Dirt Lab Opening Party June 24th!

Confirmed: Adams will stay (updated with video statement)

Posted by on January 25th, 2009 at 11:42 am

Sam Adams interview-3.JPG

Adams in October 2007.
(Photo © J. Maus)

Mayor Sam Adams has decided to get back to work as the leader of Portland (read and watch him read the official statement below).

After reading speculation about the decision on the Willamette Week’s blog, I contacted a high-level staffer a few minutes ago and was able to confirm that Adams will stay.

The decision comes on a day when The Oregonian published an interview with Beau Breedlove with more information about the nature of his relationship with Adams.

Story continues below

We’ll have more coverage this week. For now. Discuss.

UPDATE: Here’s Mayor Adams in a video statement (text below):

Tomorrow, I go back work as your mayor. I know I have let you down and made mistakes. I ask your forgiveness. I believe I have a lot to offer the city I love during this time of important challenges.

Beginning tomorrow morning, I will be back in my office doing the work that the last 20 years of public service have prepared me for. And my pledge to you is this: I will work harder than I ever have in my life to meet the challenges facing our great city. Tough economic times are creating record unemployment, strained city services, and the worst financial landscape for businesses since the Great Depression.

— in the coming weeks and months, Portlanders will rightfully judge me not by my words, but by my ability to deliver results for them: To prioritize city spending to protect vital services such as public safety;
— to deliver on the 500 million dollar economic stimulus strategy to put Portlanders back to work;
— to improve our schools; and
— to continue to position Portland as the hub of this nation’s green economy;

As we push ahead together on these issues, each and every day – with lessons learned in hand – I will strive to regain your trust and faith in my ability to serve this city.

Thank you.

A video message to Portlanders will be available shortly.

• s January 25, 2009 at 11:49 am

I think you are high on crack.

Everyone knows that Sam Adams intended to stay on for the next six months. What is up in the air, is if he will legally be recalled then.

So, NOT confirmed.

• Kronda January 25, 2009 at 11:51 am

’bout time. Hopefully lesson learned. Fortunately mobs are like dogs–not much long term memory. I’m betting that by July (when a recall effort would be possible), people will be too busy watching Vanessa Williams on Ugly Betty to bother.

• caryebye January 25, 2009 at 11:58 am

Good one Sam. We can’t imagine Portland without you.

Jonathan, you broke the news first for me after the WW speculation.

Yay, after a week of crazy chaos. I can finally get back to work too.

• bDave January 25, 2009 at 11:58 am

This is great news!

• bikieboy January 25, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I think this is the right decision. Now all Portlanders will have a chance to express their opinion in a recall vote – which I’m assuming is pretty much certain to happen.

At this point, I’m not entirely certain how I’ll vote.

• Tony H January 25, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I think this is the right choice. Sam Adams made foolish choices. Still, I think that the costs-financial and otherwise- of a recall or of Sam resigning (and the circus of selecting a replacement) are not worth it. Look: He did a dumb thing, he lied about it, and the truth came out (as it usually does). He knows it and WE know it. Please, Mr. Mayor, don’t allow yourself to become caught in such a compromising situation again. Public forgiveness is not an inexhaustible resource and, assuming that you stay, you’ve used a goodly portion already.

• John Peterson January 25, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Sadly this mess will be with us for months if not years–There will be a well funded and organized recall effort–Adams will be compromised for his entire term. We bikers would do well to make sure our eggs are not all in Sam’s basket.

• dsaxena January 25, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Beah has a dog named Lolita! I just about died laughing when I saw that. Oh, and those are some nice, professional done model shots or Mr. Breedlove.

On a serious note, one of the comments over at the Oregonian got me thinking:

“It is unthinkable that he would be a welcome visitor to any of Portland’s schools, public or private, for a good long time. Juxtaposing the Mayor with 17- and 18-year olds is just not going to work….”

I don’t care who sleeps with who, but I’m really wondering if Sam is going to be able to make any decisions b/c many people do care about this topic. I don’t have children but I’m guessing most parents, liberal or conservative, would feel mighty uncomfortable with their kids being around someone who admitted to having a sexual relationship with an 18 ear old. The question I’m asking myself is that even though Sam has great vision, is he going to be able to be an effective leader or will this always overshadow everything he does? If it takes him 6-9 months to move past this and if the city goes down the recall path, would it best for the city if he were just to resign so people’s energy can be focused on real issues?
    Even if it is the case that Mr. Breedlove seduced Sam and this whole thing was consensual (as Beau has stated in the Oregonian article), I think too many people have black and white blinders when it comes to sexuality and will continue to see this as “older man takes advantage of kid” story and I’m not sure how he can get past that.

• crunchysue January 25, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Nice work breaking the story, Jonathan! And good on ya, Sam Adams, for not quitting your job when the going got rough. Now GET! BACK! TO WORK! 🙂

• caryebye January 25, 2009 at 12:23 pm

well, it’s up to the community to educate people.

Sam did not take advantage of school kid.

• Hollie January 25, 2009 at 12:30 pm

While I’m tentatively happy about this news, I’m seeing that the Oregonian article with Breedlove this morning has changed a lot of supporters to non-supporters. It seems like the good work the rally did has been undermined and that upsets me.

My mind is unchanged and I am still in support of Sam. I don’t think, if he does in fact announce he will stay, that this is the end of it. Not by a long shot. I can HOPE that the commissioners will realize this is a dumb thing to care about and give him the chance I think he deserves to serve as mayor, but that’s up to them.

Those of us who support him still need to be loud and unwavering, which is my plan.

• DT January 25, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I am most disturbed by the blatant homophobia that the interview with Beau has stirred up. If you read the comments to that article, I am left with the impression that people are “okay” with having a gay mayor, until details of his encounters with Beau were released, and then the whole thing is “disgusting”. Score another one for our Puritanical heritage.

On another note, as we go down this Clintonian path, is that now it is apparently up for debate whether kissing is “sexual activity”. I’ll let you guess what the people I just referred to have to say about it.

• Jim January 25, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I don’t think he ever was going to quit, like blogovich he will have to be forced out. Problem is if we wait 6 mo’s people will forget what it was all about and he has a stronger standing. Lets hope the court forces him out sooner

• robert January 25, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Are charges going to be filled? Is there any proof that the 18 year old was 17 when the sex started?

