Day 6: Rolling through a Scenic Byway

Posted by on September 14th, 2007 at 5:06 pm

Cycle Oregon Day 6 -17.JPG
Dropping into the forest.
View slideshow below

The Cycle Oregon folks called today’s ride “the Magic Carpet Ride” and I can’t think of a better way to put it.

Last night in the beer garden I talked about scenic byways with the founder of Cycle Oregon, Jonathan Nicholas. Jonathan and I agreed that the future of bicycling in Oregon is to designate a network of backroads as official Scenic Bikeways. It’s an exciting possibility that will not only provide an amazing recreational opportunity, but will give an economic boost to many small towns throughout the state.

Today, we rode on a Scenic Byway. Our 65 mile route took us from Oakridge to Rainbow via Aufderheide Memorial Drive.

Tonight is our last night of camping, and we have a special night time event: the Bike Rodeo. Stay tuned for photos of Bike Gallery mechanics trying to kill themselves on their bikes. There will be bike limbo, bike derby, and more.

For now, check out my slideshow from today’s ride…

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

Comments
  • Darren September 14, 2007 at 5:29 pm

There is an idea kicking around of a bike/ped/emergency vehicle bridge over the Willamette that would parallel the Boone Bridge down in Wilsonville. In short, a safe and quick bike exit from the Metro area to Champoeg park and the scenic by-ways south to Salem and Eugene. Sounds like a great plan to me.

• John C September 14, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Jonathan, your words about cycling events (like Cycle Oregon) always inspire me and remind me of what a beautiful place Oregon is. Both it\’s natural beauty and the spirit of the people. The photos are absolutely priceless! You have become quite the photographer and really have an eye for composition. The photos speak to me as much as the words. Thank you for the Cycle Oregon posts.

John C.

• tori September 15, 2007 at 8:01 am

Great photos, Jonathan! Since I can\’t be there I\’ve really appreciated your updates and daily goings-on. Maybe I\’ll be back next year, but in the meantime have a great wrap-up to your travels and come home safe.
    We miss you!

• jj September 15, 2007 at 8:51 am

I also have appreciated the photos and updates. My husband is on the ride, and forgot to bring a camera. So it\’s been nice to have a visual update of where he\’s been each day.

Not to mention, your photos are so much nicer than any he\’d manage to snap!

• Mark Allyn September 15, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Thank you for such lovely photos!!!

• Bearhat September 15, 2007 at 12:38 pm