Special gravel coverage

Holy moly, I’ve been doing this for four years!

Posted by on April 8th, 2009 at 11:27 am

Bunny on a Bike ride

At the 2005 Bunny on a Bike ride.

Just a quick break in the action to share with you all that four years ago today I published my first ever post about biking in Portland (it was posted to the “Bike Fun” blog on Oregonlive.com, I launched BikePortland.org on my own a few months later).

6,655 posts, 75,481 comments and a lot of hard work later and here we are…doing pretty much the same thing (well, O.K., a lot has changed, but I’m still just posting stories about biking in Portland).

It’s been a long and crazy road.

Story continues below

Things have definitely gotten a bit more serious since those innocent days of yesteryear. I can remember back when many folks in town thought there was no way I could keep it up and that burnout was right around the corner. Well, I’m happy to share that I’ve never been more motivated or excited about the work we’re doing and what we’ll be doing in the future.

I’ve got Elly Blue helping full-time these days and just yesterday we welcomed Jonathan Reed (who has thankfully agreed to go by J.R.) as our very first intern (thanks Jonathan!). We’ve got a fantastic (and growing) list of contributors,l and on the homefront, my lady Juli keeps our corporate finances in order (no small task).

A big thanks goes out to everyone in Portland and beyond who reads and/or contributes to this site in the comments. Stay tuned and hang on, the ride is only beginning!

Please support BikePortland.

• Clarence April 8, 2009 at 11:34 am

WORD! Congrats! Who’d of thunk?

• K'Tesh April 8, 2009 at 11:37 am

I only wish that I could have come up with something like this… Guess I’ll just have to keep contributing…

Congrats! Jonathan!
    Welcome J.R.

• Paul M April 8, 2009 at 11:39 am

Congratulations. Thank you. And keep up the good work!

• Anita April 8, 2009 at 11:43 am

Amazing and inspiring especially to other bike bloggers out there! Keep on doing what you Jon and congratulations! I’m a big fan of Bike Portland.

• Alison April 8, 2009 at 11:46 am

Jonathan, thanks for everything. It’s so helpful to have such a great source for all the news about bicycling in Portland. Congratulations on your growing team and your success. It is well deserved.

• Ben Foote April 8, 2009 at 11:53 am

Congratulations to you Jonathan and your contributors over the years. I hope the coming years bring you great success as you grow and prosper with Portland and our bike culture.

• patrickz April 8, 2009 at 12:03 pm

We wish you the best in whatever else to set out to do, Jonathan. Congratulations and THANKS to you, your family and associates for this, our home-page.

• Tony P April 8, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Congrats Jonathan! You’ve been a great help to my business and to cycling in general in Portland. I think things would be much different here with out you doing what you do.

• bike Jax April 8, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Jonathan, that is awesome. Congrats, on the longevity. I hope that I can boost about the same in few years. BikePortland was one of the blogs that inspired me quit bitching about my city and start doing something.

Thank you.

• Paul Tay April 8, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Whoa, momma! Dat’s one messed up mugshot.

• metal cowboy April 8, 2009 at 12:31 pm

As Jonathan was starting this endeavor we split a few beers down at Amnesia. In the course of conversation he asked what I thought of this blog idea as a business. blog? I thought he had something caught in his throat or was making up words. I told him I thought the concept was outstanding and that if he tackled it with all his energy he would soon be living in a van down by the river… or words to that extent. There were pints involved so I might be paraphrasing. What have we learned here? My sage advice and $4 dollars will get you a microbrew in this town.

So glad I was wrong. Congrats. You’ve done this thing with style, integrety, herculean patience and an inclusiveness that’s rare. Carry on!

• P Finn April 8, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Three cheers for Jonathan!

You created a place for a demand to coalesce into a movement, a vision to coalesce into a constructive conversation, and an underrepresented segment of the population now has a stronger, clearer voice.

You help me ride with more confidence and faith in the future. Thank you.

• adam April 8, 2009 at 12:49 pm

well done! +1 on you doing a great job building a site and a team. here is to another 4 great years.

• Amos April 8, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree here…

…no, I’m kidding. It’s just so unusual to see 13 positive comments in a row. If internet commenters love you then you know you’re doing something right!

