PDX Lox available via Cyclone Bicycle Supply

Hit-and-run bike rider leaves one duck dead – UPDATED

Posted by on April 6th, 2015 at 12:27 pm

duck
R.I.P. little guy.

UPDATE: The man who ran over the duck has left a comment explaining his side of the story.

On the many paved, off-street trails that wind through the subdivisions of Washington County, there are some path users who are truly vulnerable. On Saturday we learned about a disturbing incident that involved one such user, a mallard duck, that tried to cross the path adjacent to Bethany Lake (near NW 185th and West Union).

According to a tipster named Steve C., just before noon a man wearing a red and white lycra jersey came rolling down the path near the lake, struck the duck and left it dead, then failed to stop.

Steve said several people pleaded with the man to stop and report the incident to the Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District; but to no avail.

Now a report has been filed with the THPRD and they want to find the rider and ask him a few questions. According to Steve (who also supplied us with photos), the man on the bike is middle-aged, has white hair, a beard and a mustache. He was wearing a black and red jersey and shorts.

Steve last saw the man riding north on 185th toward West Union.

If you know anything about this incident or can identify the rider in the photo above please contact THPRD at (503) 645-6433.

We’ve contacted THPRD and will update this story as needed.

UPDATE, 12:53pm: THPRD Director of Communications Bob Wayt has confirmed the incident. Wayt told us via telephone a few minutes ago that the incident falls into something of a “grey area” and that the THPRD has no specific penalty for killing ducks. However, he did say that this duck is covered under the Federal Migratory Bird Act. “So,” he added, “if we had an ID of the person who killed it, and the Federal Government wanted to pursue it, they could.” Wayt added that his agency would like to hear the rider’s side of the story.

Wayt said that proper thing for the rider to do would have been to call the THPRD Park Patrol (971) 246-0169 to report the incident.

NOTE: This post was originally published with a blurry, grainy photo of the man who ran over the duck. After hearing from readers concerned that the person was being publicly shamed and the subject of a witch-hunt, I removed that photo.

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive. That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. If you see an inconsiderate or inappropriate comment, please contact us and we'll take a look at it right away. Thank you — Jonathan and Michael

• tedder April 6, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Supposing he hit it by accident, is that a crime? Would he be expected to call 911? I’m trying to put myself in that situation and figure out what the “right” thing to do is.

• Richard Masoner (@cyclelicious) April 6, 2015 at 12:50 pm

ORS 811.710 says a driver is required to stop after a collision with an animal, determine the animal’s condition and notify the animal’s owner, but that’s only for a “domestic animal,” i.e. a pet or livestock. I find nothing in Oregon law about hitting wildlife.

• jeg April 6, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I have bad memories from my childhood of parents hitting an animal and then protecting us kids by moving on and not checking. I’m so fucking glad it’s a law that one has to stop. I bet very very few people know it’s a law, either. As many might actually think it’s safer to just keep going, or be afraid they can’t render assistance or afford it, or deal with suit for killing an animal.

• Chris I April 6, 2015 at 1:52 pm

So many birds are killed by cars every day around the state. The fact that this law exists is laughable when you consider the carnage out there.

• jeg April 6, 2015 at 2:02 pm

What’s laughable is the lack of empathy toward a suffering animal you exhibit.

• Chris I April 6, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Animal cruelty is no laughing matter.

• Robert Getch April 6, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I laughed at this bad article.

• feerless_freek April 7, 2015 at 9:28 am

How cruel can they be? After all, they’re just animals- “cruelty” imparts to them a motivation that I’m just not sure is there.

• bobo April 10, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Ok so he could have stopped and snapped it’s neck, but what else could he have done? And besides, with a herd of duck-feeding idiots surrounding the casualty if he had stopped it could have gotten uglier.

• was carless April 6, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Cars kill, by one estimate, roughly 60 million birds/year in the USA. This pales in comparison to windows, which kill roughly a billion birds/year. And cats, which kill roughly 3.7 billion birds/year, in the USA.

• Mike April 7, 2015 at 8:53 am

Ban cats!

• Spiffy April 7, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Vision Zermeow!

• Paul Johnson April 7, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Domestic animal. Doesn’t apply to the wildlife.

• kiel johnson
    kiel johnson April 6, 2015 at 12:32 pm

if only that duck had sprayed herself with Volvo’s Lifepaint

• Patrick Croasdaile April 6, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Uh Kiel, I’m pretty sure that was a male duck.

• Lester Burnham April 6, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Now some poor ducklings are without a father. What a travesty.

• was carless April 6, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Unlikely, as its not mating season yet… this duck sadly was a loser of the Annual Waterfowl Darwin award.

• Buzz April 6, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Do hit and run laws apply to squirrels and other wildlife, too?

I’ve lost several pets to motor vehicles over the past 30 years and not one motorist stopped for any of them…

• Spiffy April 7, 2015 at 1:33 pm

they apply to your pets…

ORS 811.710 Failure to perform duties of driver when animal is injured

• John Liu
    John Liu April 6, 2015 at 12:48 pm

This seems like a belated April Fools post.

• meh April 6, 2015 at 12:57 pm

And in bad taste. Hit and run is a major issue, not a joke.

• Jon April 6, 2015 at 1:09 pm

The taste is only bad if you wait too long to eat it.

• Tim April 6, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I have had many a close call with squirrels. Especially in the spring crazy squirrel season that will soon be here. I always slow down in the high squirrel areas and ride carefully, but it is only a matter of time before some squirrel does a dive into the spokes.

