Harvest Century September 22nd

Naked Ride Trial postponed

Posted by on December 13th, 2006 at 1:26 pm

[Still from interview with Phil and
his lawyer. See it at
Crank My Chain TV]

This morning at the Multnomah County Courthouse nearly 20 cyclists showed up to support Reverend Phil Sano in his trial for an incident that happened on the World Naked Bike Ride last June.

The group included BTA Director Evan Manvel, Dan Kaufman from Crank My Chain TV and a reporter and photographer from the Oregonian.

Unfortunately it was much ado about nothing as the trial was officially postponed until January. According to Phil’s lawyer, Stu Sugarman (who was on the Naked Ride himself and is representing Phil pro bono), there were several other trials that had priority and there was no judge able to hear the case today.

[Phil was ready, suit and all.]

Phil — who was dressed in a very proper suit and tie — says the trial has been postponed multiple times and that Sugarman might use this fact to argue for a dismissal on grounds of a mistrial.

On a side note, this morning’s Judge was Cheryl Albrecht, who left a comment on BikePortland back in September and I assume would be understanding of a cyclist’s perspective.

I did a short interview with Phil and Stu Sugarman outside the courthouse. See it on Crank My Chain TV.

Please support BikePortland.

Jeff December 13, 2006 at 6:40 pm

At least Phil has Cheryl presiding over the case. It should help.

Cecil December 13, 2006 at 9:10 pm

Unless the case was specifically assigned to Judge Albrecht, the fact that she was the judge this morning does not necessarily mean she will be the judge whenever the case does finally go out, unless she had her clerk keep it on her calendar. With some exceptions, the Multnomah County Circuit Court judges hear cases on a rotation basis, so whoever is up on the rotation would hear the case when it finally goes out.

Ethan December 14, 2006 at 1:06 am

Damn, Phil looks SHARP!

adam December 14, 2006 at 5:12 am

that lawyer guy is very smart. if you have the chance to talk with him, my advice is to listen carefully.

of course, this whole thing is a giant waste of city time and city resource. the city that works? perhaps it is time for a new slogan, potter, sizer, good lt, etc?

“The City which chooses to waste loads of time and money persecuting fun loving jokesters who do alot for their community”.

wait, I suck at marketing campaigns…

Chakra Lu December 14, 2006 at 10:34 am

damn, rev…i agree, you looking nice!

revphil December 14, 2006 at 2:03 pm

Thanks yalls, the support from people was grand. And the afterparty was outstanding.

go forth yonder biker and kickass

jami December 14, 2006 at 4:54 pm

revphil, the portland mercury says the suv lady (ahem) got so mad she tried to run you over, with a cop as a witness to the whole thing. is that true, and if so, how is it that you’re the one on trial, exactly?

Dabby December 14, 2006 at 5:11 pm

the cop was her passenger, and they left the scene moments later…

Dabby December 14, 2006 at 5:12 pm

And I believe Phil attacked their car first, sadly…..

SKiDmark December 14, 2006 at 6:14 pm

If slamming your hand on the hood of a car as it rolls toward you is “attacking”.

Dabby December 14, 2006 at 11:31 pm

I have hit many a car with my hand. I have attacked cars…
    Yet, I was wise enough to leave immediately afterward……

SKiDmark December 15, 2006 at 12:31 am

Dabby, I am pretty sure you know what “corking an intersection” means.

revphil December 15, 2006 at 11:36 am

If I had left the scene I would have been guilty of another offense. At the time, I was sure that when the cops showed up, they would listen to everyone there, she would go to jail, and then everyone would be safer.

For the record, the cops response time was under a min (impressive) and the car with the drunk driver lingered around while several other bikers tried to collect info from witnesses and were threatened with arrest from the Sg. who refused to provide his business card to Jasun, the organizer of the ride.

As to why Officer Stensgaard didn’t defend the public? I would love to ask him that question. I would also like to know why he feels compelled to pay Amanda Truscott’s parking tickets. Weird.

adam December 16, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Amanda Truscott is her real name? it does not get any better than that. any relation to the hollywood person?

whatever, it does not get more amusing to some to think about a rich blue blood(who was obviously intoxicated) trying to run phil over with her brand new suv.

and, please stop saying he was naked – clearly, he was wearing a vest. I thought the off duty cop was just jealous of phils equipment. how many dollars did that idiot waste on her parking tickets?

this is really some tale…