Join us Wednesday for a NE Portland/Cully Get Together

Posted by on May 23rd, 2011 at 9:52 am

Cully Blvd cycle track-6
J.C. on the Cully cycle track.
(Photo © J. Maus)

Join us this Wednesday (5/25) for a social meet-up in the Cully Neighborhood. If you live or ride in this area of Northeast Portland, roll over to The Spare Room (NE 42nd and Alberta Ct.) for some great conversation, a raffle, and a chance to make connections with other people who care about bicycling in that community.

The Spare Room is right on the Going Street Bike Blvd and it’s just a mile or so from the brand new cycle track on NE Cully Blvd we reported about last week. I’d also love to hear from locals what it’s like riding in this area.

Is NE 42nd a viable route? Or is it — like many other narrow commercial streets in Portland — a risky option for bicycling? What are the highlights and lowlights of riding in the Cully area? Have new bikeways on Going Street and Cully changed your riding habits?

As per usual, we’ll buy the first round of appetizers, some official PBOT maps of the area, and a bunch of great raffle prizes from event sponsor SKS-Germany. All you need to do is bring yourself and your ideas and insights.

Get Together – Northeast/Cully
Weds., May 25th
5:30 ~ 7:30
The Spare Room (4830 NE 42nd Ave.)

Comments
  • Zaphod May 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I might show up with a bit of free caffeinated swag to offer up to those who can answer a few trivia questions about Portland bike infrastructure

• John May 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hi. Bummer, can’t make it, but wanted to say ‘thanks’ for hosting this event in my neighborhood. Really appreciate it!

• Brian May 24, 2011 at 9:15 am

my main concern with riding to and from this neighborhood is the lack of any major east west connection to the N Vancouver/N Williams corridor. The bike boulevards just don’t do the trick when you have to ride this route everyday.

• Steph May 24, 2011 at 10:32 am

I plan to be there – and have some definite feedback about the Going bikeway, so Brian and I may have similar things to say :)

Pro-tip: Killingsworth is my east-west route (42nd to Vancouver/Williams every day!) and I enjoy it. I have many more negative bike/car (and, honestly, bike/bike) interactions along the “bike corridors” than I do along this major road. Just be prepared to upgrade your tires or buy stock in a tube company because of glassy road edges.

That said…I live close enough to walk and plan to do so because of very very very limited (read: three or four staple racks in that two-block radius) bike parking – be ready for some creative lock-up spots, folks!

• Patrick May 24, 2011 at 10:49 am

I just got an email back from The Spare Room and they don’t allow minors. Aurelia was looking forward to talking about the Going St bikeway (she likes it) and other issues on her commute to Beaumont School. Next time it should be in an all ages venue.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) May 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

Dang. Sorry Patrick. Would have loved to have Aurelia there. Perhaps you can come and represent some of her perspectives.

And about venues… It’s very hard to find free venues that are the right size, location, vibe, etc. for stuff like this. We’ll try extra hard for all-ages venues in the future.

• RK May 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

Hi – I will be moving to Portland (PhD Urban Studies) in August, and we’re interested in the Cully/Concordia neighborhood – anyone in the know who wants to answer some questions?

Thanks!

• Steph May 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

Absolutely – but not through here. I’m emailing you through your linked website’s email contact…hope it goes through!

• Brian May 24, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I’m bummed I can’t make it Wednesday, I’ll be at the Timbers game, but it sounds like Steph will be able to speak to my concerns regarding the bikeway. I don’t like using the bikeways in general for my regular commute because I find them to be slow, rough, and lacking stop signs in some cases. I use Killingsworth and Ainsworth as my main east-west route and would like to see these streets improved.

• Zaphod May 25, 2011 at 10:57 am

Unexpected travel has me forced to abandon this evening’s festivities. Sad but unavoidable. These events are always worthwhile to meet great people and know what’s happening in PDX. Hoist a pint for me!