I have also had close calls with a deer and a moose.

Was this rider callous or careful?

• Dan April 6, 2015 at 1:37 pm

If I hit a squirrel, who do I call? What if I eat a bug? Sometimes I run over fuzzy caterpillars on Kaiser.

• was carless April 6, 2015 at 12:57 pm

If anyone has been to area parks, some of the waterfowl are awfully dumb… some of them don’t even waddle away when off-leash dogs run after them.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) April 6, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Just added this update:

THPRD Director of Communications Bob Wayt has confirmed the incident. Wayt says the incident falls into something of a “grey area” and that the THPRD has no specific penalty for killing ducks. However, he did say that this duck is covered under the Federal Migratory Bird Act. “So,” he added, “if we had an ID of the person who killed it, and the Federal Government wanted to pursue it, they could.” Wayt added that his agency would like to hear the rider’s side of the story.

Wayt said that proper thing for the rider to do would have been to call the THPRD general main phone number to report the incident.

• J_R April 6, 2015 at 1:58 pm

If a bird hits the windshield of my car, who am I supposed to call? Does it depend on the jurisdiction of the road? State police? 911? US Department of ???? THPRD? Really?

• gutterbunnybikes April 6, 2015 at 4:11 pm

yeah, we all got that one on speed dial.

• Seager April 6, 2015 at 12:58 pm

This has to be april fools, right? Cars hit birds all the time. Maybe he should have told the city so they can clean it up, but assuming it was an accident this was not a crime. It sucks, but wasn’t a crime.

Do you know how many dead squirrels I see along the side of the road from cars? Are all those drivers wanted too?

• tedder April 6, 2015 at 1:04 pm

soooo, you’re supposed to call THPRD if you hit a bird. Is there a special number for hitting deer? squirrel? Maybe we need a big list of animals and their reporting numbers.

This is absurd. 911 would hang up on you for reporting this, and I’m not going to carry a directory of esoteric agency phone numbers.

If the animal was hurt? Yeah, I’m going to do all I can.

• Spiffy April 7, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I keep non-emergency police dispatch phone numbers in my phone for cities I bike through…

• Dave April 6, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Ten years ago……………….my wife and I are driving back from a bike ride that started and finished in Longview. I-5 near Kalama, everybody goes about 85 there. Pouring rain; shit visibility. Traffic slows down–so that a family of ducks could cross the freeway! Haven’t seen anything like it before or since!

• Kyle April 6, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Another story publicly shaming someone – with a photo and description – without the necessary facts. Was this an accident? If so, while I’m sad to see a duck has been killed, I don’t see why it’s such a big deal. The only thing left to do at this point is for park employees to remove the corpse to be properly buried somewhere. If the person involved did not want to call or wasn’t able to (and we don’t know if he was able to) then it sounds like there were plenty of other people around who could have done so.

Blindly posting someone’s photo and description on a prominent blog without all the facts and advocating for a witch hunt is very poor taste.

• meh April 6, 2015 at 1:36 pm

And for this blog somewhat SOP.

• Lester Burnham April 6, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I’m surprised the lycra haters haven’t appeared. They are right up there with the bike theft apologists.

• Pete April 6, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Something to be said for deep dish carbon… keeps feathers out of your spokes.

• Suburban April 6, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Who, but TT riders wears a Lycra jersey? IT looked like a rain jacket in the photograph.

• George H. April 6, 2015 at 1:46 pm

There’s one or two smears/witch hunts a year here. Last year it was the poor sap who was baselessly accused a swerving into an in-street protest, the year before that it was Krisapon Chaisawat and Chris Uehara.

Why all the outrage over a duck, I do not know. But I got a chuckle out of the update that this was a violation of the Federal Migratory Bird Act. They have top men working on it right now…

• invisiblebikes April 6, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Top… Men…!

• Spiffy April 7, 2015 at 1:40 pm

don’t forgot when BP smeared Bart Simon Paul… although they were later caught and arrested for doing exactly what they were smeared for…

does that mean it’s ok in hindsight?

• A.H. April 7, 2015 at 11:04 pm

You’d think some of the staff — the self-proclaimed journalist-activists, particularly — would take notice of how often they post the wrong person’s photo. Basic fact-checking isn’t thaaaaaat much to ask, folks.

• Granpa April 6, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Don’t call it an accident

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) April 6, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Kyle, Thanks for your concern.

I don’t think the photo or the description are that detailed at all. And even if it was an accident, the rider is not being blamed for anything. I don’t think this it rises to the level of “public shaming.”

And I am not advocating for a witch hunt. Not at all. Just urging folks to call if they know anything about the incident.

• George H. April 6, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Please stop with the passive-aggressive responses. You may not think it amounts to a public shaming, but many of your readers do and will.

• Kyle April 6, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I also don’t appreciate the prominent photo of the deceased duck that I now have to look at every time I visit this website. Again, poor taste. There are other more respectable ways to engage readers.

• Middle of the Road guy April 6, 2015 at 3:35 pm

**Portion of comment deleted because it wasn’t very nice.**

Seriously, a picture of a dead (non bloody) duck does that to you??

Man up.

• Middle of the Road guy April 6, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Sorry Maus!

• gutterbunnybikes April 6, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Only in bad taste if not cooked properly. Gotta make sure the seasonings just right.

