Huge crowds at BikeCraft and Social

Posted by on December 8th, 2005 at 10:14 am

BikeCraft!
(photos by Dave Sharp)” />

Wow. What a night. A great turnout from bike lovers of all stripes! Thanks so much to everyone who braved the wintry chill to join us at the BikeCraft Faire and Shift Social last night. It felt amazing to have so many different parts of the cycling community come under one roof. Here is the photo gallery…and below is a rapid-fire list of thoughts and thanks.

• I talked for about 3 hours straight with nothing to drink when all of the sudden my throat broke and I was reduced to a whisper for about 10 minutes.
  • The Sprockette calendars sold briskly and they raised $400 bucks!
  • Amy and James DeRosso’s bike-inspired stoneware sold out and was one of the hottest items of the night.
  • Due to profuse talking and hand-shaking in front of my little welcome table, I didn’t really get a chance to browse all the great stuff.
  • BikeCraft! (photos by Dave Sharp)
  • At one point it was so packed you could barely move and the energy and chatter was so loud I never even heard the band.
  • Maggie (of bike sweater and bike sewing machine fame) said her face hurt from smiling so much.
  • It was cool to see friends of mine that don’t even bike have such a great time and get into the bikey spirit!
  • David “Chops” Darby performed a moving poem about bikes and cars sharing the road. I videotaped him and I hope to transpose it and share it with you here.

And now some thank yous:

• A big thanks to Brenda, owner of Urban Grind Coffee for being so laid back and generous in giving us free reign of her space.
  • Thank you to the artists (all 20 of you!). Your talent and creativity were appreciated and admired by everyone that attended.
  • Thank you to veteran crafter Carye Bye who offered her sage advice, insights and encouragement from day one.
  • Thank you to Ayleen Crotty who helped me promote this thing through her vast knowledge of flyering, emailing, and radio show DJ’ing.
  • Thank you to Dat Nguyen, coordinator of many small details that helped things run smoothly.
  • Thank you to photographer-for-hire Dave Sharp who donated his services for the night
  • And last but not least , a big thanks to everyone who showed up and supported local artists and the fantastically glorious, diverse, and beautiful Portland bike community.

OK, now go check out all the photos (most of them were taken and donated to me by photographer Dave Sharp)!

Comments
  • Austin December 8, 2005 at 10:56 am

Jonathan-

Thank you for putting on such a great event! (Not to mention running such a great site.)

• etta December 8, 2005 at 12:34 pm

What a great event! I wish I had the money and the space to buy everything I saw that I wanted. The bike sweaters were amazing.
    Last night was such a great example of what makes Portland a great place to live.
    And it was nice to meet the man behind this great site in the flesh!

• Ayleen December 8, 2005 at 12:36 pm

Thanks Jonathan, this event was awesome! The house was packed from 4pm on. It was such a great opportunity to showcase the great work of our local bikey artists. Did I spend more money than I made? Just about, but I am totally okay with that.

- Ayleen
    Team Woodlawn Productions

• Justa December 8, 2005 at 12:54 pm

I seriously did not expect to be so busy that I wouldn’t have time to check out all the other tables! I barely made time for a bathroom break, checking out chops’ stuff, and buying a pin from maggie before things started to wind down! I can’t wait til next year, this was such a good idea and execution.

• Bryan December 8, 2005 at 1:18 pm

Thanks again Jonathan – it was a great time and allowed me to meet some great people too.

• Ben December 8, 2005 at 1:27 pm

Great job organizing such a popular event!!
    I was amazed by how many people showed up. Very well done.

• Carye December 8, 2005 at 1:27 pm

What fun! Great Success. Thanks to all the shoppers and crafters. I endeded up buying one thing from every bike crafter sitting 1 to 2 tables away from me (Lovley tealight photo lantern, Bike Love Patches, Neat Textured Pottery, Sprockette calendars, and bike tees OH My!), but I was so busy all night selling postcards and tees that I never made it to the other side of the room. I still want a set of your photo postcards Jonathan. Well DONE. Must do it next year. Thanks for the green room, food, and all the hard work as well Jonathan. We so appreciate you!

Carye

• josh m December 8, 2005 at 2:19 pm

it was nice meeting you last night, Jonathan.
    The fair seemed great. I just wish i would have had more than $4!
    next time!

• Dingo December 9, 2005 at 11:48 pm

WOW Dude
    Thats the first time I ever saw four clowns in suits walking around brandishing weapons like the Taliban in a middle eastern market place looking for un-tarped woman.

• joy December 12, 2005 at 10:28 am

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work! The event was great fun; and I second all the comments about being unable to leave my table to check out all the wonderful crafters. My family made up for me; however, and all of their holiday shopping is finished.
    Thanks again, it was great.

• [...] If you weren’t around in December and you’d like to learn more about BikeCraft, check out the event page, get to know the artists and their work and read the recap from the last one. [...]