• Mitch Conners January 25, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Until all of the allegations are comply vetted, this isn’t over. This never was just about if he slept with an underaged child. If Adam did provide a planning position to keep someone silent, I will happily vote to have him removed. We need to get all the data before we decide.

• John Russell January 25, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Well, for the record I am a 17-year-old guy and I am glad to have him back. I’m still greatly disheartened over what he did, but I still think that it’s not beyond ourselves to forgive him and get back to work in making Portland the great city that it can be.

• ggw January 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Good on you, Sam! We still support you.

• Uh Huh January 25, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I look forward to seeing you all back here in six months when they start the recall process.

• matthew January 25, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Like I said before on another tread, he’ll cling like a tick to the dog politic. Portland just needs a good dip and grooming to rid itself of unwanted parasites.

• robert January 25, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Man, this quote gives me the creeps!

“This never was just about if he slept with an underaged child”

wow

• Uh Huh January 25, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Also – a 42 year old man who is a public servant making out with a 17 year old kid in the men’s room of City Hall? Real classy. I can see why everyone is defending him.

• Spencer Boomhower January 25, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Beau Breedlove’s dog is named Lolita?

Good to know the universe hasn’t lost its sense of humor.

• Jim F January 25, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Well, could be worse. We could be stuck with a sleazy, lying, morally bankrupt mayor who DOESN’T like bikes.

• becky January 25, 2009 at 2:02 pm

why do I feel like I’m reading the comments over at The Oregonian instead of Bike Portland.

Sam Adams is an unwanted parasite? That doesn’t even make sense given that he won a majority of votes in the primary and didn’t face a run-off.

• Uh Huh January 25, 2009 at 2:06 pm

So everyone who supports bicycles should automatically support Sam Adams? I don’t understand your comment.

• Sad for Portland January 25, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Bad Judgment
    Numerous lies to cover his ass
    More truths unveiled
    More lies
    Abuse of power
    Extremely divided public
    500 or so supporters who are very vocal, while a factor or ten times more detractors

All of this and you are happy? I know he’s all about biking, but does nothing else matter in your lives? Is it truly all about uncompromisable biking ideals? Is this the only thing you have going for you in life?

Can’t you get behind a bike supporter who is not sleazy? Can’t you see he’s only got himself in his own interests? He’s only in it for Sam. He always has been. I never voted for him, because I always thought this to be the case. I never cared of anyone’s sexual orientation. It’s never been in issue to me and never will be. You know he’s so screwed, because of mounting evidence, criminal investigations and a complete lack of respect he has with anyone outside the extreme biking community.

Most of Portland do not think it was OK what he did. Most of Portland also really resents being lied to and duped into voting for him.

He will not be effective. Every day he is in office, is a bad day for Portland. Sam doesn’t care though. He wants his job. Being mayor has always been his goal. HE WANTS IT. He probably can’t afford to quit financially, and he realizes that he really doesn’t have any real world skills outside politics, as he’s never worked a real job.

• Chris January 25, 2009 at 2:15 pm

@ #9, Crunchysue

Jonathon did *nothing* to break this story. That’s not a slight towards Jonathon at all, just the truth. What he did, and this should be commended, was to provide a space for those in the PDX bike community to have a little discourse on the issue.

But to give credit, Nigel Jaquiss at Willamette Week broke the story.

Additionall, and not to lecture, but if you thought Jonathon did break the story, you might want to expand your list of news sources beyond this excellent, but fairly myopically focused bike blog.

• Curt Dewees January 25, 2009 at 2:17 pm

So who is going to fund this “well-funded” recall effort? What do they have to gain by ousting Sam Adams? Follow the money, folks.

We already know that the Portland Police Union jumped hard at the first opportunity they [thought they] had to get rid of Sam. The Tribune and the Oregonian also immediately called for his resignation, but they are both so broke they can barely afford to pay attention. Who else would be willing to dump loads of cash into a recall effort? And why?

• Hanmade January 25, 2009 at 2:32 pm

An unanswered question in my mind is what is Bob Ball’s take on this. After all, he was slammed in public for ‘lying’ about Sam, to the point where he withdrew from his running for mayor. It seems Mr. Adams had a direct influence on what should have been a free and open democratic election. And yet I have seen nothing on this.

• lothar January 25, 2009 at 2:44 pm

#28
    I agree with you . I have been curious as to why the police union jumped on this so fast.It seems as though I smell a wiff of coup . Or maybe that’s the coop next door.

• Spencer Boomhower January 25, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I continue to hope this scandal doesn’t end up sliming Amy Ruiz. She did good reporting at the Mercury, she seemed perfectly qualified for the communication-centric job she was hired to do for Sam, and she seemed poised to do good things for sane transportation options in Portland. Back when, you know, we were all so hopeful about the future.

Siiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhh.

Is there a Pulitzer Prize for dashing hopes and dreams?

• Rixtir January 25, 2009 at 3:07 pm

#30–

Not to waste any more of my time or effort defending Sam, but this is the same police union that defended the pepper spraying of babies, the shooting of Kendra James, and the fatal beating of James Chasse.

The PPA has ZERO credibility on any subject.

• Rixtir January 25, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Back when, you know, we were all so hopeful about the future.

Barack Obama….

• Blair January 25, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Awesome. Get back to work, Sam! We’ll never let you be recalled.

• Spencer Boomhower January 25, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Rixtir:

“Barack Obama….”

Thanks, that helps a bit. Yeesh, this Adams thing has really taken some of the shine off Obama’s first days for us Portlanders, hasn’t it?

Also, I mostly meant hope for the future of transportation options here in Portland. I mean, I really saw Ruiz’ joining Adams’ team as boding well for his position on the CRC. Maybe a hope not too firmly grounded in political realities, but what the hell.

• Chris January 25, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I’ve said it before, I think he should step down. I’m disappointed by the decision. I am among those people who is of the view that it is not about the sex. I

As a.O has been saying in these comment sections, if we don’t hold our elected officials to a high standard of conduct and integrity, we’re never going to get elected officials who live up to what we deserve. Things that have been said, and appointments that have been made must now be seen through a veil of suspicion; the essential business of the city has been disrupted, and will continue to be so for some time; and Sam has suffered a loss of stature and reputation that will make it difficult for him to accomplish his agenda going forward. He has to go.