• Dave April 7, 2015 at 8:04 am

Good with a fruit-based chutney or salsa, too.

• Alesa April 8, 2015 at 3:22 am

Well. First world problems.

• William Henterly April 7, 2015 at 8:04 am

Agreed. Jon Maus and his cronies seem to do that alot.

• Cheif April 6, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Brought to you by Portlandia and The Onion..

• velo April 6, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Maybe the punishment should be to make him read ‘Make Way for Ducklings’ everyday for the next year…

• El Biciclero April 6, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I loved that book when I was a kid! Where’s Officer Mike when you need him?

• Tim April 6, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Maybe he has been reading Make Way for Ducklings everyday for the last year and it wasn’t an accident. Parents of children of a certain age will understand.

• Rob April 6, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Ummmm, is this article serious? I’ve accidently killed birds, squirrels, snakes and many other critters over the years. I’ve never been happy about it, but I’ve also never stopped to call the authorities (I mean, is there really someone at THPRD who has the extra time to do anything about this? And if so, what would they do?)

• Chris I April 6, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I killed a crow on Burnside once. Some idiot was riding the wrong way in the bike lane, and we happened to pass it at about the same time. He spooked the crow, and it flew right into my front wheel as I passed by. Should I have stopped to initiate CPR?

• gutterbunnybikes April 6, 2015 at 4:15 pm

perhaps we need a helmet law for birds now too.

• Dan April 6, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Ban ducks from the trails.

• feerless_freek April 7, 2015 at 9:32 am

I first read that as “I killed a cow on Burnside once…” I thought “this guy is either funny or gangsta…”

• J_R April 6, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Several years ago, a bird hit me head on smack on the front of my helmet. Instantaneously dead. I picked up the bird and took it to work where I gave it to a coworker who helped at the animal rehab facility where he fed it to the hawks. At least that way, I figured something good happened from the bird’s demise.

Based on what’s reported in this story, I guess I should have called the accident reconstruction team. They could have closed off the street for a few hours to get all the measurements and try to reconstruct exactly what happened.

• tedder April 6, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Next, on CSI: Migratory Bird Team..

• jonno April 6, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Paging the Bike Snob, Mr. Snob your blog fodder is now ready at the front desk…

• RH April 6, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Oh man, I wonder if CNN/Yahoo/FOX News will pick up this story…..too funny.

• Dan April 6, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Thank goodness no beavers were harmed.

• Pat April 6, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Accidents happen, but I am certain the big deal is that the rider showed no sympathy to the folks who were clearly distressed – that alone was a reason to stop. Also hitting a duck and not stopping may have indicated excessive speed, which is another reason for bystanders to be distressed. Perhaps the unidentified rider and others who read this blog have learned something about being courteous.

• Kyle April 6, 2015 at 2:45 pm

“I am certain the big deal is that the rider showed no sympathy to the folks who were clearly distressed”

Source? Were you a witness?

• feerless_freek April 6, 2015 at 3:53 pm

If I had to stop for every distressed nitwit in this city I’d never get anywhere. Sure, it’s a bummer, but life goes on.

• Jon April 6, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I’m sure he was using Strava.
    On a more serious note, this smells a lot like a complaint by an anti-bike person who is looking for a reason to get bikes removed from a MUP. “I have friends who are bicyclists but….”

• feerless_freek April 6, 2015 at 3:55 pm

And this smells a lot like paranoia

• Spiffy April 7, 2015 at 1:43 pm

dead ducks start conversations…

• Chris April 6, 2015 at 2:39 pm

When I saw this on the front page I thought I was on Buzzfeed and laughed, then I got sad because I was realized I was on a site that is suppose to be about cycling news…

• Steve April 6, 2015 at 2:41 pm

George H.
    Recommended 10

Top Men …. meanwhile this duck’s corpse will be shipped off to some government warehouse in a crate.

• J_R April 6, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Benghazi! Who knew what, when?

• Dave McCabe April 6, 2015 at 2:54 pm

John, big fan of your work here, but I think you owe your readers an apology for this post.

The way that you chose to word and frame this story really does make it read like an farcical takedown of the killing of humans in traffic. This reads as mockery, even taunting, to those who have been in hit-and-runs or have lost people to collisions. Over three thousand people were killed by vehicles today, and no death of wildlife should be compared to that.

• Caleb April 7, 2015 at 7:38 am

Huh, that concept did not at all cross my mind until reading your comment. Perhaps those who see this story as callous satire read it with prejudice?

• Jim Labbe April 7, 2015 at 9:04 am

And yet there is a relationship between the reckless disregard some people have for wildlife and the reckless disregard for human life. These are not entirely different problems. They are in many ways the same problem. In many cases preventing behavior that intentionally and needlessly kills or injures wildlife is a step toward preventing behavior that needlessly injures or kills human beings.

• Jayson April 6, 2015 at 2:55 pm

That’s poor form. Only a regular jack*ss would do this.

• Todd Hudson April 6, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Remove the cyclist photo, keep up the dead duck photo. Makes sense to me!

• John Liu
    John Liu April 6, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Okay, it is unfortunate that a bike accidentally killed a duck – actually bikes don’t kill, people do, so let’s say it is unfortunate that a person accidentally killed a duck.

I don’t see any evidence that it was anything more than an accident. Even if he was wearing lycra. If the perpetrator were wearing camo and carrying a 12 gauge, then we might conclude differently.

