Coventry Cycle Works owner Marilyn Hayward badly injured in collision – UPDATED

Posted by on August 6th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Marilyn at Cycle Oregon 2006.
(Photo © J. Maus/BikePortland)

Marilyn Hayward, owner of Coventry Cycle Works in Southeast Portland, is in the Intensive Care Unit at Legacy Hospital in Portland today following a collision she was involved in while bicycling in Cornelius this morning.

According to The Oregonian, the collision happened around 10:00 am at the intersection of N. Adair and 10th (about 24 miles west of downtown Portland). They are reporting that a preliminary investigation showed that Hayward was bicycling west on Adair and the person operating the Prius was driving south on 10th.

A Cornelius fire department spokesman told The Oregonian that Hayward was unconscious when they arrived.

I have been contacted by Andy Pollack, a professional acquaintance of Marilyn’s who is acting as her public advocate at this time. Pollack told me a few minutes ago that Marilyn is still in the ICU with serious head trauma. He also added that the police have not been able to track down any close friends or relatives of Marilyn’s and — depending on how her condition changes — they will need someone to make decisions on her behalf. If you are a close friend of her and/or know people who are, please contact Mr. Pollack at (503) 473-8180. (UPDATE: Marilyn is now being supported by many friends and family members. Thank you. Stay tuned for more updates — See below.)

The Prius.
(Photo: Cornelius Fire Dept.)

This is such sad news. Marilyn is a very outgoing advocate for bicycling and for safety. I’ve known her for years and she is always so supportive of BikePortland and has plenty of smiles and good vibes to share. Marilyn survived a bout with cancer in 2005 and credited bicycling with helping to save her life. She’s known to many by her nickname of “Tweety,” and has logged many thousands of miles throughout Oregon on her Bachetta recumbent. In 2009, she took over ownership of Coventry Cycle Works, a shop we profiled (along with Marilyn) back in 2010. In 2011, Marilyn joined a team of advocates from Oregon at the National Bike Summit and she has completed the week-long Cycle Oregon ride many times.

Please think good thoughts and please contact Mr. Pollack at (503) 473-8180 if you can help lead the police to her closest friends and/or family members.

UPDATE: 8/7, 12:10 pm: Marilyn’s advocate, Andrew Pollack, just posted the comment below:

“I just spoke to the ICU East Head Trauma unit at Legacy Emmanual. Marilyn will be discharged to a floor unit in the hospital for further recovery today or early tomorrow. It’s too early to know if there is any brain injury, but moving to a less intensive unit is a very good sign.

I was able to locate her petsitter, so her birds will be taken care of while she is in the hospital.

Her employees at her bike shop are all informed on the situation and will hold the business together.

Marilyn is surrounded by a wonderful group of people who are supporting both her recovery and her bike shop.

Marilyn’s ICU nurse said you can now send cards and flowers. The address is
Legacy Emmanual Hospital
2801 N. Gantenbein
Attn: Marilyn Hayward

I’m grateful how quickly people have come together to support Marilyn.”

Comments
  • Gerik August 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

This is terrible news. Marilyn is a true community leader and a great person. I hope she has a full and fast recovery.

• Tomas Quinones August 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Saddened and hope she pulls through. She’s always been very encouraging whenever I visited the shop.

• Caroline August 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Really terrible news. I met Marilyn a couple years ago at an all women’s bike event. She was outgoing and introduced herself to me and told me the mind-blowing story about how she fell in love with recumbents, and why. That is a story about how incredibly strong and determined she is, but it was also obvious talking to her how gentle, sincere, and compassionate she is. I’m rooting for her.

She cannot take visitors in the ICU (except for a spokesperson and close family when they are located) but there isn’t any harm in sending goodies to the ICU nurses at Legacy to make sure they know Marilyn is a VIP.

Jonathan is she at St. Vincents or Emanuel (Emanuel has two ICUs)?

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) August 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm

she’s in the ICU East Head Trauma unit at Emanuel Legacy

• Caroline August 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Oh dear. Definitely no visitors (want to keep things calm and quiet as possible for head injured patients) but I’ll bring those ICU East nurses treats and hope she gets transferred to TRACU sooooooon.

• Carolyn Devine August 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I like the idea of gifts for the nursing staff- can I chip in?

• Tim Leier August 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Everyone at Vestas is pulling for you Marilyn.

• whyat August 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm

This is beyond awful. Marilyn is such a cool woman who loves biking, recumbent bikes, her shop, and Portland. She was such an asset to me when I got my Bacchetta. All good thoughts her way.

• Patty Freeman August 6, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Contacted my friends in the recumbent community to try to find close friends or family. So very sad. Thank you for informing the community, Jonathan!

• q`Tzal August 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm

No mention of the word “helmet” in the O article … amazing!

I’m also noticing a distinct lack of “recumbent” here and there.

• Brian Willson August 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I am sickened to hear this news. I have an appointment at Coventry Cycle tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this sad news since it is important for the cycling community to strengthen our solidarity with one another. I am sure hoping like the rest that she pulls through. I also am a survivor of severe skull and brain injuries. Fingers crossed.