Having said this, should he not step down, as appears to be the case, I do hope that the recall effort loses momentum and does not materialize. After all this commotion, we do not need the protracted and expensive circus sideshow of a recall to distract us further.

• Hart January 25, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I’ve had a ‘Sam Adams for Mayor’ sign in my yard since he was elected. I knew I kept it up for a good reason.

• mike January 25, 2009 at 4:13 pm

During the 2004 general election cycle Congressman David Wu faced a firestorm of media attention of what was described as a “sexual assault” from his college days.

Rep. Wu went on to win the election by a larges margin: 58% – 38%

During the 2008 primary election cycle, Republican Congressional Candidate Mike Erickson, a social conservative, faced allegations that he fathered a child and dropped-off them mother at the abortion clinic without paying his share.

Erickson went on to win the Republican primary – but lost in the general by just over 5%.

Similar to Adams situation, both those cases did not suffer under any legal complications. Wu was never charged, and Erickson’s behavior, while hypocritical and chump-like never verged on illegal activity.

So, if the question is whether a sex scandal is campaign killer, per se, I think Oregon has recently enough demonstrated the libertarian / what you do in your own home is your own deal – ethic to make it plausible to think that Adams could well survive a recall.

While this is a big deal as scandals go, and this might be along way from being finished, we might get to keep our Mayor.

For me, it’s a good reminder that the politics that concern us need to be larger than our faith in any one leader. We’re all responsible for making our community what it needs to be. It’s tempting to think that the political season is over once the elections are behind us, but we need to raise our voices for the change we want every day.

Go Sam. Go biking. Go us. Go.

• Matthew Denton January 25, 2009 at 4:14 pm

If Portland was a country, (instead of city,) then the police would be the military. Now, think about what the PPA has done, in the context of that analogy. I expect the military to make public statements about wars and stuff like that, and certainly, individuals in the military are free to express their political views. However, when the military as a group starts making statements about how the leader should step down, I’d start packing my bags because I’d be worried that there was going to be a coup…

You don’t have to look too far back in Portland’s history to find a clearly out of control police department, (spying on peace groups, even when there was absolutely no evidence of a crime.) We don’t need to go back to that, and the PPA needs to issue an apology. It was totally inappropriate of them to take a stand on the Mayor stepping down or not, especially publicly.

• chris_lite08@yahoo.com January 25, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Could Potter actually go down as a more effective one-termer? Leonard & Fish are not going to let Sam do squat. Portland is on the same path as DC when Marion Barry was re-elected after the crank smoking hooker binge.

• m January 25, 2009 at 4:19 pm

well good, I was hoping he’d stay in and sooner or later hopefully this will be old news. I think Sam is better than what he did, I think we’re better off with him getting back to what he does best.

I’m willing to bet 90% of the people calling for Sam’s recall don’t even live in Portland. Like the guy pictured in the SnOregonian with the clever sign that was a take on “Sam I Am”. he was from Lake Oswego. Um, if you don’t even live here, stay away from our city hall!

• Hart January 25, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Not only that, they need television and newspapers to tell them what to think. This is just like the Mt. Hood Freeway project. Everybody who wanted it didn’t even live in Portland, they just wanted a quicker, dirtier, louder way to get to work from Gresham and Beaverton.

• lothar January 25, 2009 at 4:36 pm

#41
    My wife and I have had discussions concluding that the CRC may be a part of this as well. I have a feeling some anti sam comments are coming from vantucky.

• velo January 25, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Moving on – it’s over. Sam did something dumb, he isn’t resigning, time to move on.

In 6 months no one is going to give a damn about this and a recall isn’t going to happen.

The aftermath:

Sam – no more wasting political capital fucking 18 year olds.

WWeek – Screw you, all you seem to want is a scandal. How about the state’s inability to fund education?

Oregonian – Still irrelevant, and your editorial board is a bunch narrow minded cowards.

Amy Ruiz – you win!

• destin January 25, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Good news!

• DT January 25, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Hey Hart –

You aren’t alone in that opinion. Here’s a petition telling the media that it isn’t appreciated how they rushed to tell us what we should think:

I think this is worth signing regardless of your opinion about Adams. The preaching by the city’s major media outlets has been deplorable.

• Hart January 25, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Thanks for the link, I signed the petition. The Boregonian and Willamette Weak are as bad as FOX “News”, but until this fake scandal I used to have a lot of respect for the Tribune. Unless they publicly apologize to Adams I don’t see how they can regain credibility.

• dan Kearl January 25, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I am not surprised he is staying although I am not sure how much he is going to be able to do from now on. I am surprised how much Jonathan put his business on the line for this one person. It seems even the bike community is pretty split on this and putting all are political capital on one person doesn’t seem like a great strategy. The gains made in the last few years were made without Adams as mayor and I am sure there are other people out there who could represent us. That being said I wish him good luck and hope everyone gets past this. There are too many other big things to get done.

• matchu January 25, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I’m excited that he has decided to begin focusing on the issues and needs of the city once more. I’m sure the juvenile finger pointing and slippery-slope arguments will continue but I have confidence Adams will do his best to improve the city of Portland despite those given to petty inclinations.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) January 25, 2009 at 5:48 pm

“I am surprised how much Jonathan put his business on the line for this one person”

Mr. Kearl,

Please explain to me how you feel I’ve “put my business on the line”.

I hope you are able to separate the voice of the commenters from the stories above them.

Thanks. I look forward to your reply.

• Andy January 25, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Jonathan,

Cangrats on breaking this story. You really showed the power of independent media with your scoop on this. Also you really made the Oregonian/katu/ect… look foolish. Once again you have shown not only the value of this site but your dedication and all around excellence. Way to go

Oh and Sam, get back to work!

• DT January 25, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Link to Mayor Adams’ statement, released Sunday night:

“Tomorrow, I go back work as your mayor. I know I have let you down and made mistakes. I ask your forgiveness. I believe I have a lot to offer the city I love during this time of important challenges…”

• Twixter January 25, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Not only that, they need television and newspapers to tell them what to think.