Should the cyclist have reported the accident? It seems ridiculous to call 911 to report roadkill, and how could any average person know to call THPRD, what THPRD’s number is, or even what THPRD stands for? If the bystanders or the tipster knew the number, they could have called?

Of course, after reading this story, now I am better informed. I now know if I accidentally run over a duck, I will look up and call the THPRD “general number” to turn myself in for violation of the Federal Migratory Waterfowl Act and, potentially, some sort of adverse proceeding by the Federal Government.

• Tom April 6, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Here’s some facts:

Accidents with wildlife have a complex set of regulations governing them – what applies for birds may not apply for squirrels, coyotes, deer, etc. Regulations differ depending on management plans for that species, whether the species is native or not, etc.

Birds specifically are covered by the Migratory Bird Laws referenced above. In this case by the letter of the law the “killing” of the mallard is illegal, but it is not viewed that way by enforcement agencies. In such a case as this the only requirement is that the person report the accident/interaction, either to US Fish and Wildlife Service or Oregon State Police. It would only become illegal and enforceable if a person took the injured or dead wildlife into their possession for any reason, other than transporting the animal to a licensed rehab facility.

There is no requirement to stop, though it might be a good idea to see if the animal is injured and could be rehabbed.

If there is any doubt please call the Audubon Society of Portland’s Wildlife Care Center, which among other services provides advice and guidance to the public on wildlife interactions: 503-292-6855

• Kurt Griffith April 6, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Meanwhile out on Sauvies Island…

• Middle of the Road guy April 6, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Did the rider know he was supposed to call the Dead Duck hotline or is he ducking his responsibilities?

• Charles Ross April 6, 2015 at 3:44 pm

I just returned from a one month bicycle tour in Thailand. There, hundreds of thousands of animals are kicked to the curb ignored and left to survive on their own. Returning here and reading a newspaper article about a hit-n-run by a bicyclist on a duck strikes me as humorous. I’m sorry if that offends but it is just so incongruent that this accident could possibly be an issue that would rise to the level of being a topic of concern/interest not only on BikePortland but also the Oregonian.
    If this had happened in S.E. Asia some lucky diners would be enjoying duck pad Thai for their evening meal and . . . . that would be that!

• tedder April 6, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Charles- do you have a blog/etc on your bike tour? That sounds like a fun trip. I was just there doing a motorbike tour in the northern hills. And I totally agree with you, this is a first world problem.

• Charles Ross April 6, 2015 at 4:48 pm

No blog or journal, but if you are at all interested in some ideas for touring in Thailand I would be more than happy to share them with you. It was a first time tour for me. I only covered 750 miles in the entire month and slowed it all down considerably in the last couple of weeks: Bangkok down southeast to Kho Samet; bus back to Bangkok and then a ride from Bangkok – Kanchanaburi – Chumphon – Koh Tao – Koh Samui – flight back to Bangkok and then home after a few days. I would love to go again and perhaps start in the north, Chiang Mai and work my way southwest to Phuket/Krabi. I made many mistakes but I had a low bar for success: Hang on to my documents, my wallet, my bicycle (Trek 520) and don’t fall down! I achieved all those and am happy!
        Cost for everything, door to door? $2,500. I was thinking I might enjoy a backpacking trip but all the backpackers looked kind of miserable; some carrying both back and front packs. When I transported the bike it was always 60 Baht for me and 100 for the bike that just went into someone’s pocket. It was nice, tho, to enter a new place and be more mobile in finding a place to stay. I could cruise around and really size things up and that is a great advantage over a backpacking trip. Also, I’m 63 and can’t really see the whole backpacking thing happening for me again.
        Thailand is beautiful and I would visit again. Regards

• Jeff M April 6, 2015 at 3:56 pm

The Willamette Week picked up this story? Must be a slow day. I saw a dead squirrel on the road today. Maybe I should take some pictures and call the O.

• reader April 6, 2015 at 4:29 pm

The key question, which should always be answered before the snark commences, is was this intentional?

• Spiffy April 7, 2015 at 1:58 pm

the rider had something to fear that made them flee… the crowd? the fines? the lashing from his boss for being late?

I don’t see any reason to remain anonymous…

• JP April 6, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Assuming the staff and readers of Bike Portland are anywhere near the norm, 85% of you would happily eat this “little guy” at a restaurant, yet an accident resulting in his death is a Story?

• gutterbunnybikes April 6, 2015 at 7:05 pm

At a restaurant? Heck, if I was the rider I would’ve put it in my panniers and had it roasting over coals in no time.

bellyfill better than landfill.

• 9watts April 6, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Just think how many comments *that* version would have garnered if it were turned into a bikeportland story!

But I suppose if you eat it then it wouldn’t be a hit and run, but a … hit and eat?

• gutterbunnybikes April 6, 2015 at 9:19 pm

And they say bikes can’t good food at a drive thru….

• Psyfalcon April 6, 2015 at 4:39 pm

This is just stupid.

One duck gets run over by a bike and now BP and WW pick it up trying to figure out how its worse than when someone runs over a deer or squirrel. The Feds getting involved over a single dead duck of the most common species?

• Rob Chapman April 6, 2015 at 4:42 pm

The real tragedy here is wasting good food and fly tying material. It’s enough to give me the vapors.

