July 13, 2007 at 1:22 pm

Why is this the preferred solution to bike parking when the Mississippi/Belmont on-street parking solution is so much cheaper, and, for a whole host of reasons, better?

Hate to rain on the parade here, but we could get more for less with the other style of bike parking.

• Jessica Roberts July 13, 2007 at 1:33 pm

I like them both and think there\'s a place for both of them. It\'s not necessarily a direct tradeoff--we wouldn\'t have gotten 50 on-street bike corrals out of the Sandy Blvd. Streetscape Project if we\'d advocated against the bike oasis.

The bike oasis is attractive and a great symbol of bike-friendliness. If we had one in every major commerce hub, it would be a tremendous sign that Portland welcomes cyclists. They\'re also covered!!

On-street corrals are quick and cheap. So, we can augment the signature bike parking projects with lots and lots of on-street bike parking. Say, 15 - 20 on-street corrals for every oasis?

• Cecil July 13, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I have to admit I can\'t read the rest of the posts because I am stuck on the total insanity of not locking a Vanilla bicycle while leaving it in a busy urban area.

• peejay July 13, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Jessica:

I\'ll agree to that.

• DK July 13, 2007 at 3:25 pm

No more about the vanilla...agreed? But can you believe he actually left it unlocked. Might as well have put a free sign on the bike, and a kick me sign on his back.

• Bill Stites July 13, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Location, location, location

Purely anecdotal observation today: I was walking at about 1:30 pm -
    2 Belmont Onstreet bike parking facilities [aka \"corrals\"] = 19 of 22 racks occupied;
    2 Hawthorne bike oases = 4 of 20 racks occupied.

Of course there are many factors, but certainly LOCATION seems to be a key one.
    The great thing about the bike corrals is that they can be easily located in self-determining locations ... just look where bikes are piling up on the sidewalk.
    And being so much less expensive brings them into the realm of LOCAL business projects.
    I certainly like the oases, too - they both have their place. I agree with Jessica\'s ratio of mucho-to-1 in favor of \"OnStreet\" bike corrals.

It is beautiful to see more bike parking in a proud fashion. Kudos to PDOT, for continuing to promote cycling infrastructure; and to those who advocate for same.

• Jessica Roberts July 13, 2007 at 3:41 pm

Nice (as usual) Streetsfilms movie about a NYC project to replace car parking spots with bike racks. It\'s sort of a cross between our two versions -- it is a curb extension, on sidewalk level, but other than that it\'s just a row of racks (no cover, no high-design kiosk).

Bill, I have to say that when I saw the Hawthorne oasis the other day, the racks seemed WAY too close together as well. Maybe that\'s one part of why people aren\'t filling it.

• Paul July 13, 2007 at 3:58 pm

The Oases (plural sp?) on Hawthorne are surprisingly concealed from plain view. The one up at 48th is hidden around the corner - on street options are very visible so easier to find. I think there needs to be some unique Oasis signage to direct cyclists to parking.

• Donald July 13, 2007 at 4:08 pm

OK, this is a reference to the Hawthorne Oasis thread, but it\'s been bugging me for weeks:

I, for one, appreciate the bicycle vernacular in the architecture of these things.

Maybe it\'s not as \"pure\" as the 13th Street pattern language bus stop that used to stand on the UO campus in Eugene, but, hey, I always thought that was a pretty ugly piece anyway.

Oh, and I can\'t remember where this was brought up, but I for one love the Portland Building too and think we should be proud to have an early Michael Graves building in our community.

Whew, glad that\'s off my chest.

What were we talking about again? Stolen Vanillas?

• Will Ood July 16, 2007 at 9:07 am

What\'s that ugliness looming over those poor bikes?!?

I think it\'s a big metal frame specifically designed to serve no human purpose.

WE need more of those- and bike vernaculturalists too.

• Paul Cone July 16, 2007 at 11:18 am

The racks are smaller and closer together because they differ than the standard staple racks in that they are designed for only one bike.