Wow that’s some elitist view you guys have there. So let me get this straight – you’re either with Sam or you’re a homo hating jesus freak? If you’re against Sam you must be some uneducated out-of-towner?

I think you would be surprised just how many people (including myself) supported Sam, voted for Sam, and now want Sam to resign. And yes, it really is about the deceit and not about the sex. It was the way he labeled people homophobes when they brought this up while he denied it. Much like people who support Sam are calling anyone opposed to them homophobes.

I think your attitude toward people who think Sam should resign is very telling.

• Twixter January 25, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Cangrats on breaking this story.

Jonathan broke the story? How can you break a story when you source another story that already broke the story? even KPTV had a story saying Sam would stay before Jonathan posted this one.

• Twixter January 25, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Oh, I’m sorry. Did I offend you, Sarah Palin?

Thank you for proving my point.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) January 25, 2009 at 6:28 pm

“Oh, I’m sorry. Did I offend you, Sarah Palin? Sam Adams is your mayor, not your boyfriend. He can lie all he wants about his sex life, it’s still none of your business. Grow up.”

Hart,

Please stop insulting other commenters. I deleted your other comment that called someone a pervert. I will delete all future comments that are not civil. Please don’t be judgmental and mean.

I have also had two people complain to me about the tone of your comments.

Thanks for understanding.

• Hollie January 25, 2009 at 6:29 pm

re: update w/ statement from Sam…

I feel like, for today at least, my work here is done.

phew.

• Hart January 25, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I find their tone to be insulting as well.

• Amos January 25, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I would like to make this an official 3rd complaint about Hart’s comments. On this post and the past one about the child struck in Vancouver.

• Hart January 25, 2009 at 6:39 pm

LOL, the one where I said that cellphones contribute to car accidents?

• Twixter January 25, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I thik the point, Hart, is that you attack people personally. You know NOTHING about me, but you called me ‘Sarah Palin’ and implied that I must be some right-winger because I have a different viewpoint than you.

If you can learn to express yourself without resorting to personal attacks, you will be much more effective at getting your point across.

But it’s very obvious that you don’t know how to control yourself and always need to have the last word. Maybe as you get older you’ll learn how to participate in grown-up discourse.

• John Russell January 25, 2009 at 6:52 pm

On a side note, I am from Vancouver, and I support Sam Adams. On the other side of things, I don’t know anyone else up here who does. Maybe it’s because I’m one of the few up here who would prefer world-class bike facilities on the CRC rather than twelve lanes. Just saying.

• Hart January 25, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Right, and when you pretend Sam supporters are calling you a “homophobe” that’s making a good argument?

I haven’t heard one person claim that here or anyone else. So you’re making up fake accusations.

• Brad January 25, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Let’s see how popular Adams is with cyclists in about a year or so.

My prediction – Leonard, Fish, Fritz, Saltzman, Chief Sizer, the police union, the PDC, the CRC, and every other non-bike interest group in Portland will have their way with Sam under threat of joining or bankrolling the recall forces if he refuses. After he gives in to their demands, there will be very little if any money left for a loose rag tag confederation of bike riders.

I’ll be interested to see how much support he’ll get here after he makes the announcement, much like he did for the proposed I-405 recycled bridge, that their just isn’t enough money left after all of the “important” job creation, economic stimulation, and essential services that must get funded in tough economic times.

Sam just got neutered and I fear the bike community did too.

• Will Radik January 25, 2009 at 7:18 pm

YESSS! Big thanks to bikeportland.org for their support of Sam through this madness.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) January 25, 2009 at 7:39 pm

“Let’s see how popular Adams is with cyclists in about a year or so. “

“…a loose rag tag confederation of bike riders.”

“Sam just got neutered and I fear the bike community did too.”

Brad,

I think it’s a big mistake to try and generalize people that care about improving bike conditions in this city. It’s far from a “rag tag” bunch.

The idea of a well-defined “bike community” in the way you use it above is nothing but a popular myth. Anyone that bases opinions or policies on that myth is really missing the boat.

Also, bike-related issues are way bigger than Mayor Adams. He is supportive of bikes because he “gets it” (to a certain extent) and because many people in this city care about bikes.

This city is bike-friendly because of the thousands of people that ride, the many people that advocate and work on bike issues and projects at the city and because of a handful of politicians that care about it — Mayor Adams is part of that, but he’s just one part of a much larger picture.

• dan Kearl January 25, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Jonathan, I overstated that you put your business on the line, however you have put your website behind Adams, which I don’t think is an overstatement. A lot of people have responded to this and a lot have not been big supporters, yet you as a monitor have allowed people who have not backed Adams to be skewered by others on your forums. Again, I don’t think he should resign over this but backing somebody to the hilt who may not be able to get anything done should concern bike advocates. It is almost a diss to groups like the B.T.A, O.B.R.A., SHIFT, etc. to think that nothing gets done for the bike community without Sam Adams.

• Hart January 25, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Nobody has ever said that Portland’s cycling community lives or dies with whoever is working in the Mayor’s office.

• Mark C January 25, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Probably a smart move on Adams’ part to not resign just yet. Better to let it play out and see if things die down. I have my doubts, however, that he will be able to truly get beyond this. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him resign at some point down the line.

• Andrew January 25, 2009 at 8:12 pm

I’m very happy that Sam has decided to stay.

To those of you who think that there will be a well organized and funded recall attempt I would offer that I am one of many who would fight tooth and nail for Sam a second time around.

Jonathan, thank you for keeping us all posted on this news. I think your articles have been considerate and comprehensive.

If it appears that you have a “skewed” opinion towards Adams, it is only because your balanced and just approach seems so alien to the news outlets who only seem capable of channeling the most narrow minded, sensationalized, conservative, and often homophobic perspective.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) January 25, 2009 at 8:17 pm

“you have put your website behind Adams, which I don’t think is an overstatement.”

dan,

just want to make clear that on this specific issue I have not “put my website behind Adams”. I have tried to provide objective coverage tinged with my many mixed feelings about the events.

In the past, I agree to some extent that I have provided positive coverage for things the community and Adams were pushing for (the Sauvie Bridge being the one that comes to mind).