• G April 6, 2015 at 4:44 pm

How is this a serious article? Roadkill happens, even to bikes. Who has actually pulled over after hitting a bird, squirrel, possum with a car and called the officials? Why waste enforcement dollar investigating an accidental collision with a duck? It’s a duck, for duck’s sake. Are we to put up a ghost duck in the park, or salvage the carcass for some artisan duck confit?

• JNE April 6, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Suggest the guilty rider (and other concerned lovers of waterfowl) join Ducks Unlimited, an organization that has conserved over 10 million acres of waterfowl habitat, since its inception in 1937. Alternatively, buy a federal duck stamp from the United Postal Service, the US Fish and Wildlife Service has used duck stamp revenues to purchase and preserve over 5 million acres of waterfowl habitat, since the passage of the federal Duck Stamp Act of 1934.

• Paul in the 'Couve April 6, 2015 at 7:25 pm

We are SO lucky that BikesnobNYC is on vacation this week…..

• Middle of the Road guy April 6, 2015 at 8:15 pm

And in the avian world, this duck just got a posthumous Darwin award.

All of his friends were probably like “Donnie got drunk again and wandered into traffic.”

• Peter W April 6, 2015 at 9:47 pm

If the report is true, a man hit a living creature yet cared so little about it that he didn’t stop for even a moment to see if anything could be done to prevent its death. Just left it for dead, and off he went.

The rider in this case sounds no different than a driver who hits a human and can’t be bothered to stop.

“Oh but it’s a Duck!” say the compassionless commenters on this BikePortland post; “Surely, every species must accept their sacrifice in exchange for the great honor of sharing this planet with the high and mighty Humans.” #speciesismisathing

I have seen plenty of people who accidentally hit a bird, dog, cat, or squirrel and have had the decency–the human decency–to stop to see if they could have helped. These were people driving on anything from neighborhood streets to arterials.

This man? This man was on a trafficless bike path. He could have stopped at least to see if aid could be rendered. Shame on him and shame on all the above commenters who belittled the situation; it’s pretty damn sick that people would laugh about the idea of a helpless creature suffering and left to die.

• Lester Burnham April 7, 2015 at 7:02 am

Perhaps this will open a honest dialog in the duck community about the importance of being visible and using marked, well-lit crossings?

• JNE April 7, 2015 at 8:06 am

Ducks lives matter.

• Eric April 7, 2015 at 12:20 pm

“the human decency–to stop to see if they could have helped”

What can you do to help a dead/dying duck? (besides wringing its neck to put it out of its misery). Feed it pain killers through an IV and give it a blanket? Offer some pieces of water soaked bread? Notify it’s relatives?
      I think I need to know these things because I frequently encounter water foul on the eastbank MUP and I believe I am a descent human.

• Mike April 8, 2015 at 4:49 am

It’s Turkey season here in NE. I just read your comment and now I’m headed out the door to kill a turkey…for my family’s table. Your comment is the biggest wussie comment I’ve ever seen.

• Drew April 6, 2015 at 9:56 pm

During bike tours, I have picked up lots of animals injured by motor vehicles and put them in shaded spots off the road. Most would die I suppose, but perhaps a few could recover by being in a safe spot in the shade. Once I found an injured salamander, put him in my bike bag in a wet cloth. Down the road, I let him off at the edge of a pond. I hope he lived

• Wes April 6, 2015 at 11:34 pm

I think the duck has to share at least some of the responsibility here.

• Lester Burnham April 7, 2015 at 6:57 am

That green mallard head is attractive to the females and all, but there is no substitute for neon safety green! Learn it. Know it. Live it.

• J_R April 7, 2015 at 9:13 am

Maybe if the duck had a license….

• J_R April 7, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Was the THPRD complicit in this incident/mishap/disaster/murder because of the lack of warning signs?

The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) has several possible livestock/wildlife warning signs specified in the “W11” series. They include deer, cows, bear, sheep, big horn sheep, etc. I believe the City of Eugene even installed duck crossing signs near the ponds frequented by ducks and geese.

See Section 2.C of the MUTCD for details on specifications and placement.

• Jay April 7, 2015 at 12:22 am

Road kill is not a crime. It’s a meal.

• Paul Johnson April 7, 2015 at 2:12 am

Nice to see that all crime in Metro has been solved and we have police time to burn on this. Would have been nice of them to let me know they found my truck or any of the other stuff stolen from me that I reported over the years.

• Dave April 7, 2015 at 7:35 am

Dan
    Thank goodness no beavers were harmed.
    Recommended 2

Maybe in Eugene this would have been, like, a felony?;)

• John Liu
    John Liu April 7, 2015 at 8:09 am

Eugene = ducks. Corvallis = beavers.

• SW April 7, 2015 at 8:40 am

take a peek out of your cocoon some times.

• SW April 7, 2015 at 8:53 am

>>Bike rider wanted for hit-and-run that left one duck dead <<

headline sounds like there is a APB on that rider. :)

• J April 7, 2015 at 9:11 am

Most of you eat animals every day so how should you be punished?

• Cheif April 7, 2015 at 10:37 am

5-10 minutes locked in a little room every morning, alone with nothing but our smart phones to amuse us seems a fitting penance.

• Rob Chapman April 7, 2015 at 11:37 am

If it’s hot out I’d say punish me with a Ruby Jewel root beer float.

• Tyler April 7, 2015 at 9:14 am

“Several people pleaded with the man to stop and report the incident to the Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District…”

Oh, for pete’s sake. Any of the bystanders could’ve reported the thing themselves, if they were concerned.

