Tour de Lab September 1st

Subscriber Post - This post was written by a subscriber.
Want to subscribe? Learn More »

Lost at SE Salmon & 23rd: consciousness

Subscriber Post by mh on January 6th, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Black ice. Did anyone see me wipe out some time before 8:00 this morning? The first thing I remember is standing on the corner talking to a concerned driver (female) and concerned cyclist (male). I have no idea how all the scattered pieces of my helmet lights got into one of my coat pockets, How my banged-up bike got on the sidewalk I don’t know, either. I thank anyone who stopped to help.

How long was I out? I was obviously talking before I was fully conscious (no jokes here, please, I know my mouth has a mind of its own). Anyone know anything? I imagine it was another of my single-vehicle crashes, but was I trying to slow down because I saw someone in or near the intersection? Was I just being civilized or law-abiding and slowing down for a stop?

The CT scan looked OK, but I’d still like to know what happened in those 15 or so minutes.

Dunno when I’m getting back on the bike.

— Read more subscriber posts here.

Please support BikePortland.

Steve B January 6, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I didn’t see you but yikes, I’m glad you’re ok!

Champs January 6, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I did not see the crash, but am witness to those feelings.

Confidence is a process. Personally, my best recovery has been when I start riding as soon as I am medically clear and able to ride again (repairs might be a delay). Avoid setbacks by starting slowly. The good sensations will return.

Hope you’re out there soon.

mh January 6, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Repairs to both body and bike, I take it. Bike looks good, except for a deep gouge on the pedal on the side that hit the ground. Body could use a Thai yoga massage – stretch out everything that was abused using someone else’s muscles. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Peejay January 6, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Wow, I must have been through there minutes before this happened! I remember seeing (and feeling) a fair amount of ice from 27th to 20th. Glad you’re OK; hope you get your pedaling legs back soon.

9watts January 8, 2016 at 10:56 am

Yikes.
    A little late to the conversation but I’m glad you’re o.k. I’ll ask my sister. She lives around the corner.

• Adam H.
    Adam H. January 9, 2016 at 12:00 am

Hope you get better soon!