However, the past is the past. I have learned a lot about how to be an effective journalist in a short amount of time, especially as it pertains covering Adams and bike issues.

“backing somebody to the hilt who may not be able to get anything done should concern bike advocates.”

first, just want to say that this site has not “backed somebody (Adams) to the hilt”. second, I agree with you that Adams’ ability to get things done should be a concern..but not just for bike advocates… for everyone.

“It is almost a diss to groups like the B.T.A, O.B.R.A., SHIFT, etc. to think that nothing gets done for the bike community without Sam Adams.”

I don’t think that at all.

• m January 25, 2009 at 8:33 pm

“Tomorrow, I go back work as your mayor.”

ok, the lying I can deal with, but making typos in a statement about going back to work is just unacceptable. I have now changed my mind. Resign Immediately!!!
    j/k

• Devin January 25, 2009 at 9:01 pm

“If you want to dance you have to pay the piper”

Sam is paying the piper. However, it’s under these circumstances that people tend to grow and learn the most. I feel this terse reprimand will serve as a reminder to Sam to be strong and stay the course.

Best of luck, don’t let us down.

• a.O January 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm

To me, this whole scandal was and is defined by partisanship.

Those who supported Adams beforehand refused to acknowledge that he perpetrated a fraud on the voters.

Those who were against Adams beforehand engaged in blatant political opportunism and many used homophobia to stoke the flames. I suspect many of them aren’t even Portlanders.

Regardless, it is now definitely time to move on.

• Jim January 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Dan-
    It is good business for Jonathon to have a forum on such a controversial topic. he lets me stae my opinions which are often not the same as his might be. Some people may not like my opinions and sometimes after I listen to their position I may have a change of heart too (or not). Maybe other people are willing to change their views also (or not). I like it when everybody gets all fired up. Maybe after lots of discusion we can all take it all in and make a more educated stand.
    ok- I’m done, so smear me all you jim haters…..

• postmoves January 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Jonathan, I think you have acted fairly in your coverage.
    I realize when I log into your posts that I am viewing a special interest site. I do not begrudge the bent of the contributors to this site, as I try to filter through the eyes of that interest.
    I am probably as vanilla as you’d find in the east side; beholding little prejudice. I love it here.
    But I do resent people affecting my way of life for their own purposes.
    I take little from others, tread lightly as possible, and protect my family as best I can.
    I resent that I must explain this situation to my teen girls. If a 42 year old man in a position of power made out in a bathroom with my seventeen year old, there would be consequences for that person. Law be damned, it is immoral.
    Any other father must say the same, or I have no respect.
    The following is the text of the message I sent to Amanda Fritz (my representative):
    ‘As a constituent, parent, business owner, and human of moral fiber, I implore you to reconsider your support of Sam Adams.
    At minimum this is a distraction that will derail any chance of balanced representation by him on our behalf.
    Fundamentally, the lies and subsequent revelations are the items of which I have a deciding problem, thus far.
    Everything I have heard to date is that he is a strong-willed, impetuous, manipulative individual, (many of the qualities needed to hold an effective office), and that personality type will not go down without further improprieties, be them retribution against those accusers, etc. – in my opinion.
    Therefore, we need to cut our losses.
    Further, please, as a father of a teenager, I can absolutely not imagine his behavior while in a position of authority be condoned on any level (specifically referencing the Breedlove revelations of today).
    I implore you to act as my elected official, a representative of and for my family.’

I realize the impact of this, and appreciate the prevalent protectionism, but implore all to be as objective as possible and understand that his actions have driven a wedge into the psyche of those that may otherwise be open to his leadership, only resulting in skepticism approaching repulsion.
    All initiatives taken up by Adams will meet with a resistance exaggerated by his history. Period.
    And I, for one, cannot promise to be impartial.

Thnaks again Jonathan for this forum.

• lacorota January 26, 2009 at 12:03 am

Great! To be sure, his tenure will be punctuated by this issue ad nauseum. For all manner of alternate transportation — cycling, public transit, pedestrian — to be considered with genuine respect, we need a paradigm shift of thinking and, the POLITICAL WILL.

Adams is perhaps the first to facilitate that shift the cycling community desperately needs. We’ve been evalgelized too long with church rats and cheap gas (opium of the masses).

• Eileen January 26, 2009 at 12:12 am

I’m not happy or unhappy about this. I’m also not surprised. I’m a strong believer in forgiveness and second chances. I am worried about the future.

Hart, I think your ethics are skewed. I mean badly. No, it is not okay to lie to anyone ever. Really, it’s not. I understand that this is a value I hold, but it is a value that is common across cultures and religions (I have read studies on this). Only among the modern-day narcissist crowd has it become okay. Sam Adams DOES have a right to keep his love life private, but refraining from comment is quite different from lying.

I’m not about to start circulating petitions and there’s not anything I intend to do to force him out of office. I’m pleased that he has admitted his mistake but I still sense that there are half-truths. Saying that “kissing is not sexual activity” is vaguely reminiscent of “I did not have sex with that woman”, (she just gave him a blow-job). I’m wondering how he plans to earn back my trust because I”m open to the possibility that he’s learned and grown from this experience, but so far I remain skeptical.

Jim, I almost never agree with you, but I do agree with your right to be here and I admire your willingness to take an unpopular stand. You’re right, everyone needs to listen open-mindedly to opposing viewpoints. Anyone who tunes out the opinions they find offensive is closed-minded. In my opinion. That said, you are more likely to be heard when you can be respectful.

• robert January 26, 2009 at 12:48 am

That is the first time I have ever heard him speak. He has the herky/jerky style down just like Barrack Obama.

Today I …….come to you……as your…….mayor.

• Brian January 26, 2009 at 2:21 am

I stand by Sam.

• joe January 26, 2009 at 5:22 am

this is good news. now let’s hold Sam’s feet to the fire to deliver on his 100 days promises…

• JR January 26, 2009 at 6:58 am

I suspect and hope that Sam will be on his toes and really make his ambitions for his first 100 days in office come to fruition – 15 miles of new bike boulevards, several new bike corrals in bike parking deficient business areas, etc..

So sick of the rest of the region trying to dictate what our mayor should do… I’m very glad he’s staying and I say bring on the recall – if anything it’ll just confirm my suspicions that most Portland residents really just don’t care about Sam’s private life.