Great work, Jonathan, You rock!

• matt picio April 8, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Congrats, Jonathan – keep up the outstanding work!

• Grimm April 8, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Keep on rockin Jonathan. I appreciate the great coverage.

• Steve Brown April 8, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Congrats on a great idea than continues to inform and entertain.

• Spencer Boomhower April 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Congrats on four years, Jonathan! You’ve really created something exceptional here, and it just keeps improving. I’m sure Elly’s hard work is a big part of that. Looking forward to J.R.’s contributions.

Bikes are just… better. They’re common sense distilled into a 30-pound contraption that could help save the world. Portland is showing the way (within the States at least), and this site is a big part of that.

• Kevin Wagoner April 8, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Wow, I’ve been reading this nearly every day for several years.

• peejay April 8, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Time for me to pile on to the lovefest here. Don’t quit now!

• mabsf April 8, 2009 at 1:38 pm

While sitting together with a friend yesterday, she bursted out: “We should do a blog about it – like Jonathan’s Bikeportland…”
    All the best and thank you so much for your effort – you are very much appreciated!

• caryebye April 8, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Can’t believe its been that long either! We met at the 2nd Bunny on a Bike Ride 2005. I think your photo is from 2006 tho when we went over the bridges. 🙂

Awesome job and glad you are getting a crew.

• Bill Stites April 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm

What Tony said [#8].

Thanks Jonathan!!

• Kimberlee April 8, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I love this site. Congratulations and keep up the great work!

• Ron Hampel April 8, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Thanks everyone at bikeportland. You’ve made this site a vital part of the cycling community.

• Aaron April 8, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Wow Jonathan. Portland and the whole nation in fact, owes you a huge thank you. Looking back on your first post which has two comments, it’s thrilling to see recent posts with 60-70 comments. Not to mention advertising from big names all over Portland.
    Keep up the great work and we all thing your the best!

• Krampus April 8, 2009 at 7:13 pm

The internet would suck without bikeportland (and all the snarky commenters!)

• John Kangas April 8, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Right on, Jonathan!

I can imagine it’s been a lot of work, but we appreciate it! This blog has been a vital link in Portland’s cycling community. Enough that it was my first introduction to the flickers of bicycle community here in Vancouver, and an inspiration to work with others towards participating in and building some sort of workable community hub of our own. Thank you.

• Drew April 8, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I’m a daily reader. Your part in the revolution (which will not be motorized) is inestimable. Thanks, Jonathan

• tim h April 8, 2009 at 9:10 pm

bikeportland.org is the good news. thanks

• dsaxena April 8, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Thank you for all the work you do!

• Kyrstin April 9, 2009 at 7:04 am

Bike Fun, and those early posts in BikePortland, were a huge part of my transition to car-freedom and cycle-centricity! thanks for the inspiration 🙂

• Carl April 9, 2009 at 7:12 am

Congrats Jonathan,

I read everyday despite not living in Portland. You’re site is an inspiration for other U.S. cities and you have certainly inspired me in several ways.

Keep up the outstanding work.

• Lenny Anderson April 9, 2009 at 8:06 am

Citizens are, indeed, the wealth of the City! Thanks Jonathan for a great job.

• AZ April 9, 2009 at 12:40 pm

This site is my favorite thing about Portland. Thanks to everyone who makes it happen!

• […] forgot to post this yesterday, but Bike Portland marked four years of blogging yesterday. Jonathan Maus and his “Just Riding Along” blog […]

• reenabee April 9, 2009 at 2:42 pm

congrats Jonathan! keep up the good work!!

• revphil April 9, 2009 at 2:56 pm

smooch

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) April 9, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Thanks everyone for such kind words.

I’ve become so much more cynical and stressed at times these days so it’s really great to hear all of this.

• Esther April 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the work you do providing a central source of level-headed, even-handed info that’s of use to bicyclists of all stripes (and polka dots). You do a great job with fair and accurate reporting, having a finger in every pie, and keeping up with many multi-faceted scenes and events. I always look forward to your new posts!!

• […] Click here to visit the full article on the original website.I forgot to post this yesterday, but Bike Portland marked four years of blogging yesterday. Jonathan Maus and his “Just Riding Along” blog was a big […]