• Ben August 6, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Marilyn! You’ve always been a great voice for cycling and so friendly and enthusiastic.

• Ian Hoffman August 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Seeing this I just called Lonnie Morse, a close friend of Marilyn’s. He tells me that many of her close cycling friends are gathered at the hospital (many of the OHPV folks). Its too soon to say all is well, but that they just did get some good news from the doctors.

They are working on tracking down family, and also tracking down the guys that work at Coventry (its a normal day off for the shop) to let them know and see if they have any family info.

• WeKneeDragger August 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Marilyn you are such a sweet lady. I will never forget the time you helped me out on some questions I had on my Bacchetta. You were totally out of it with the flu but you still got out of bed and found information and emailed me the info.
    Hang tough for a speedy recovery

• Barbara Kilts August 6, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Just saw Marilyn yesterday in all her infectious enthusiasm. She’s tough, but she’ll need all of us pulling for her. Speedy and steady recovery, Tweety!

• Christa August 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm

She is a wonderful woman. Prayers coming that way

• Paul Riggs August 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Please get well soon !!

I hope you have a speedy recovery !!

• Gerry Elam in PHX August 6, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Prayers sent for Marilyn…..

• bArbaroo August 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Get well soon Marilyn, Portland loves you!

• Hart Noecker August 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Heard that Marilyn has regained consciousness for a few moments and has been able to respond to questions by nodding. That, hopefully, is a good sign.

• Jeff Wills August 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I work at Emanuel Hospital. For professional reasons I can’t comment on her condition, but she will get the best of care. The OHPV gang is spreading the word about Marilyn’s accident, taking care of her as she’s taken care of us in the past.

Speedy recovery, Tweety!

• Jeff Wills August 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Caroline
    Jonathan is she at St. Vincents or Emanuel (Emanuel has two ICUs)?
    Recommended 2

FWIW, Caroline- Emanuel has 3 adult ICU’s (4 if you count the Oregon Burn Center) and 2 pediatric ICU’s in the Randall Children’s Hospital. My duties in the inpatient pharmacy take me to all of them.

• Bill Stites August 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm

So sorry to hear about this – just awful news. Marilyn is so gracious and giving … and yes, tough as nails.
    Prayers and well-wishes for a speedy recovery, Tweety. We love you!

• Cornell Wynnobel August 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Sending out all of our mental energy to help her recover. She is a tough and beautiful lady, as well as being a fighter. Get well soon!

• Scott McElhiney August 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I only know Marilyn from visiting her shop and riding with her while down in Portland from Tacoma for the Human Power Challenge each year at PIR. Best wishes sent for a speedy recovery Tweety!

• Tommy August 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Christa
    She is a wonderful woman. Prayers coming that way
    Recommended 3

Sending prayers her way too, for her and her family, she sounds like a wonderful woman.

• Janet Hargis August 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Oh Marilyn, I am heart sick at the news. You have helped so many of us get back into cycling. Praying for you Tweety.

• Daniel Peper August 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm

My thoughts and prayers go to Marilyn, and all her family of friends. I suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident in 1986. Was in a coma for 8 days, and spent a total of 100 days learning to walk, talk, work and live again. Thanks to the prayers, and loving visits of family and friends, and the dedicated service of doctors, and nurses, I made more than a complete recovery.
    Will keep Marilyn in my thoughts and prayers.
    A dedicated triker,
    UncleD

• K'Tesh August 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Marilyn, you’re in my prayers… Heal quickly!

• James Patrin August 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Marilyn, so sorry to hear this…best wishes to you and your family…

• Douglas Bullard August 6, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I’ve been dealing with Coventry Cycle Works and Marilyn since I switched to recumbents in 2008 – they’ve always been a great bunch to talk to, and much of that comes from Marilyn. I won a bike in a raffle earlier this year, and Marilyn took great delight in calling me from Florida to tell me of the news.

Stuff like this is why I have a helmet camera when I ride. In fact, I had a conversation with Marilyn about that a few weeks ago.

Best wishes for a speedy (and complete!) recovery.

• Gregg Berkholtz August 7, 2012 at 1:02 am

I’m just tuning in too…wow. Marilyn is such a wonderful and giving person. Best wishes to Tweety!

• Tyler w August 7, 2012 at 3:17 am

Best wishes!

• Susan Otcenas August 7, 2012 at 7:12 am

Marilyn is a fighter. I admire her strength and spirit, and I believe that strong will will pull her through.

She has many deep friendships in the OHPV community (several of whom are medical professionals) and beyond and all will be there for her during her recovery.

• Roger August 7, 2012 at 9:33 am

Marilyn,

Very sorry to hear this tragic news. Please stay stay strong and heal soon…

• Justin August 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

This just makes me feel sick all over… Marilyn (Tweety to the recumbent community) was a monster advocate of cycling… in ALL its forms. She was extremely visible with Dinotte lights on both the front and rear, as well as had reflective tape/clothing on at all times while riding. She would never have gotten on a bike without a helmet…

A true tragedy, and I am praying for her…

• Ed Dalton August 7, 2012 at 10:54 am

Marilyn,
    Awful news and so very sorry to hear of your accident. Our thoughts and best wishes go out to you for a speedy recovery.