• not counted January 26, 2009 at 7:09 am

I am truly disheartened by our new mayor. All his actions indicate that he is a politician through and through. He plays special interest groups and the good people of this city to gain and wield as much power as he can. Adams is lacking in good judgment and I believe his involvement can now damage bicycle advocacy through his association. Sam Adams is tainted goods and I want nothing to do with him.

• SECyclist January 26, 2009 at 8:58 am

I fear that Sam is so compromised by this fiasco that his leadership will consist of trying not to take stands unpopular with the masses. I’m afraid that means he’ll abandon constituencies (like cyclists)and won’t do as much for those groups as he was inclined to do before. I think he’ll seek to appease the motorists since he’s calculated that cyclists are already among his supports. I hope I’m wrong, but….

• vincentpaul January 26, 2009 at 9:01 am

I really hope he pushes his bike agenda through in the first 180 days of his term. Or better yet the first 100.

Because after 180 days he is toast. The bike community really needs to start making alliances with those who might be likely his likely successor.

• Mitch Conner January 26, 2009 at 9:18 am

#76 – I suggest there’s another group of use that supported him (and voted for him) enthusiastically during the election, but have serious second thoughts about him based on his actions. I wanted him out at first, but now I’m willing to give him another chance provided: 1) The investigations of possible office abuses moves forward. 2) The recall will move forward if it appears Adams still has not told the truth or kept his promise to the people of this city.

#80 – Well said.

• Allison January 26, 2009 at 9:48 am

I am so sick of this story.

• Brian Johnson January 26, 2009 at 10:07 am

I just glanced at the front page interview with Mr. Breedlove in the Oregonian. After reading just a couple of sentences I had to put the paper down.

Mr. Breedlove doesn’t seem to be enjoying the media attention at all. No sir, not one bit.

This is such a silly media circus. A shame.

• junixrose January 26, 2009 at 10:34 am

Eileen

I find your condemnation of my morality to be personally offensive and shortsighted.

“No, it is not okay to lie to anyone ever. Really, it’s not. I understand that this is a value I hold, but it is a value that is common across cultures and religions (I have read studies on this). Only among the modern-day narcissist crowd has it become okay.”

I am not alone in believing that it is morally acceptable to answer an inappropriate question with a lie, nor is it a new idea within a modern population. Even a quick study of history can find examples of both schools of thought. Disregarding those who disagree with you as being a “narcissist” is both offensive and narrow-minded.

As a matter of education our society has taught our children that there are times when it is acceptable to lie. Such as when it will cause no harm and prevent insult: “Grandma I love the sweater you made me.” It is even encouraged in situations where it can keep us safe: ” ‘Are your parents home little boy/girl?’ ‘Yes, but they can’t come to the door right now.’ ”

Few things are so simple as to be black and white. Honesty is a grey area as well. To put this back in context you said:

“Sam Adams DOES have a right to keep his love life private, but refraining from comment is quite different from lying.”

Unfortunately “no comment” is not an acceptable answer to the media as those who don’t deny an allegation are assumed to have something to hide. If you were asked if you did something and you answered anything other than no then you would be assumed to have done it despite the lack of evidence. In the media you are guilty until proved innocent and as such they don’t deserve honesty.

You may not agree with me but I am not a “narcissist” for believing as I do.

• JE January 26, 2009 at 11:00 am

And now for something completely different: A lying politician.

• Paul Tay January 26, 2009 at 11:12 am

Sam is really showing his true colors.

• Hart January 26, 2009 at 11:17 am

You forget, sadly, who Bill Clinton said those words to and under what circumstances. Sam lied to the Willamette Weak, and should be commended for it. Bill Clinton said those words while under oath.

And if you think it’s not okay to lie about your private sex life, it would seem yours is the skewed morality, not mine.

• Roma January 26, 2009 at 11:39 am

Hart –

So let me get this straight – it’s ok to lie depending on a few factors: 1) who you are lying to 2) what you are lying about

I’m glad we have someone with an objective point of view like yourself to tell as all when, where and to whom it’s ok to lie when you’re an elected public servant.

I’d love to see your comments if we were talking about a Republican who did the same thing. I have a feeling they would be much different.

• Hart January 26, 2009 at 11:46 am

Yes. Republicans get to lie about their sex lives too, and lord knows they do.

• Diogo January 26, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Maybe I’m wrong, but my understanding is that Portland has been pursuing bicycle and environmental paths way before Sam Adams was a political force. From what I know, he is a carrer politician who embraced the bike and green folks as his constituencies because that was politically sound for him – and not an advocate first who went into politics to advance those goals.

The question now is – since he has the support of that constituency locked, will he govern for the “more conservatives” in order to guarantee his political future?

• Anonymous January 26, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Hart,

Lying to the media is lying to the electorate.

We have the First Amendment to the constitution for a reason. So that politicians can’t hide information from the electorate nor control the release of information to the electorate.

A free press is part of the checks and balances in this country.

You lie to the media, you lie to the electorate because the media is there to represent the public’s right to information.

• peejay January 26, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Anon # 98:

Please don’t equate the media with the electorate. The media don’t represent me or my interests. They represent the interests of the corporations that own them and employ their staffs. They are profit-making enterprises, and as such, occasionally align their stories with the public interest, but often do not. If the media do a good job, their representatives might earn some respect, and if they do not, they should be treated with scorn or at least suspicion.

• Hart January 26, 2009 at 2:16 pm

The public has no right to know the private sex life of the Mayor. You wanna read trash, keep reading the Willamette Weak.

• Mike January 26, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Even if that sex life is against the law?
    I realize that that fact has yet to be determined, but if Adams did commit rape, what then? When does it become the right of the public to know?

• Hart January 26, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Yeah, because kissing a 17 year old is the same thing as rape. Am I allowed to complain about these kinds of comments, Jonathan?

• Anonymous January 26, 2009 at 2:59 pm

When will you get past the point that it is about sex.

Adams had many options to deal with the press on this.

Instead he lied. He got others to lie. He then used the press to perpetuate his lies and smear someone. He admitted to lying to gain office.

