Exclusive video: A traffic calming sasquatch at Ladd Circle

Posted by on May 23rd, 2007 at 10:24 am

For the first time ever, Portland filmmaker Dan Kaufman has captured video of a traffic calming sasquatch (video below). It turns out this elusive sasquatch, whose name is Clarence, has finally decided to descend from his secret mountain hideaway to enjoy a bike ride around Ladd Circle.

Clarence had previously been afraid to come near city streets but because of successful traffic calming measures in this area, he can ride his bike without fear. Watch the video to find out what happens….

Comments
  • todd May 23, 2007 at 10:58 am

your teaser “watch what happens” led me to expect that he’d be caught in a PPD sting to crack down on jaywalking, public nudity, or whatever.

• Anonymous May 23, 2007 at 11:01 am

Awesome!!

• Bicycling Green Goblin May 23, 2007 at 11:06 am

I traded in my hovercraft a few weeks back and went to a bicycle. It’s been great. I’d like to see other “characters” ride a bike like Batman, Wonder Woman or Toonces the Cat Who Could Drive a Car.

Although the Silver Surfer shouldn’t trade in his surfboard just yet.

• erin g. May 23, 2007 at 12:07 pm

Someone should tell Clarence the Sasquatch that he has some nice bike handling skills, and that he might want to check out the Halloween ‘cross races later this year…

…but what would he wear as a costume? Perhaps he could wax off his fur and go as a human?

• Wonder Woman May 23, 2007 at 12:43 pm

I am always riding my bike – just in disguise.

Ride on,
    Wonder Woman

• Austin May 23, 2007 at 1:25 pm

All the sasquatch I know ride mountain bikes. I am glad to see that they are not only adapting to urban environments, but using hand signals as well.

• Matthew May 23, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Clarence the Sasquatch doesn’t speak English, but apparently knows how to signal… Hummm, something is fishy here.

• Clar...er...Sasquatch May 23, 2007 at 2:34 pm

Dear Friendly Human Beings,

I needth to address certain items in this thing called BikePortland blog which is one of my favorite blogs.

Firstlys, I am happy to be living part time in Ladd’s Edition. Please say hello next time you see me. I do not hide away all the time.

Seconds, in order to survive in the wild, fellow ‘squatch and I are adept at mimickery. And thus since there are so many law-abiding cyclists in Portland, I picked up much from hiding in the traffic circle at Ladd’s Edition.

Finallys, I do know certain English words but only key ones. In factoid, it has been hard typing this because I am here at the Red & Black using the computers and the keys are too small for my fingers. Plus reference books are hard to find to translate from Sasquatch to English.

• ben May 23, 2007 at 3:39 pm

i always expected a sasquatch to be an advocate of sensible footwear.
    …all that running around in the woods, ya know?

highlight of the film: clarence the sasquatch (speed-)humping a tree at the 0:44 mark.

hahaha.

• brodie May 23, 2007 at 5:13 pm

Sweet! Cameo!

nice work. but i can’t believe that sasquatch is lecturing me about abiding the law…

• Scout May 24, 2007 at 4:15 am

Absolutely the best beginning to my day!

• Attornatus_Oregonensis May 24, 2007 at 7:13 am

I’m bummed that my “Awesome!” earlier came out as Anonymous for some reason. So let me say it again — Awesome!

I think we need Clarence the Sasquatch to start traveling more now that the roads are getting less dangerous so he can appear in some of the more, er, controversial areas of the city and do some traffic calming himself. What do you say Sasquatch?

• Clar...er...Sasquatch May 24, 2007 at 11:06 am

I say as the Sasquatch of this videofile that there are many other ‘quatch out there who can take parts in this wonderfully new exciting adventure for bicycling.

So I am saying this to all those Sasquatches out there – male and female – make your own video productions and post them, I can share spotlight times with my fellow kind.

For example, I know there is another Sasquatch who is living in the backyard of a house on 23rd just off of Hawthorne.

• vespabelle May 24, 2007 at 1:39 pm

according to this video, sasquath has “never been in a car”
    which totally jibes with what we’ve just seen!

• Siouxgeonz May 24, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Ironically, in the infamous video about selective attention, it was a sasquatch that people didn’t see when told to count how many times the basketball was caught. (A friend of mine was in the research and he didn’t see the sasquatch)

• Robert Ping May 24, 2007 at 4:37 pm

You see, Sasquatches get bike safety education in Sasquatch school before they learn English. They come from a very civilized culture!

• boz May 24, 2007 at 11:13 pm

I would love to see the Eastbank Esplanade Mermaid “come out” of hiding to give us some advice about bike/ped safety issues.,,

She’s HOT!