Tour de Lab September 1st

Crazy around every corner: Photos from the Cross Crusade Halloween weekend in Bend

Posted by on October 31st, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Cross Crusade in Bend-45.jpg

This running-of-the-bulls inspired costume was one of the most creative of the day.
(Photo: J. Maus/BikePortland)

The River City Bicycle Cyclocross Crusade was at an entirely different level over the weekend. With its annual stop in Bend for races number five and six in the eight-race series, it was Oregon cyclocross at its peak. There was creativity, debauchery, inspiration, and fun around every corner.

As a competitor and as a spectator it was truly something to behold: There were brilliant costumes, enthusiastic crowds, and some serious (and not so serious) racing on yet another slippery and challenging course.

From the woman dressed in bondage gear spanking everyone who passed with a leather whip (we got it in slo-mo), to the cheeto and Oreo cookie handups, to the couple dressed like KISS rocking out as riders passed — I’m still reliving all the unforgettable moments in my head.

Speaking of which, there were guys in my race (category 2/3) dressed like tacos and handing out actual, real Taco Bell tacos for anyone who would take them. And another guy in my race dressed like a banana and had a bunch of peels in his pouch that he dropped like booby-traps on the course as he raced! Who does that?!

Before it gets too late on this Halloween night, I wanted to send you out with a sampling of the craziness from the weekend…

Whip me please!

Slo-mo vid of the bondage whipping woman. (Pics below if the video doesn’t work)
Cross Crusade in Bend-59.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-57.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-68.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-71.jpg

Our friend Maria Schur!
Cross Crusade in Bend-70.jpg

Even the elite racers got into the fun.
Cross Crusade in Bend-63.jpg

The peak of a steep grassy climb was one of the loudest spots on the course.
Cross Crusade in Bend-67.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-66.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-64.jpg

A racer accepts the Oreo cookie handup!

Cross Crusade in Bend-55.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-56.jpg

There was something crazy around every corner — including this KISS duo complete with guitars and a sound system.
Cross Crusade in Bend-15.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-53.jpg

Jellyfish.

There were quite a few costumes based on current events and politics.

Cross Crusade in Bend-46.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-44.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-40.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-38.jpg

Sure, why not stop for a beer mid-race?
Cross Crusade in Bend-37.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-36.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-35.jpg

I heard this guy get brilliantly heckled by a fan: “Four score and seven years ago is how long you’re taking to ride this course!”
Cross Crusade in Bend-34.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-32.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-29.jpg

I’m glad she wasn’t in my race. Scary!
Cross Crusade in Bend-28.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-26.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-22.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-12.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-49.jpg

Even the kids got into the act.
Cross Crusade in Bend-51.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-48.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-50.jpg

Cross Crusade in Bend-52.jpg

This young bull-fighter raced with the rose in his mouth — and he posed for me!

And yes, I dressed up too…

Thanks to Chris DiStefano for the photo and River City Bicycles/Giant Bicycles for the scary fast and fun bike.

Have fun out there tonight! There’s a Halloween Ride leaving from north Portland at 5:30 pm if you can make it.

And if you want to take part in this cycling spectacle, you are in luck. This Sunday the Crusade returns home for a big event out at Portland International Raceway (just north of Kenton).

I’ve got more photos from Bend over on the BikePortland Flickr page.

— Jonathan Maus, (503) 706-8804 – jonathan@bikeportland.org

BikePortland is supported by the community (that means you!). Please become a subscriber or make a donation today.

Please support BikePortland.

Paul H November 1, 2016 at 8:18 am

These pictures just made me smile: all the creativity and joy. Nice!

Mike November 1, 2016 at 8:27 am

Everyone’s so giddy and upscale, but a Trump supporter on a bicycle? C’mon…..

Mike 2 November 1, 2016 at 8:33 am

“Sure, why not stop for a beer mid-race?”

Because it will get you DQ’ed and the person doing the hand up will be asked to leave the venue.

If you’re not there to race, then don’t race. If you just want people to see you in your super creative costume, then wear it to the party.

Zimmerman November 1, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Some people don’t care about a DQ and are just there to participate with the like-minded. Why do you care?

Classic.

Mike 2 November 1, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Why do I care?
        Because some people are there to race. Stopping on the course right before the barriers so you can drink alcohol is not safe or considerate. There are reasons that the rule is in place.

Like I said, if your only goal is to ride a bike and drink alcohol and show people your awesome jumpsuit, great. Do it. Just not during the race where it is specifically prohibited.

mran1984 November 1, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Shooting for the WC this year? Good luck in Europe. Pretty serious for cat 4.

Mike 2 November 2, 2016 at 8:07 am

I guarantee you couldn’t hold my wheel – but it would be kind of fun to watch you try.

SE Rider November 2, 2016 at 12:22 pm

You clearly need to steer clear (see what I did there) of the Halloween race. It’s not like it doesn’t have a decades old tradition for this type of stuff.

Mike 2 November 1, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Classic would be the mindset of:
        “Even though it is against the rules (laws, norms, etc.), I do not/can not acknowledge what I am doing is wrong – therefore I can continue to do whatever I want. If anyone has an issue with me breaking said rules (norms, laws, etc.), I can tell them to mind their own business and make it seem like they are being the selfish jerk.”