Gee, the press is good when it presents your lies, but bad when they call you on your lies.

Someone smearing you is bad, but it’s okay to smear them.

Are you getting an idea of how Adams works?

Probably not since you will back him regardless of the facts presented.

• DT January 26, 2009 at 3:09 pm

In a perfect world, the media would be the watchdog and the voice of the people. Unfortunately, peejay is right – they do not represent the voice of the people, but instead the voice of the corporations that own them. Let’s not drink the kool-aid labeled “the media has no bias.”

peejay – thanks for pointing this out.

• eileen January 26, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Junixrose, hmmm… I think that you are condemning the morality of people who think Sam Adams was wrong to lie, aren’t you? I’m sorry if I offended you. I suppose I could have been more tactful in my response, although I still stand by the basic sentiment. I was actually condemning your ethics because I have no idea about your morality.

I actually think even white lies are harmful. Grandma needs to know if the sweater is not your style because she loves you enough to want to buy you a present you would really enjoy. You can thank her for the thoughtfulness of her gift because you truly do appreciate that she went to the trouble of getting you anything, but if she asks you directly if you like it, is better to tactfully say that it is not your style or color or whatever.

I don’t think any lie is acceptable. If you lie to avoid confrontation with someone who asks inappropriate questions, you are being passive aggressive and cowardly. Instead say, “that’s an inappropriate question which I’m not going to answer.” Lying just encourages others’ bad behavior. The only time I might see lying as acceptable is for issues of safety, but even then, the person on the receiving end of the lie would have to be pretty psycho. Call me extreme, but this is a topic I have thought deeply about and when you consider all the extended ramifications of lying vs. not lying, in very few circumstances does lying help make the world a better place. It is usually harder in the short-term to be truthful, but has better long-term results. Lying is almost always a cowardly way out.

I didn’t say that YOU were a narcissist, but I have noticed that a) there is a high level of narcissism in the under 30 crowd which has been documented and b)cheating and lying seem to be morally acceptable among this same age group. That has been my observation as a teacher and I find it incredibly disturbing.

• Hart January 26, 2009 at 6:14 pm

“Lying is almost always a cowardly way out.”

Prying is almost always a cowardly way in.

• Anonymous January 26, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Eileen –

Just to give you a little hope, I’m 28 and agree with what you’ve said!

• GlowBoy January 26, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Well, here’s one opinion that lying to anyone whose vote would have been changed based on Adam’s consensual sex life is to be commended, not condemned.

• GlowBoy January 26, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Mike (#99), if it turns out Adams had sex with a minor then of course it becomes the right of everyone to know. It is a criminal act, and that’s public record. I don’t think there’s any dispute about that.

• Eileen January 26, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Hart, I didn’t ask any prying questions of Sam Adams. But your statement “Prying is almost always a cowardly way in” exactly proves my point. In the situation that someone has shown the bad behavior of asking questions which are none of his business, is it better to a)make up a lie to appease him and let him think that you didn’t really mind the question and that he is perfectly fine to run around asking such questions? Or b) is everyone better served if you honestly tell him that he shouldn’t be asking questions like that and you for one have no intention of answering? If you choose option a, you are both cowards. If you choose option b, you get to be the bigger person while maintaining your integrity.

Another way to avoid lying is to not do things you will need to lie about.

• Hart January 26, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Another way to avoid lying is to not do things you will need to lie about.

Or maybe move to a town that’s actually tolerant of homosexuals and the lives they live.

• Eileen January 26, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I don’t think this has anything to do with his being gay. Do you really think that? I don’t know anyone who brought that up before the election or during this whole fiasco. Sides for and against have not brought that fact into the matter.

• Hart January 26, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I didn’t think it was about sexual orientation, but after the last three days of hearing gay slurs thrown at the mayor I really can’t help but conclude the vast majority of these people view Adams’ actions as somehow turning an otherwise hetero boy gay.

This forum is by far the most civil, but if you read the Willamette’s forum, Oregonlive, even the Huffington Post, there is rampart gay bashing going on in regard to not only Mr. Adams, but the entire queer community in Portland.

• Hart January 27, 2009 at 12:53 am

Here’s a sample of the things being said about our Mayor and our City over at Oregonlive:

His behavior has galvanized the usual stereotype that gay man are nothing more than ravenous sex machines who cannot control their passions. It seems one would desire a…change from business as usual toward the darker recesses of the gay world.

in Kentucky, we have ways to rid a house of varmints. what do you need to do in Oregon?

Because it’s 2009 I should have a greater tolerance for a tranny and a man making out on the corner near where we were sitting during the Starlight Parade? That’s what I am talking about, what normal person wants to see that?

Portland is that place where it’s okay for 42 year old people to make sexual advances on underage kids

there is a huge difference between men and women making out then a man dressed up as a women making out with a guy! You call it what you want but just like the woman in Bend being labeled a man having a baby, I call them freaks!!

My 2 older kids (who can read) saw the headlines of the Oregonian Sunday and I had to explain to them that some people like people of the same sex. They’re 8 and 6, is that an appropriate discussion for an 8 and 6 yr old? Explaining homosexuality to them?

the ever hip, trendy Portland buries ethics and integrity just BECAUSE he’s gay.

the rest of the United States is jailing freaks for doing exactly what Sam Adams did, it must be okay here. People out here just accept it. They just slap his limp little wrists and say no no Sam we don’t do that. Now get back to playing nicey nice.

The gay community is highly orgainized. Why is it that all of these “Gay PRide” parades never occur on the same day? THEY NEED NUMBERS PEOPLE!!!

Breedlove doesn’t look like a very attractive guy, but I thought maybe gay guys like the freakish look!

There is going to be a time,that SAM,and those that support this crap will pay.

The worst ones I couldn’t find again amid the hundreds of rants against Sam.

• steve January 27, 2009 at 1:03 am

You know what is really funny Hart? Remember back during the Foxworth nonsense?

Sam made a public statement that he knew it was time for Foxworth to step down because the situation had deteriorated to the point of becoming the butt of jokes.

Isn’t that funny! It is sort of similar huh? How the Mayor’s actions have become a national joke? You think that might be why so many previous supporters of his want him to leave already?

Of course, you have not paid attention to anything a single person here has said, so I doubt any of that makes a difference to you.

