Obama, Adams supporters to canvass by bike in Portland

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 18th, 2008 at 11:21 am

Obama, during his speech in
Portland back in March.
(Photo by Ethan Jewett/Stickeen)

Local organizers for Barack Obama's presidential campaign and for Commissioner Sam Adams' mayoral campaign will take to the streets by bike tomorrow.

According to Tyler Wardwell, one of Obama's field organizers in Multnomah County, Obama supporters will meet up at their campaign headquarters in Southeast Portland and set out into the neighborhood for "some green grassroots organizing -- biking door-to-door, registering voters and sharing our stories of why we support Barack."

Sam Adams interview-3.JPG
Sam Adams
(Photo © J. Maus)

He says everyone is encouraged to join them and that after their bike-canvassing efforts the group will ride together to the Earth Day festivities at Overlook Park.

Supporters of Sam Adams will also use pedal-power to deliver yards signs and chat with Portlanders on Sunday. Adams plans to show up at his campaign headquarters for a meet-and-greet session prior to the ride.

Here are details of both events:

Yard Sign Delivery By Bike for Sam Adams
    Sunday, 4/20
    1:00pm rain or shine
    Meet: Sam Adams' campaign headquarters (1028 SE Water Avenue)
    *Bring a bike trailer or other means of carrying at least 20 lawn signs.

Wouldn't it be neat if the Adams and Obama camps met up somewhere along the route?

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Jill April 18, 2008 at 11:40 am

Wow- I first read this as Obama to campaign by bike.

This is awesome- not as awesome as Barack on a bike, but still cool.

• Qwendolyn April 18, 2008 at 12:22 pm

That headline is more than a little misleading.

...just sayin\'

• toddistic April 18, 2008 at 1:29 pm

seriously misleading. i was so excited, then my excitement was dashed upon the rocks of disappointment. still cool though!

• BikingViking April 18, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Need to change that headline! I was almost beside myself with the thought of Obama and Adams cruising PDX on a tandem.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) April 18, 2008 at 3:32 pm

all right all right.. i changed the headline... but just for the record I did not make it misleading on purpose.

;-)

• Zaphod April 18, 2008 at 6:54 pm

If I can get away, I\'ll be there.

BTW, BikingViking, you wouldn\'t happen to be the very same BikingViking of old school MTBR message boards? You know, back when work consisted of 25% hitting the board and basically getting little done. Pre-kid and pre-responsibility... ahhh those were the days.

• zilfondel April 19, 2008 at 1:08 pm

damn, my bike\'s in the shop getting tuned! :(

• JL April 21, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Hi Jonathan, will there be an alert here if the Clinton camp goes out to campaign? I recall one group of the bikers at her rally that had bought her a new bike helmet, because of her statements about bikes as alternative transportation.

I\'m DEFINITELY not trying to get in a political debate or anything like that AT ALL, I\'m just curious if they do something like that and contact you if we can see that posted here - just as bike news or whatever.

• Jessy April 22, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Okay, so this is a good start... But what\'s up with the yard signs?! They must be really horrible, environmentally speaking. Because I can\'t imagine them getting recycled, and even if they do, they still took a lot of resources to produce in the first place. I\'d like to see a candidate denounce them.