Andando En Biciletas Y Caminando (ABC) Coordinator
Company / Organization
Community Cycling Center
ABOUT ANDANDO EN BICICLETAS Y CAMINANDO
Andando en Bicicletas Y Caminando (ABC) is a Spanish speaking active transportation advocacy group in the Cully neighborhood. The group has closely collaborated with community partners such as Hacienda, Verde, and Living Cully in their past work. Most members of the group have participated in Lideres Verdes, a year-long leadership development program facilitated by Verde. ABC members practice and further develop leadership skills through planning and implementation of community projects, events, and advocacy.
ABC is primarily made up of Latiné parents living in the Cully neighborhood of Portland. The group advocates for improved bike storage in the neighborhood, safe routes to their neighborhood schools and affordable access to bicycles and bicycle repair. ABC members receive a monthly stipend for their participation. Cultural humility and understanding of how current political events affect the wellbeing of historically underserved communities in Portland and the Latiné community in particular are essential traits to this position. The Community Cycling Center has supported ABC since 2012, facilitating the empowerment of these impactful community leaders.
The ABC Coordinator acts as a liaison between group members, the Community Cycling Center and ABC partners. The Coordinator’s role is to facilitate conversations and help organize activities toward the goals ABC has set for the year. Engagement with ABC members is almost exclusively done in Spanish. We work with our partners to develop roles for each member that matches their skillset and development goals. We then collaboratively support members in reaching these goals and fulfilling their roles.
Please note that the percentage indicators below represent an estimate of how much time each week will be spent fulfilling these functions. In terms of importance, all areas are valued equally. A certain portion of the ABC coordinator’s hours may be spent supporting other projects in the CCC Programs
Facilitation and Planning (30%)
● Collaborate with ABC members to create an annual work plan centered on members’ self-identified goals. This plan involves working closely with our established Cully community-based partners (i.e. Verde/Living Cully and Hacienda).
● Facilitate meetings in Spanish with the full ABC group (currently 10 members), ABC partners, and guests once per month.
● Create and facilitate working groups for specific projects.
● Develop and write agendas in Spanish for monthly meetings.
● Provide occasional, informal English-Spanish translation. English-speaking only partners are expected to provide their own translation services as needed.
● Ensure that outside groups asking for ABC member input and/or support are providing value to the Cully community. Advocate for ABC members being financially compensated for their
Organizing and communication (30%)
● Help the group identify priorities for their community.
● Collaborate with ABC and partners to design and schedule community campaigns, events, or activities that address identified priorities.
● Provide regular reminders and contact in Spanish via phone and text to members (email is generally not a good option for group members).
Trainings, Activities, Actions, and Events (20% or more) (Increases during high season; May-Sept)
● The ABC Coordinator will collaborate alongside ABC members on a variety of trainings, activities, and events throughout the year. Includes working occasional weekend and evening hours to accommodate ABC members’ schedules.
● Please refer to the ABC webpage on our site, https://communitycyclingcenter.org/community/partner-programs/ for some examples of the work ABC has done in the past.
Administration and other (20%)
*Training and ongoing technical support provided by Programs team leadership as needed.
● Coordinate and track monthly stipend deliveries to ABC members for their participation.
● Support grant reporting by sharing ABC stories and accomplishments.
● Assist program leadership staff in creating an annual budget for the program.
● Collaborate with development staff to pursue funding for the program.
● Provide opportunities and support for ABC members to participate in other Community Cycling Center programs and activities.
● Support other programs outside of ABC as necessary with an emphasis on community development and education.
QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
● Bilingual in Spanish/English
● Experience leading community organizing efforts with low-income communities of color; may include paid or volunteer work, and/or lived experience.
● Ability to energize ABC group members to make meaningful and lasting contributions to the group’s mission.
● Self-motivated, self-starter who can develop their own vision around how to best support the ABC group and their mission.
● Very strong organizational skills, with an attention to small details.
● Exceptional communications skills, including ability to write in Spanish and
● Ability to work both independently and with a team.
● A demonstrated commitment to equity and social justice.
● Ability to occasionally ride a bicycle up to 10 miles in a day, and the ability to lift up to 25 pounds (Reasonable accommodation will be made for staff with a disability).
● Written and verbal translation skills (Spanish-English).
● Lived experience as an immigrant.
● Passion for cycling and other forms of active transportation.
● Familiarity with Mayan cultures.
● Driver’s license
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email with “ABC Coordinator Application” as the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may be submitted in Spanish or English. The position will be open to applicants through Monday, January 16th. We will begin selecting applicants for interviews that same week.