Listen up! BikePortland partners with 94.7 FM

Posted by on March 24th, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Screenshot from “Spring Cycle”
page of 94.7fm website.

Last Fall, the folks at Entercom Radio in Portland called me up and said they wanted to do a promotional campaign that focused on bicycling. I like radio — and I especially like spreading the good word about bikes to new audiences — so I said I’d be happy to be a part of it. The result is the “Spring Cycle” — a partnership between 94.7 FM and BikePortland.org.

The Spring Cycle is a promotional campaign that will bring bike messages to 94.7′s airwaves throughout the day (when they’re not playing alternative music). I’ll get 30 seconds per spot and they’ll run during the morning show and several times each day during prime time. After 30 seconds, Entercom will pay the bills with a 30 second advertisement from one of the campaign’s sponsors (the first title sponsor is Better World Club, known as the first company to offer bicycle roadside assistance).

As I shared last Friday, here’s how the initial intro spot came out (this one is the full 60 seconds and includes the Better World Club message):

The daily ad/info spots are the key part of the campaign, but we’re also working together on other fun stuff. There’s a website on 947.fm that hosts the campaign and we hope to do some contests for folks that listen. In April I’ll get the opportunity to be on Entercom’s public affairs show Metroscope. Host Ted Douglass and I will have a long chat about bikes and the show will be aired on a Sunday on all six Entercom stations.

This is a new thing for me and I don’t know much about the radio business, but I do know that I love talking about bikes and I’m looking forward to this experience.

Comments
  • Nick V March 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Congratulations Jonathan and best of luck! Onward and upward!

I’ve been told I have a face made for radio.

• ben10dough March 24, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Right on! I just discovered the blog and will look forwad to listening to the mp3. Do you recommend any other audio on bicycle culture/engineering?
    Thanks,
    -Benros

• April March 24, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Awesome! I don’t listen to commercial radio very often, but when I do I listen to KNRK.

• Jackattak March 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Congrats BikePortland! I resemble April’s sentiment. When I do listen to commercial radio, it’s KNRK.

• fredlf March 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Hmm, we must all be in the same demographic, since NRK is the only station I listen to when it’s not NPR.

Except if I’m hanging sheet-rock, then it has to be the Classic Rock station. Union rules.

Congrats Jonathan! Cool gig.

• Case March 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Here’s the link to my buddy’s bike radio thingy…http://www.kpfk.org/programs/170-bike-talk.html

• Peter K March 24, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Another example of bikeportland transcending this wonderful piece of the blogosphere. And what luck to have Better World Club involved. Would you have been able to do it if it was sponsored by Hummer?

Congrats on the recognition and good job on the radio spot. Excellent message.

• chelsea March 25, 2010 at 8:46 am

I’m impressed that Entercom is airing a show about bikes on all of their Portland staions, including a sports/talk and country music station. Hopefully people will be exposed to some new ideas.