• Andy Pollack August 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

Marilyn’s ICU nurse said you can now send cards and flowers. The address is
    Legacy Emmanual Hospital
    2801 N. Gantenbein
    Attn: Marilyn Hayward

I’m grateful how quickly people have come together to support Marilyn.

• Deanna August 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Best to her on her recovery. I am saddened and originally heard about this through Terra Trike which goes back to my University of Michigan boyfriend who founded that company. It was posted on their FB as well. Bike peeps around the country are touched and know she is in their prayers.

• EZ Biker August 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Tweety, your world wide bent Family is backing you 100%! Please recover soon and know we will be with you every step of the way, NOW and beyond!!!

• matt picio August 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Best wishes, Marilyn! Hope you have a quick and full recovery. I really appreciate how welcome you make everyone feel who comes into the shop, and hope you can be back there and on the bike again soon!

• Paul Gagnon August 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

As part of the recumbent family of SW Florida,I reach out to Marilyn her friends ,family,and business associates-hope and pray you have a successful and speedy recovery.No matter what I encourage all cycling enthusiasts with my daily mantra–everyday is a good day to ride a bent.

• Mike Kring August 7, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Prayers for Marilyn. She always has been able to persevere while I answered the call of bed during Sebring. Keep pushing through Marilyn. .

• John Cotton August 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with Marilyn for a full and speedy recovery. Hope to meet her some day either over there in her store or on a ride or down here in South Florida.

• Jim Pedersen August 7, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Our thoughts and prayers are with Marilyn. She has overcome so much in her life…Speedy recovery, Tweety!

• Tad Beckwith August 7, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Marilyn, your friends at EcoSpeed are pitching in our prayers too! Lots of love surrounding you right now!!!

• Anders Svärd Hendren Løberg August 8, 2012 at 8:47 am

All the best for a good recovery for Marilyn!!!

• the "other" steph August 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

Oh, Marilyn! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I first met her at OHPV a few years ago, and she told me about the most recent time she had qualified for RAAM (Whoa!). A terrible thing to happen to an awesome Lady. Thoughts are with her.

• andysinak August 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Tweety, I’m very saddened to hear of your incident. Get well quick.
    Tailwinds,
    andy

• Brian Willson August 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

An Oregonian reporter told me today (Aug 8) that though Marilyn is out of intensive care unit, the hospital spokesperson said she is “in serious condition,” self aware but “confused.”

• Aaron August 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm

We our very sad to hear about Marilyn’s accident. We’ve been lucky enough to get to know Marilyn over the years. She is an extremely genuine person and a huge asset to the local bicycle community. Marilyn, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Get well soon!

• Hazel White August 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I think someone who knows her should print out this list of comments to give to her when she is able to appreciate them.

• Jeff Wills August 8, 2012 at 5:44 pm

This update was posted to Marilyn’s Facebook page:

She’s starting to eat and Lonnie is going to tempt her with a chocolate shake later today. Big smiles for everyone, brIngs tears of joy to see her doing so well. Her speech is pretty basic but improving. Same visiting policy. She has a great room – looks out to the children’s garden and already flowers and cards are arriving. Thanks everyone. When she wakes up from her nap, we will start reading all the messages from everyone – may take a few days to get through them all.

• Jim Snider August 9, 2012 at 3:09 am

As a bike shop owner, I know you have made a difference and are a good example to many people. Good luck in your healing and recovery!

• Shelley Patterson August 9, 2012 at 8:18 am

I’m so happy to read that Marilyn is out of ICU. She is such a nice person. I was lucky to meet her at Recumbent Cycle-Con last year and she was very supportive of my Adaptive Cycling Roundtable and our efforts to make cycling accessible to everyone. It seems that so many people love and respect her. Best wishes for a full recovery Marilyn! Shelley at Buddy Bike

• Dave Thomson August 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

I only met Marilyn once, but the great folks at her shop all reflect the caring person I see in these comments. Get well soon Marilyn.

• Mark Petrich August 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

I wish Marilyn a speedy recovery. She is one of the most kind people I have met and I hope her good karma helps her recovery as quickly and completely as possible.

• Patty August 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Marilyn, I was shocked to read you were in a bike accident and seriously injured. You and your staff were instrumental in getting me riding after my disability. I ride a recumbent trike and we were all so emotional the day at your shop when I could once again feel the wind on my face. My partner and I send healing energy to you. With love.

• EricT August 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

I only met Marilyn a few times, but I can tell shes a pretty great lady. Sad to hear this happened but I’m happy things are looking up.

• Patty Freeman August 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Marilyn,
    Andrew Black and I have been following your story with great concern and affection. You rescued me when I was desperate for help packing my new Bike Friday – you were so sweet and encouraging about it! It is clear you are well-loved and many people in the community are rooting for you and your recovery. Know that Andrew and I are among your fans, believing in you and your amazing spirit.
    Patty