I don’t know anything about the particular situation but wildlife incidents with vehicles happen all of the time — especially motor vehicles, but sometimes bicycles — and the only duty of the vehicle operator is to report the incident, though my limited experience is that happens infrequently.

How many dead crows, raccoons, and squirrels do you ride past on the road every day? How many do you think were reported? Do we think that the duck is slightly more adorable than those creatures, and so more deserving?

Sad incident, but, game over.

People react unpredictably, and after tens of thousands of miles of commuting and riding, I’ve learned to be very, very cautious of putting myself in situations where I’m vulnerable.

• Yoyossarian April 7, 2015 at 11:11 am

“Also, regarding the rider stopping — neither I nor probably you were there, but, if I am in cycling kit, wearing cleats and lycra, I’m fairly unlikely to stop for people who appear angry.”

Exactly. I feel the same way when I’m in motoring kit and I feel obliged to stop to investigate an accident I may, or may not, have caused. Life is so tough.

• Paul Johnson April 7, 2015 at 11:30 am

Heck, I’m unlikely to stop for almost anything unless legally obligated to do so in the first place: I’ve got places to go, especially if I’m trying to get anywhere in a sprawling city as spread out and hilly as the Metro Region. Even if this means using a bell and an airhorn to part the crowd like a MAX engineer in Saturday Market.

• SW April 7, 2015 at 9:23 am

Geese are smarter .. http://www.wscribe.com/parables/goose.html
    (this was posted on many of the bulletin boards at Intel)

they make way for me to pass , tho I go slowly ..in case.

there are sometimes small flocks at the 205 MUP near Flavel & the creek.

• ME2 April 7, 2015 at 2:54 pm

That’s not necessarily true. I thought it was when I commuted in Wash, DC. because I kept seeing geese back down and give me the right of away. But one night I came across a flock where 4 of the 5 geese had crossed the trail. I was certain the 5th would yield, but I guess because of fear of separation it kept going and I didn’t stop. The end result was a bit comical as I ran over its butt. Not something I’d recommend though because geese have long necks and this fellow whipped it around so fast it nearly chomped a piece of my calf off.

• Mr Bicycle April 7, 2015 at 10:55 am

Too bad communities don’t react so aggressively when a human cyclists is hit and killed by people not paying attention in their cars.

• archer paradox April 7, 2015 at 11:13 am

Why aren’t people up in arms about tailpipe emissions. That is the real crime
    ..how how climate damage and brain damage done there? Maybe if more people bike, then the gov will build better infrastructure so things like this don’t happen

• Paul Johnson April 7, 2015 at 11:36 am

I think we need to look at the elephant in the room. Portland’s got hundreds of miles of feeder bike lanes into an overcongested, inadequate and woefully obsolete core cycleway system comprised entirely of MUPs. The 40 mile loop lacks any inward spokes and leaves out the entire westside. The best way from downtown to Washington County is still the shoulder of the Sunset Freeway. And everyone’s hung up on a single duck that ran into traffic.

Flyover, Nebrahoma’s got full two-lane cycleways with separate sidewalks, is starting to build out the feeder lanes and is already looking to the future when these will be upgraded to four lanes.

• Jeff M April 11, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Interesting. I’ve spent quite some time in Oklahoma visiting friends that live outside OKC and it seemed like a cycling nightmare. Haven’t been there in a year, but would be pleasantly surprised if anything significant has changed.

• Paul Johnson April 12, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Metro Oklahoma City’s kind of a different critter, operating more like Oklahoma’s largest small town (and in many ways, acts like a smaller town than Muskogee of the Merle Haggard song) than Oklahoma’s largest metro (Tulsa acts more like that). OKC’s a pain in the butt to get around in by any mode because the city’s largely laid out relative to US Historic/USBR 66, the interstates were shoehorned in wherever they could fit ’em, there’s less mass transit than Tulsa, and it’s as spread out as Portland. So it’s not just cyclists who find it hard to get around in Oklahoma City, everyone’s stuck sucking fumes and fuming at each other in traffic there. I wouldn’t ride in Oklahoma City if I don’t have to for most of the same reasons I wouldn’t ride in Portland again (well, except Portland makes up for having mass transit and bike lanes take some of the pressure off the highways by having impatient and angry people who aren’t afraid to throw things at each other in traffic).

The flagship tour routes like US 66 and US 412 tend to be fairly bike-friendly, as are almost all the small towns (by virtue of size), and almost anywhere in the state’s friendlier and easier to drive or bike than OKC. Moderately sized cities like Muskogee and Ponca City have relatively well developed (if not occasionally incoherent) cycleway networks (and in Ponca’s case, it’s usually a nonissue since most people walk since sidewalks go everywhere and it only takes about 45 minutes to walk from one end of the city to the other)

• rachel b April 7, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Poor mallard. :(

• Kathleen F. April 7, 2015 at 12:58 pm

This would make great material for Portlandia…..

• Eric April 7, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I already Emailed it to them.