Amy Ruiz for president!

• Hart January 27, 2009 at 1:16 am

Actually, Steve, I’ve been paying attention to what has been said on numerous different forums. Did you see the list of bigoted statements I assembled for you to read from the compassionate folks at OregonLive? ‘Cuz, y’know, I wouldn’t have been able to do that if I wasn’t paying attention, Steve.

• carless in pdx January 27, 2009 at 4:24 am

I’m really sick of this story.

And my god, Eileen, I didn’t know someone could be so naive and actually survive in this day and age by never lying at all? I have actually been in several situations that if I had not lied, I would likely have been beat up, mugged or murdered.

Hell, just the other day the Metro president admitted the entire Damascus Urban Growth Boundary expansion was a lie, and that they never expected it could ever succeed in 40 years! They spent millions of dollars, had all these hearings, and they knew that it was merely a ploy to appease the housing developers to save the environment and farmland from destruction.

Oh! The irony!

• Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 6:06 am

peejay, DT,

So you live in a vaccuum. You ignore the media completely. You don’t read newspapers, you don’t watch the news, you don’t listen to the radio, you don’t go to the web.

How exactly do you get information about the world around you? How do you form your opinions on issues?

How did you learn about this issue? You must have been present when the question was asked. You must have attended every city council meeting. You must have shadowed Bob Bell and Sam Adams for months.

You may not agree with a stance from the media, nor their reasons for what they do, but you do take the information they present and process it to come to your own conclusions on issues. You cannot say you dismiss the media.

When the media stood up for Sam which much of it in Portland did, you didn’t dismiss that backing and say “I’m going to find out for myself”. I’m sure you were quite happy to point out that Sam had the support of WW, The Oregonian and Just Out.

Now that the media is not reporting what you want to hear they can be dismissed.

If the media is nothing more than biased money makers, I’m sure you place bikeportland.org in that same boat. Definitely a one agenda website that makes money off advertisers. I’m surprised you would sully yourself by even posting here.

The media is here and it does serve a purpose. Some of it selfserving, but without it where would you get any information to form an opinion.

Feel free to snub the media and live in a vaccuum. I’ll continue to read and view from multiple sources to get as much information as possible to form an educated opinion rather than a strictly emotional one.

• Tony Fuentes January 27, 2009 at 7:03 am

Hart and steve,

Wow! You guys have displayed incredible endurance on this issue.

My fingers would’ve cramped from the typing of hundreds of comments and lack of sleep – but Hart and steve? Unstoppable!

In fact, I don’t see any end in sight for your on-going dialog and commitment to this issue…unless….

hartandstevecagefight.com

Yes, it IS time!

I have grabbed the domain, you boys tell me when you are ready to rock!

Flame on!

Tony

• Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 9:16 am

FROM http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_012709_news_sam_adams_breedlove_.b276873.html?npc#slcgm_comments_anchor

“The mayor met independently with each of the other city commissioners. What he was trying to do there, I rather strongly suspect, is to try and mend fences,” Lunch said. “I would imagine there was probably some back and forth, probably some quid pro quo.”

The commentator, Bill Lunch is a Political Scientist at OSU.

So he expects some quid pro quo between Adams and the city commissioners.

What does that really mean?

It means Sam is already feeling the heat from his actions. Sam may have a view of what Portland should be, but we most likely won’t see it because this albatross around his neck is going to influence every negotiation and council meeting he participates in.

Sen. Ron Wyden has also come out stating he has lost faith in Adams. How is the mayor supposed to go to the federal government with funding requests for our city when our own state rep doesn’t see him as a viable representative for the people of Portland.

• steve January 27, 2009 at 11:23 am

Sam is done. Time for more change we can believe in..

Amy Ruiz for Mayor!!!!

• Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Latest on Sam’s staff.

Wade Nkrumah, a spokesman for Mayor Sam Adams, announced this morning he has resigned his job.

Nkrumah, an openly gay man and former long-time reporter for The Oregonian, said he told Adams last night of his decision, which takes effect immediately. Nkrumah described the reaction of the mayor as “obviously very disappointed.”

Nkrumah’s resignation less than a month into Adams’ term is the first public resignation by a staff person in Adams’ office since the mayor admitted last week to lying about his sexual relationship with 18-year-old Beau Breedlove. Nkrumah offered no comment on the reasons for his resignation.

UPDATE: Tom Miller, Adams’ chief of staff, wrote in an email responding to a request for comment on Nkrumah’s resignation from the job (a post that paid $80,000 a year at a time when unemployment is climbing) that “My office policy is to not comment on personnel matters.”

• Hart January 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I find it difficult to find sympathy for “a long-time reporter for The Oregonian”.

• Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Hart,

You can spin anything to be in your favor can’t you.

Sam can do no wrong in your eyes so Wade Nkrumah must be a pretty good guy since Sam hired him right?

Amy Ruiz a former reporter is on Sam’s staff. You’ve got no problem with her.

You’re sending conflicting signals.

That being said where is there any request for sympathy for Mr Nkrumah? The article simply states he resigned Monday night. Strictly informational and on point.

• Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Hey Hart,

Did you know that Sam’s current boyfriend is Peter Zuckerman, a reporter for The Oregonians, Oregon City bureau?

Sam really doesn’t have an issue with reporters from The Oregonian. Why do you ?

• Hart January 27, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Because the Oregonian refuses to report the death tolls in Palestine and this fall sent out that anti-Muslim propaganda DVD that virtually every other newspaper in the nation deemed as hate speech.

• Eileen January 27, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Carless,
    I didn’t say I was perfect and sure I have taken the easy way out at times. If you read my comment, I said that for issues of safety, it’s okay. As far as the sneaky back-room style politics that seems to be gaining popularity to get your agenda through behind the voter’s backs, ummm… no, I don’t support that. I think we would have a lot less political divide and fewer wars if opposing sides would meet at the table and respectfully and honestly state their cases. Call me naive, call me idealistic, but you have to act the way you would want others to or we find ourselves caught in a never-ending cycle of lies and deceit. Oh wait, that’s where we are. Stop the cycle!

• Anonymous January 29, 2009 at 6:08 am

It made Time Magazine.

Getting better every day.