Here’s the news, folks!
(Photo © J. Maus)
- Governor Kulongoski has a vision for green transportation. Unfortunately, it’s all about cars. On a trip to Asia last week, he made a deal with Nissan to add their electric cars to the state’s fleet, and lobbied hard to bring China’s cheap hybrid cars to Oregon. Meanwhile, he is working with PGE to increase the number of electric car charging stations in Portland.
Governor, where’s the love for bikes?!
- Our driving habits changed when gas hit $4 a gallon — and they still haven’t changed back, even though prices are hovering around $2, reports Dylan Rivera in Wednesday’s Oregonian.
- The New York Times reports that a study has found that NYC’s growing number of people on bikes is not adequately served by law or infrastructure. Unfortunately, the report places the blame entirely on people’s riding behavior. Judge for yourself…
- A judge in Yamhill County has ruled that some Measure 37 development claims can still go forward. This adds yet another twist to the ongoing fight to maintain the Portland area’s Urban Growth Boundary. We can expect this one to be appealed.
- Squawkfox gives 10 reasons why Cars are the New Smoking
- Ever wanted to unleash your inner bike star? Find inspiration with “Bike Hero”
Discuss these links and add your own in the comments below.
Elly Blue has been writing about bicycling and carfree issues for BikePortland.org since 2006. Find her at http://takingthelane.com