Joe Bike

Portland company’s “Pot Tour” by bike includes free joint

Posted by on September 29th, 2015 at 11:46 am

pottour

Recreational marijuana will be available for retail purchase in Oregon starting this Thursday (October 1st) and Portland-based Pedal Bike Tours is looking to take advantage of the legal marijuana craze with a new weekly offering: A “Pot Tour” by bike.

Like all their tours, your price of admission ($69 in this case) includes a bike, a helmet, an expert guide and a snack. But unlike any tour they’ve done, this one comes with a “joint of local marijuana to take home.” And in case you’re wondering, they will not smoke it on the tour.

The tour’s creator, Pedal Bike Tours guide Sarah Gilbert said she’s excited for the inaugural ride on October 1st. “Even though I’m not a habitual pot smoker myself, I’ve had a great time learning about the history of pot and hemp in the state and worldwide. It’s been fascinating to connect with lots of leaders in the pot community and I’ve become pretty passionate about legalization.”

Check out the full description of the tour from PedalBikeTours.com:

Tour Portland like a true Portlandian: through the history, culture and brand-new retail industry of pot. Did you know one of the Willamette Valley’s first commercial crops was hemp? Our city’s fortunes have been tied to the cannabis plant since Oregon Country included all of present-day Oregon, Washington, Idaho and British Columbia. Oregon was the first state to decriminalize marijuana possession, and now you can explore some of the finest pot available — by bike.

Our relaxed eleven-mile journey will introduce you to the art of cannabis in Portland, whether you are a pot newbie or a connoisseur of the herb. We’ll start with describing the history of hemp and pot in this country and state, and detail exactly what, where and how purchasing and consuming cannabis products is legal. We’ll take you to some of our favorite dispensaries and head shops; true legends in the cannabis society both locally and nationwide; and let you browse and shop for the finest locally-grown and organic strains, hand-blown art glass and carved wooden pipes. We’ll also make some suggested “pairings”; when Portlandians get the munchies, we look for the best sweet and salty food available. Think sustainable ingredients, locally-grown produce, hand-harvested salt, and yes: vegan options are available.

The tour will be offered once daily at 3:00pm. The inaugural ride will be this Thursday, the first day recreational marijuana will be legally for sale in Oregon.

Pedal Bike Tours has been in business in Portland since 2008. Company founder Todd Roll has since expanded his company to Hawaii, written the excellent guidebook, Pedal Portland, and gained a bit of notoriety for painting “America’s Bicycle Capital” in huge letters on the side of his downtown location (only to see it painted over a few years later).

Dave September 29, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Well, you know it had to happen.

Joe Adamski September 29, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I occasionally refer to a bike as a self-administered field sobriety test. Be safe.

Aaron September 29, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Refer or reefer?

William Henderson September 29, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Just to be clear, recreational mary jane has been legal since July. What changes Thursday is that you can go into a medicinal dispensary and buy it.

rachel b September 29, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I wouldn’t be sorry if I never heard or read another thing about weed ever again.

John Lascurettes September 29, 2015 at 1:12 pm

That’s how a lot of people feel about beer (not me, mind you! 😉

rachel b September 29, 2015 at 1:19 pm

🙂 I’m not much into beer, either. Wax eloquent though they might, beerlovers are nothing to pot zealots. I will take the beerlover! Beerlover wins for not boring me to death with facts about beer!

mran1984 September 29, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Enjoy that belly…and the gas too! Self righteous zealots are my favorites.

Spiffy September 29, 2015 at 2:00 pm

“Beerlover wins for not boring me to death with facts about beer!”

that’s not a beer-lover…

rachel b September 29, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Hah, Spiffy! 🙂 My point was, though, that as much as a true beerlover can share (and share) their love of beer, that’s nothing to weed worshippers. And mran–if I have a belly it’s for different reasons entirely–as I mentioned, I’m not into beer. Also–a self righteous zealot of what, now? Self righteousness? A self righteous zealot of self righteousness. 😉 That’s me.

Mossby Pomegranate September 29, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Notice how defensive weed worshipers get?

mran1984 September 29, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Oh, I was referring to the beer drinkers belly, not yours. You were quite clear in regards to personal beer consumption.

rachel b September 29, 2015 at 10:58 pm

No problem, mran! I didn’t take umbrage. 🙂 Though now I wonder if I misunderstood your comment entirely… ?

Adam Herstein September 29, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Portlandian

Ugh, our demonym is Portlander.

LC September 29, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Glad to see things like this. Freedom and business opportunity is exactly why cannabis should be legal everywhere.

BeavertonRider September 29, 2015 at 8:11 pm

At least they’re not going to smoking it while riding….I hope.

reader September 29, 2015 at 8:33 pm

True pot lovers would have started he tour at 4:20 instead of 3:00.

John Lascurettes September 30, 2015 at 10:54 am

Maybe the tour ends at 4:20 when you get presented with your courtesy joint. 😉

BeavertonRider September 30, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Can’t wait for the hordes of high riders in the next few months. ~rolleyes~

Eric Iverson October 5, 2015 at 10:47 am

I’d argue many people can ride a bike better while high than drunk. I know many of them.