Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on May 20th, 2016 at 2:00 pm
Job Title *
Lead Bike Technician
Job Description *
Bicycle sharing is a sustainable, healthy, and community-based transport option that enhances urban livability and mobility. Under contract with the City of Portland and with sponsorship from NIKE, Inc., Motivate International is excited to announce the beginning of its operation of Portland’s bicycle sharing program, launching this summer. The system will include 100 stations and 1,000 bikes. Motivate is the largest operator of bike share systems in North America.
Overview of Position:
BIKETOWN is seeking an experienced Lead Bike Technician to oversee a team responsible for all aspects of bicycle assembly, maintenance, and repair for a “smart bike” fleet of 1,000 bicycles each equipped with an interactive user interface. The bike technicians will be responsible for the proper functioning of the bicycles in the system, including troubleshooting the electronics on the user interface and swapping batteries as necessary. Training on technical and unique aspects of BIKETOWN bikes will be provided. You’ll be a part of a team that focuses on operating an effective bicycle transportation system with emphasis on building strong client and sponsor relationships while exceeding the highest standards for service. This position reports to the Operations Manager.
This is a full-time position.
– Supervise and train a team of Bike Technicians.
– Oversee the initial assembly and subsequent maintenance and repair of a fleet of 1,000 bicycles, troubleshooting and devising solutions as needed.
– Manage the scheduling of Bike Technicians to ensure adequate coverage for all shifts (including work in the shop and in the field).
– Ensure that bicycle repairs are completed in a professional and timely manner.
– Respond to requests from the Operations Manager.
– Assist in maintaining an OSHA compliant workplace.
– Ensure that all necessary reporting is accurate, complete and timely.
– Perform bicycle repairs and maintenance.
– Perform in-field bike checking as necessary.
– Understand bicycle department contract Service Level Agreements and ensure metrics are achieved on a monthly basis.
– Participate in installation or move of bikeshare stations as needed.
– Use web and phone applications to locate bikes and interact with bike computer interface.
– Represent BIKETOWN positively and share information about the program with the public during the course of executing duties in the field.
– Work to help manage the inventory, organization, and cleanliness of the work space.
– Maintain a positive relationship with all co-workers.
– Cross-train as requested in other roles
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Motivate International’s mission.
Required Skills and Experience:
– Minimum three years of experience in professional bicycle repair.
– Minimum one year of experience in a supervisory/management role.
– High school diploma or the equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
– Excellent organizational skills.
– Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
– Passion for bikes, efficiency and sustainability.
– Proven technical and mechanical aptitude and innovation.
– Adaptability – enthusiastically adapt to changes in the work environment.
– Dependability – Follow instructions; respond to management direction; communicate frequently; solicit feedback to improve performance.
– Interpersonal skills – maintain confidentiality; remain open to others’ ideas; demonstrate patience and willingness to try new things.
– Excitement and interest in bike sharing is a must.
– Ability to report to work at the BIKETOWN operations center in SE Portland and/or field locations, as needed.
– This position may occasionally require hours which exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week.
– Familiarity with Portland area geography and street layout a plus.
– This position may require frequent or prolonged standing, sitting, bicycling, bending, stooping, and/or lifting up to 50 pounds.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
– Applicable training or courses involving bicycle repair is a plus.
– Familiarity with electronics troubleshooting and repair a plus.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Motivate is a drug-free workplace.
– Salary: Dependent on experience.
– Competitive benefits package offered.
How to Apply *
Please apply using the BIKETOWN website. Here is a link to the online application: