Support BikePortland

Family Biking: Madi Carlson, signing off

Posted by on November 19th, 2019 at 10:54 am

Bye!
(Photo: Rijder Carlson)

Our Family Biking column is sponsored by Clever Cycles.

➤ Read past entries here.

Farewell readers!

After 100 posts I’ve used up all my words and it’s time to pass this column onto someone else. Family Biking is such an important topic and I’ve loved being able to share this space with you for nearly two years now. I look forward to reading future posts on the topic from Jonathan and other contributors.

This is just goodbye from inside the BikePortland internet tubes — you’ll still see me biking around Portland so please ding your bell and/or wave when you see me on the street.

Thanks for reading and for all the great comments.

One last thing, even before my stint as a BikePortland columnist I spent lots of time giving advice about family biking one-on-one via email, so continue to send me your questions: madidotcom [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thank you Madi! We’ve loved sharing your life-on-a-bike each week here on the Front Page. My personal faves are when you shared 10 years of kid-carrying tips, asked readers why they don’t bike with little ones, what type of infrastructure is most important to family bikers, how you deal with “mama bear rage” on the road, and of course the fun family profiles.

If you’re bummed to see Madi go and want to keep the Family Biking column alive, please get in touch. I’m always looking for columnists for this and many other topics. — Jonathan

grrlpup November 19, 2019 at 11:25 am

Thanks so much, Madi! I don’t have kids but am a slow cyclist living in Mt. Scott / Arleta, so your route recommendations have been super helpful. 🙂

Mike Quigley November 19, 2019 at 11:52 am

I hope she wasn’t run off by her critics.

JH November 19, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Typically guest columnists at blogs are paid by the post by outside sponsors. It’s probably the case that Madi was paid for 100 posts. I doubt heavily based on her other gigs in the blogosphere that comments ran her off, we’re probably not even close to the worst she’s gotten.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 19, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Mike, Madi wasn’t run off by anything but her own decision that it was time for her to move on.

And in case it wasn’t obvious, I paid Madi for her posts thanks to the sponsorship from Clever Cycles. I split their sponsorship 50/50 between Madi and BikePortland.

Sarah Gilbert November 19, 2019 at 1:06 pm

As a very very sporadic columnist and mama biker myself, I know that it is has nothing to do with contract terms. I don’t think I’d use the term “run off,” but I do know that critics can be very personal and emotionally charged when it comes to women cyclists… and many times it is women who are the worst.

BradWagon November 21, 2019 at 9:27 am

This is stunning. “Critics”, hmm… like someone that would say, comment on three articles in a row demeaning her and her kids for all riding in a cargo bike together? That would be unfortunate. Wait a minute! That was YOU Mike. ***portion of comment deleted by moderator***

GNnorth November 19, 2019 at 12:27 pm

Nooooo! You left SBB for BP and that was a great move. Now leaving BP?Argh….Your articles on family biking have been invaluable, while there are replacements to take your spot I’m not convinced the depth and scope will be as equally good. All the best to you and thank you so much for taking the time to do the 100 posts, so worth it.

ED November 19, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Thanks for the columns and advice Madi–you helped inspire me to get on a cargo bike with my toddler, that in turn inspired me to get myself a commuter bike: let’s call it a twofer!

pdxhobbitmom November 19, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Madi, I loved your columns and will miss them! Thanks for your contribution to Bike Portland.

Kate November 19, 2019 at 1:45 pm

I’m so sad to see you go, Madi! Your columns were always the highlight of my Bikeportland.org browsing. Thank you for all of your great contributions. I especially enjoyed your recent article on the Gladys Saddle Library.

Rebecca November 19, 2019 at 2:12 pm

I’ll miss your writing, Madi! Especially for those of us without kids of our own, your column has been a window into how much thoughtfulness, consideration, cleverness, and planning goes into every ride with children. Thank you and happy trails.

Andrew Kreps November 19, 2019 at 5:20 pm
    kristin faurest November 19, 2019 at 6:28 pm

We’ll miss your wit and unfailingly cheerful and optimistic advice! Hope to see your words elsewhere.

JBone November 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm

My kid never took to family biking, so I’ve vicariously enjoyed your perspective and experience. Thanks for sharing in such an insightful and optimistic way.

Matddav November 20, 2019 at 7:05 am

I appreciate Madi and everyone who puts their Planet Killing Death Machine aside and walks or bikes everywhere they can. Madi’s posts helped break down the major barriers of information and modeling preventing folks from giving it a shot. This blog and is contributors are beacons of sanity in a world gone mad. MD

• A. J Zelada
    A. J Zelada November 20, 2019 at 9:49 am

I can’t imagine life without Madi as a pillar of BikePortland.org. Thank you for your soul and mindfulness about moving the world to embrace bicycling as a family, as a parent, & as a kid. I very much appreciate you as a great woman leading many others to be secure on the road and to be responsible for teaching courtesy, smartness and safety for bambinos. You have made a difference. Many heartfelt and policy wonk thanks. Z

Mark Wheeler November 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

Thanks Madi! I always enjoyed & learned from your writing.

Let's Active November 20, 2019 at 10:09 am

That’s a bummer, Madi. I really got a ton out of your columns. This is a big loss for BikePortland and everyday bike riding families in the region. All the best!

Greg Spencer November 21, 2019 at 8:48 am

As another biker parent, I always looked forward to Family Biking. You highlight all the fun stuff while also showing a positive way to deal with the frustrations. Terrific column!

Liz November 21, 2019 at 12:16 pm