Kathleen F.
    This would make great material for Portlandia…..
    Recommended 2

• repentant biker April 7, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Well isnt this special… Here is my side. I was riding my bike on the bike trail. There was a lot of foot traffic on the path. There was a group of people feeding the ducks. As I approached I was riding slowly when all of a sudden one of the people feeding the ducks dropped food in the middle of the path and directly in my cycling path. I was avoiding people bikers and walkers. The duck lunged for the peice of doof and its neck came directly under my tire. It was accidental and definitely not intentional. The immediate reaction from those around was one of incredulous indignation. I chose to avoid the confrontation not knowing what the reult would be. My heart was broken that I had run over the duck. I was certain that death was immediate because its neck went directly under mty tire so I am sure it had not suffered. I am truly sorry for the loss of the duck and had I known of any requirement to stop I would have done so. As far as I know there was no requirement by law and the people fdeeding the ducks that caiused the duck to run in my path are as much of not more to blame than I. Peace to you all and I trust you will take as much concern about how the chickens are treated that supply your eggs and the chicken (or any animal in a corprate farm) for your meal as you were about this poor duck that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Again… I am sincerely sorry for the duck… but feel much more pain over the chickens cows and hogs that populate your dinner table than I am about this unfortunate duck who was being fed human food. In addition, I have been hit twice on my biciycle and NO ONE expressed nearly this much outrage much less a dedicated story on a cycling site and oregon live. Peace out. Look for me on the trails because I will be there and have nothing to hide. TY

• sgz April 7, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I had no idea this nontroversy could get even more pretentious but once again Portland has outdone itself. Wonderful job everyone. We did it, with this reply we’ve created the stupidest thing.

• repentant biker April 7, 2015 at 3:11 pm

You are correct. I apologize. I should have given my side , apologized and left it at that.

• Paul Johnson April 7, 2015 at 3:35 pm

I’m on your side. Sounds like it went down pretty much the way I expected. Idiots feeding the wildlife (which is illegal) and waterfowl that have been habituated to people did themselves in. Need help moving? It’s a lot nicer living someplace where folks have their heads on their shoulders looking forwards instead of on their hips looking inwards, especially if you haven’t done it before…

• Pete April 8, 2015 at 10:02 am

Given all the hubbub this has caused, I think this deserves to be COTW.

• BikerChick April 10, 2015 at 1:20 pm

I thought Californians had misplaced priorities. I think Oregon has got us officially beat with this story. People that ride bikes are hit by people that drive cars, and barely anyone raises a flag in indignation. But, oh man, kill wildlife, because of someone else’s stupidity, and you are the very definition of evil. I wouldn’t have hung around either to find out what the angry mob would have done.

• Pete April 10, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Californians have entitlement, but Portland makes Berkeley look right wing!

• Paul Johnson April 11, 2015 at 11:14 am

That’s actually really funny… I thought rampant racism, homophobia and xenophobia were normal in the US, and then I stopped living on the west coast and moved to Oklahoma. Turns out, no, not everywhere has a majority of people that are hypocritically backwards and right wing, it’s just western Oregon.

• Caleb April 10, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I have no doubt anyone expressing indignation in this thread would also express such a sentiment were someone to run over a bicycle rider and drive away. After all, that sort of thing generally happens when this site covers hit-and-runs. For that reason, I don’t think one can logically conclude by looking at this thread that Oregonians have more or less misplaced values than Californians. I imagine every state contains many people who don’t think twice about bicycle riders dying beneath automobiles.

• soren April 10, 2015 at 6:16 pm

“but feel much more pain over the chickens cows and hogs that populate your dinner table than I am about this unfortunate duck”

+~33,000,000 and +~112,000,000

• Spiffy April 7, 2015 at 2:17 pm

most of you seem to be ignoring that this happened in a county park known for wildlife viewing…

if you accidentally run over and kill and bird on the highway you know it’s likely nothing special…

if you accidentally close the door on a bird and kill it in the aviary at the zoo then you know it’s a problem…

likewise if you’re in a wildlife park and you kill any of the wildlife you should know instantly that it isn’t just normal road-kill…

as for not knowing who to call, that’s BS… there are signs at the entrance to every MUP stating that it’s THPRD land and their phone number…

as for not stopping, that’s excusable considering the angry mob that could have been amassing… however, you should call once you’re at a safe location…

the way I see it this hit-and-run is inexcusable… but at least forgivable…

• Pete April 8, 2015 at 9:50 am

Maybe the cyclist thought it unsafe to stop for the “angry mob amassing”?

• JNE April 9, 2015 at 9:32 am

Inexcusable?

So . . . if you are ever in the vicinity of any animal that might fling itself in front of your bike . . . you should stop riding?

That can’t be right.

I guess you mean the inexcusable thing is the “run” part of the hit and run.

Next question, is the life of an insect any less valuable than that of a bird, rodent, reptile, etc.? Is there a moral imperative to stop any time we kill any animal in our path? There are people in this world that do avoid taking any animal life (plants of course are fair game for merciless, wholesale slaughter).

As a practical matter, I say we draw the line at humans, pets, livestock, and ungulates (deer, elk, etc.). If you hit one of those, stop and call. If you hit anything else, keep rolling!

• Spiffy April 10, 2015 at 3:18 pm

“I guess you mean the inexcusable thing is the “run” part of the hit and run.”

I mean the hit-and-run part of hit-and-run…

“Wonder what it would cost us in time and money if every driver and every cyclist should stop at the scene of any roadkill incident and summon a public employee of an appropriate agency to the scene.”

• bobo April 10, 2015 at 1:05 pm

What are people doing feeding wildlife in a wildlife sanctuary in the first place?

• Hijo dela Chingada April 7, 2015 at 2:39 pm

“According to Steve (who also supplied us with photos), the man on the bike is middle-aged, has white hair, a beard and a mustache. He was wearing a black and red jersey and shorts.”

