Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on June 2nd, 2011 at 9:44 am
We've got to hand it to US DOT Secretary Ray LaHood. Whether it's showing panache by hopping up on a table for a speech at the National Bike Summit, or creating a buzz about biking on Huffington Post — this guy understands how to communicate and he keeps bicycles in the limelight while doing so.
In that same vein, Sec. LaHood just released his latest "On the Go" video where he answers questions posed to him via Facebook, Twitter, or on his "Fast Lane" blog. One of the three questions he answered had to do with bicycles. Someone asked, "Is DOT improving bicycle infrastructure? Bikes are for transportation, not just recreation."
LaHood's answer included a mention of his calls for safety when people on bikes are on the road, the rising popularity of bike-sharing, and more. We spliced the YouTube video so you can watch just his answer to the bike question...
We know this isn't earth-shattering news, but to have the US DOT Secretary be this accessible and responsive is pretty awesome.
- Transpo. Sec. Ray LaHood on his blog: "Cyclists are important users of transportation systems"
- US DOT Secretary will bike to work with employees Monday
- LaHood and other bigwigs to hold press event for SW Moody project
- USDOT: Traffic fatalities fell to record-breaking lows in 2009
- Sec. LaHood: "You have a full partner at the US DOT"