People on Bikes: Eastbank Esplanade

Posted by on January 30th, 2012 at 11:15 am

For the latest installment of our People on Bikes series, Will Vanlue headed out to the Eastbank Esplanade to catch some evening commuters enjoying a bit of winter sunshine.

The photos were taken near the Hawthorne Bridge between 4:00 and 5:00 o’clock this past Friday. For those of you not familiar with Portland, the Esplanade is a multi-use path (MUP) not open to cars or other motorized vehicles. Check the images from the shoot below…

— Browse more People on Bikes in the archives.

Comments
  • 9watts January 30, 2012 at 11:21 am

Fun!
    A pretty high proportion of single speeds.
    And #4 makes my abdomen hurt.

• Michael P. January 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing on #4. I bet his knees are hurting too. Looks like a lot of people are training for next season with all the Single Speeds

• SilkySlim January 30, 2012 at 11:26 am

I love these.

• Patty January 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

Nice. Surprised it is such a preponderance of men.

• Randall S. January 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

You shouldn’t be. Between 70 and 80 percent of cyclists in Portland are male (which is typical in the US, although not the case in other countries).

• spare_wheel January 30, 2012 at 11:57 am

Loving the lycra!

• Allan January 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I’ve been noticing people riding outside my house on the Klickitat Bike boulevard more because of these segments. Its like my own personal ‘people on bikes’ right out my window!

• Alain January 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Two things:

(1) Lots of bikes without fenders? This is PDX folks!

(2) Lots of bike frames designed without good fender clearance. What is the bike industry thinking? A good utility bike starts with good fender clearance, unless of course you like to wear the road.

• A.K. January 30, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Not everyone wants fenders or a utility bike…

• 9watts January 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm

“Not everyone wants fenders or a utility bike…”

Obviously. But one has to wonder why they would limit themselves so?
        - ride only in fair weather or
        - cover yourself in/chew on muddy rivulets

• A.K. January 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I dunno, maybe they own more than one bike or didn’t feel like shlepping around on their “utility bike” on a nice day?

• Spiffy January 30, 2012 at 1:24 pm

there wasn’t a lot of rain on Friday…

• Indy January 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I have fenders, been too lazy to put them on. They typically rattle or something goes wrong with them to make them a hassle also.

They don’t 100% prevent having to wipe off my face, so I stopped bothering. As for the seat of my ski-pants, those I don’t wear anyway at work so stopped caring about how much they got caked.

In short: Unless someone else wants to put on the fenders for me, off they remain.

• Eric January 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm

At first I didn’t believe it was actually Portland because everybody was wearing a helmet.

Then I saw #6…that dude on the trials bike with the 3″ tires regularly smokes me going south on Terwilliger…I’m no superstar, but he’s a machine.

• Will Vanlue (Staff Writer) January 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm

And boy, was he going fast too! He was probably one of the five fastest people I saw pass on their bikes.

• Schrauf January 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm

It was sunny and 40 degrees at 4 pm on Friday. Apparently some of these people thought it was about 20 degrees.

Sorry. Just being sassy. People can wear whatever they damn well please. =)

• 9watts January 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Maybe it was 20 degrees where they started?

• Ely January 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Easier to wear it than carry it. :) Not gonna leave it at work, might need it tomorrow! :D

• scaryseth January 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Always entertaining. It is people watching from my desk.

• Demian Ebert January 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hey! That’s ME (#10). How do I get a copy of the photo?

• PDXOutdoors January 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Wow, this confirms what I see SO much around town.
    1 – Most people ride with their saddle WAY too low. Bad for your knees, bad for efficiency.
    2 – LOTS of under-inflated tires. I wonder how many pinch-flats there are a week in Portland…

• Max Rockbin January 30, 2012 at 3:53 pm

It’d be neat to see a comment under each photo on the fit of the bike – by someone who knows about that stuff.

• Erik M. January 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm

#17 – I need education…why is the chain ring on the opposite side from normal?

#24 – Nice! I dig the Blue anodize theme you have going on.

• OnTheRoad January 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm

# 17 — Maybe image got flipped?

• A.K. January 30, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Flipping the image wouldn’t make the ring appear to be mounted on the wrong side, it would just make the guy look like he was biking the other direction.

With a fixie, you could probably tap out the BB and install the crank on the “wrong” side, and have a custom wheel dished to the “wrong” side. I’m no mechanic but it seems possible to me.

• OnTheRoad January 31, 2012 at 8:06 am

If you flip the image, it would look like the chainring was on the right side of the bike. Try it.

• A.K. January 31, 2012 at 8:22 am

Ah! Weird. Maybe Will can shed some light on this mystery?

• thefuture January 31, 2012 at 8:29 am

Maybe he’s British.

• A.K. January 31, 2012 at 11:58 am

It would be easy to tell if we could just get a look at his teeth…

• OnTheRoad January 31, 2012 at 1:02 pm

If the pic was a little higher res, we could see if the lettering on the guy’s helmet was backwards or not.

• basketlover February 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Two piece cranks can go left or right. Three piece square taper cranks can be left or right. The pedal threading could be a small issue if you seize a pedal.

Fixed hubs with tabbed sprockets and lock rings can be left or right. Freestyle BMX has left and right hub cassette drivers as well a left side drive specific cranks.

The dude is being different because he can.

• was carless January 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Man, I went biking today wearing pants and a t-shirt. Whats with all the cyclists geared up for monsoon season?

• spare_wheel January 31, 2012 at 8:52 am

i dress that way largely to irritate other cyclists. i wouldd much rather wear $200 houndstooth woolen chappies but one must make sacrifices for a political statement.

• Eric January 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Will Vanlue (Staff Writer)
    Recommended 0

And…as if he was reading this and waiting for his chance… he blew by me again tonight. He was wearing jeans and 2 coats and didn’t seem to be breaking a sweat. Dude is a machine

• Ted Buehler February 1, 2012 at 1:51 am

Sweet pics. Nice panning. & such pretty bikes. Portlanders put a lot of love into their bikes, they’re really quite the commuting machines.

Thanks for sharing,