Somewhat vague description … perhaps some things are to be assumed?

• repentant biker April 7, 2015 at 2:53 pm

OK everyone… let me be perfectly clear here…. It was an accident…. I am sorry… I have called THPRD… and in retrospect it is what I should have done Saturday… Didnt think of it and didnt know I should have.

• Eric April 8, 2015 at 12:49 pm

TY, We get it. It was an accident. S%*#T happens. No hard feelings. Some people on here are just being ridiculous (the ones attempting to elevate this to a shaming witch hunt anyway). If I were you, I would get on my bike and go for ride and never visit this post again. Cheers.

PS: I also have to thank you for providing the means for this post. I have not laughed so hard at some of these comments in a long time! Pure entertainment.

• Spiffy April 10, 2015 at 3:33 pm

thanks for coming by to let everybody know that it was accidental, as most had assumed…

• Wes April 7, 2015 at 5:10 pm

I remember when this blog reported things that actually mattered.

• SW April 7, 2015 at 6:25 pm

well JM pulling the riders pic really didn’t accomplish much when WW had already picked up and re-posted it ?

also…their headline “Bike Community Rallies to Catch Alleged Bethany Lake Duck Killer” didn’t really ring very true either. :(

• Big Knobby Ones April 7, 2015 at 10:08 pm

So we’re advocating calling the feds on a man for accidently hitting a duck while riding a bike? Do you want him to go to jail? Do you want his life to be ruined for having an accident? I remember not long ago on this website comments saying a person who threw bricks at a cyclist should not have his life ruined by the incident yet we want the feds to go after someone for this accident. Pathetic.
    Hitting the duck must have been a microagression against someone:

• Dave April 8, 2015 at 7:36 am

The word “microagression” always gives me a mental picture of an all-midget heavy metal band. Gonna have Motorhead and Blue Cheer songs on the brain for awhile after writing this……………..

• Spiffy April 10, 2015 at 3:31 pm

“So we’re advocating calling the feds on a man for accidently hitting a duck while riding a bike?”

we’re advocating calling the parks department when you injure an animal in a park designed for wildlife…

• Mike April 8, 2015 at 4:45 am

Dear God, is the article serious?! The individual was suppose to stop and some how render aid and make a phone call for the duck? This is way too funny…if it wasn’t serious. As a dedicated cycles here in the upper Mid-West we call that road kill and too bad so sad. “Several people tried to get him to stop and call.” Oh my god, this makes PDX sound like a bunch of wussies. It’s a duck!!

• SW April 8, 2015 at 6:23 pm

here is a timely article in the new BICYCLING mag , that researches the situation better than BP did.

What to Do If You Hit a Wild Animal With Your Bike

• grumpcyclist April 8, 2015 at 9:40 pm

A.H.
    Recommended 0

He doesn’t need to check facts because he goes with his gut. If he thinks the person who sent him the picture is honest and his gut tells him it’s a smart move then he’ll post away, and when he’s called out says, “we’re not a newspaper! I’m an activist *and* a journalist, so I don’t need to have standards!”

• tooter turtle April 9, 2015 at 10:29 am

Riding at night in Chicago, I frequently see rats crossing the streets. One night quite a large one suddenly ran across my path. I tried evasive maneuvering (honest!), but in spite of that, the front wheel of my bike ran over his/her tail. He/she kept running at about the same speed, and didn’t complain, so I didn’t stop.

• Tyson White April 9, 2015 at 10:38 am

We should run a story like this every time a motorist kills a bird and leaves the scene.

• Chad April 10, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Won’t someone please think of the squirrels?!

• Lizzy April 13, 2015 at 4:29 am

The rider that ran down the duck and kept going had no compassion for life. He should be publicly shamed. It shows a cold callousness. We should not condone it in any way.

• podker April 13, 2015 at 10:50 am

¿que? You can’t be serious. It was an accident caused by folks ignoring the do not feed signs regarding ducks and wildlife. Should a driver in a wildlife park report every worm or migrating banana slug it runs over too. Seriously? Hardly the same as a motorist mowing down deer and elk with careless driving. Nothing callous about it. The callous group of folks feeding ducks (not a condoned practice and forbidden in most parks etc) and throwing food in front of the cycist was the proximate cause not inattention or callousness on his park.

• Joe April 13, 2015 at 7:59 am

Thank you so much for this article and comments. I now have something that will make me laugh for the rest of my life!

• Skip April 14, 2015 at 9:21 am

To everyone that is concerned about Mr. Duck. I knew Mr. Duck and we had long conversations about life and death. He was very depressed and was seeing a doctor that later we found out to be a quack. With this I will say that I think that Mr. Duck committed suicide and the cyclist was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Knowing Mr. Duck as I did I am sure he would want to be remembered as someone that was good with the chicks.
    RIP my friend Mr. Mallard Duck 2010 -2015

• Pete April 14, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Yeah, last I saw him he was a little down.

• Bike Boy Bob April 15, 2015 at 6:23 am

After some thought I may have changed my position on this issue!

I now feel that we need to have the police on the trail and conduct road blocks. This may not be convenient but if we want to get this killer off the trails it must be done. Bikers should all be stopped, identified, pictures of there bike taken, DNA swabs done of there tires and rims, and tire cast made. The tire cast may be helpful to determine what tire was used to kill the innocent duck in his natural habitat.