Zimmerman November 1, 2016 at 3:42 pm

But in this case, you kind of are.

Mike 2 November 2, 2016 at 8:09 am

What rules am I breaking? Who am I telling to mind their own business?

Why is calling someone out for bad behavior (if their on a bicycle) such a bad thing?

Zimmerman November 2, 2016 at 11:15 am

I was talking about the selfish jerk part.

I have a theory that the only buzzkiller to be upset about a beer hand-up at a Cross Crusade race is you. That’s cool though, your crusade seems to be about rules while the Cross Crusade has historically been about fun while racing your bicycle. You weren’t, by chance, the guy that flipped Hodala’s fire pit and tried to fight everyone at the tent over heckling, were you?

Dave S November 1, 2016 at 1:00 pm

If that’s how you feel about beer hand ups you might want to stay away from Single Speed Worlds in Dec…

Mike 2 November 1, 2016 at 2:13 pm

I guess it would be different if the rules stated it was allowed, huh?

I think I can wrap my head around that.

Eric H November 1, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Sounds like someone forgot that Sunday was the costume race, got heckled for not dressing up and taking the Masters 4 a little too seriously.

Mike 2 November 1, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Nope. Dressed up, but didn’t race. I saved the beer for the drive home after the race.

Pete S. November 2, 2016 at 8:50 am

So drinking during a bike race is a no no but drinking and driving is A-ok?

Mike 2 November 3, 2016 at 10:51 am

Hey, I wasn’t hurting anyone. Don’t be a buzzkill. Maybe you are a slow driver in the Cat 4 masters category. Those rules don’t apply to me.

Dan November 1, 2016 at 10:29 pm

You’ll get DQ’d but not asked to leave the venue unless it’s a dry venue.

Mike 2 November 2, 2016 at 8:21 am

You are correct. I should have written that you COULD be asked to leave, not WILL be.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 2, 2016 at 6:49 am

These comments are such a buzzkill.

Seriously guys?

Mike 2 November 2, 2016 at 8:18 am

I agree – they are.

Here is the issue though – the rider is caught breaking the rules, rules that are very difficult to enforce considering OBRA’s lack of officials and how poorly those remaining officials are treated by riders and spectators alike, that do not believe the rules apply to them.
      Now we have a very popular blog showing pictures of bad behavior and making it out to be acceptable. When it is pointed out why the behavior is NOT acceptable, it becomes time to berate and insult the person making the observation.

Yep. A buzzkill that rather than acknowledge that the behavior was poor (or not say anything at all) it is more important to go on the attack.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 2, 2016 at 9:27 am

Thanks Mike 2,

Pointing out your opinion on the image and how it was presented is totally fine with me. More power to you. I agree that you shouldn’t be “attacked” for it.

As for the issue itself, I disagree with you about it. I think in context of the spirit of the event, this isn’t a big deal. Philosophically I’m against rigid enforcement of any laws.. I’d prefer us as a society to focus on context and target people who are doing very dangerous/illegal things instead of ticky-tack enforcement because “there’s a law!”. Similar to my feelings on traffic law. In some ways, I don’t think “Cell phone use” should be illegal… What should be illegal IMO is driving distracted and driving in a way that puts other people at risk.

I’m open to being wrong about that, but that’s my gut feeling.

dwk November 2, 2016 at 9:59 am

This may be the dumbest thread ever… Get a life.

Eric H November 2, 2016 at 10:11 am

Here’s the thing though, 3 folks were DQ’ed for handups during the Sunday race. This guy was probably one of them, so you got your wish and sounds like you had a great race on Saturday. I know I had a blast both days and I even stopped for 2 beer, 1 marshmallow, and a $1 handup without getting DQ’ed, nobody was hurt, and no bunnies were killed. Hope you have another great race this weekend.

Dan A November 2, 2016 at 8:41 am

The ‘no handups’ rule is pretty lame for some races.

bradwagon November 2, 2016 at 10:53 am

I am completely fine with hand ups that do not give a competitive advantage, the likelihood that an elite racer would take a piece of bacon, drink beer or shove money in their shorts is very unlikely and the lower level races… who cares? As long it is not a dangerous maneuver (stopping on the edge of the course is no more dangerous than someone who has to stop on a run up) what does it matter if someone else wants to intentionally slow themselves down?

Dan A November 2, 2016 at 11:44 am

Somebody put a donut on top of a beer at a PIR race I was in a couple of years ago, right in the middle of the course. So hard to not stop, but I didn’t want to be DQ’d near the end of my race.

bradwagon November 2, 2016 at 10:56 am

That’s a legit David Pumpkins trio.

Eric Porter November 2, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Hey Jonathan, thanks for the great write up and pics. We go to Bend for Halloween every year, and always have a great time mountain biking, going to the brewery party, and watching the races on Sunday and cheering on our friends. I think the best thing about Sunday is that it’s about SPIRIT and having fun. That’s why 90% of the riders are dressed up, even if it’s just a little, because they’re out there to have fun. That’s what biking should be about. Instead of writing negative comments on a bike blog, some people should go ride their bike! And yeah, I’m the David S. Pumpkins pictured above, and me & the skeletons had a ton of fun cheering people up the climb. ANY QUESTIONS?!?!