Gravel - Cycle Oregon

Please help me find my bike – UPDATED!

Posted by on November 4th, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Tour of Aufderheide-31

If you see this bike, please contact me at 503-706-8804. Note that it has fenders and different tires than shown in this photo.

UPDATE, 3:15pm: Found my bike. Stole it back. Here’s the story.

My Cielo is gone. Someone grabbed it from outside my office building at the corner of SW 4th and Stark this morning around 9:00 am. Please help me find it.

I was not thinking straight and left it unlocked. I know it sounds crazy. But it happened. I feel horrible. I had ghost-ridden it to work this morning alongside my city bike (like I usually do at the beginning of the week, so it can stay in my office for lunch rides) and I set it against the rack next to my other bike. I locked my city bike and then walked up to the fourth floor, only to realize — several hours later — that I left it just sitting there. (I’ve had lots of heavy stuff on my mind lately and was just not thinking clearly.)

Without getting too emotional, I will just say that I love this bike. I got it two summers ago and have told many of you privately that it’s the bike that has inspired me to start riding again. It’s been on so many awesome adventures with me. I got it because it completed a life story of sorts: I used to work for Chris King (makers of the bike) back in college in Santa Barbara and my favorite epic road to ride was the bike’s namesake: Camino Cielo Road.

Please keep your eyes peeled.

Here are some distinguishing characteristics:

— Cielo Sportif
    — Pearl white with orange lettering
    — “BikePortland.org” logo on the top tube
    — Mango orange Chris King hubs
    — Fenders

And here are more photos:

my cielo

Tour of Aufderheide-28

If you see this bike, please text or call me at (503) 706-8804.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully it will turn up. Hard to imagine otherwise.

CORRECTION, 11/5 at 9:23 am: I initially wrote that I felt this incident was my fault. But upon reflection and consideration of your comments below, I have deleted that. Thanks.

Harvest Century is September 23rd
Please support BikePortland.

• Matt F November 4, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Definitely will be on the look out!

• bryan hance
    bryan hance November 4, 2014 at 1:30 pm

aaarrrrggggh! Also keeping an eye out.

Death to bike thieves.

• Charles November 4, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I’d start by looking under the bridge near the Esplanade at SE Salmon Street. Every time I’ve been there I’ve seen so many stolen bikes and bike parts all over the place.

• Dave November 4, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Got a serial number? And do Cielos with steel forks have a serial # on the steerer, too?

• Jordan November 4, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Oh man Jonathan so sorry to hear! I’ll keep an eye out.

• redhippie November 4, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Take a spin around the waterfront

• oliver November 4, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Oh man, what a bummer mistake to make. Best of luck getting recovering it, at least it’s distinctive.

• lyle w. November 4, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Bout to ride down to PSU… I’ll have my eyes-peeled (particularly around the Esplanade).

• Alan 1.0 November 4, 2014 at 1:48 pm

List it in BikeIndex right now! It could change hands any time, and the buyer might look there.

Where are the posses assembling?

• Neil November 4, 2014 at 1:49 pm

“For what it’s worth, it was completely my fault. I was not thinking straight and left it unlocked.”

Actually, I think it’s the fault of whoever stole it.

• Sam November 4, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Exactly right Neil! A very similar thing happened to me awhile back after an especially stressful morning and I was running late to work.

• Marshall Guthrie November 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Yep, if you left a car unlocked and someone stole it, would you say that it was your fault? If you left your door unlocked, and someone robbed you, would you say it was your fault? Theft is theft, the person that took it knew it didn’t belong to them and took it anyway. If everyone just didn’t take stuff that they knew belonged to someone else, we’d all be much happier.

• Edwards November 4, 2014 at 2:02 pm

For what its worth it is absolutely NOT your fault! If people would respect other peoples property and keep their sticky little fingers to themselves it would still be sitting there unmolested!
    But because so many people have no respect for others property you can’t make a simple mistake without paying (big) for it!

The optimist in me hopes someone (another bikey person) grabbed it to keep it safe and will find you asap!

• matt November 4, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Maybe with a big old BikePortland.ORG logo on it the “borrower” thought it was one of those free city bikes. Accidents happen…

• Alison Graves November 4, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I will definitely keep an eye out. Think good thoughts, Jonathan.

• Doug November 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Good luck, Jonathan. Like the others here, I will keep an eye out for it and I bet with enough eye balls we will find it.

• Todd Hudson November 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Forgetting to lock happens. I’ll be passing through the SE Salmon/I-5 homeless camp slash bike chopshop later on – I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

• Kimberlee November 4, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Ugh. So sorry to hear this, Jonathan. I will definitely keep an eye out.

• matt picio November 4, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Agreed, there is a huge difference between “it’s to be expected” and “totally my fault”. Don’t kick yourself too hard on that one. I did the same thing a few months ago in SW Portland and left the bike “locked” (“locked” with my bike helmet) to a bike rack outside Raven & Rose while I went to a play at Keller auditorium. Fortunately and miraculously, it was still there 3 hours later when we returned to R&R for drinks.

It’s certainly a cautionary tale to us all to be aware and mindful, but it certainly isn’t your *fault*. It’s entirely the fault of the thief.

• chris November 4, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I hope you get it back!

• nuovorecord November 4, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Man, that is a shame! I have always loved that bike and will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for it. Hope it finds its way back to you quickly.

• Gary Bang November 4, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I’m really sorry to hear this. I’ll be on the lookout.

When my bike was stolen last month, I got it back by putting an ad out on Craigslist. Within 15 minutes I got a reply from a guy who had “bought it from a kid I buy bikes from”…PPB turned out to be very helpful in this case.

• PNP November 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Such a pretty bike. I hope you get it back.

• Spiffy November 4, 2014 at 3:03 pm

what color were the fenders?

• David Bosch November 4, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I am so sorry to read this. You run a most informative bike site. I’ve learned so much by following your postings over the years. Rest assured that you have a hundred thousand eyes looking out for your bike.

• Spokane Commuter November 4, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Jonathan, I’m in Spokane, WA and will keep an eye on our Craigslist and around town.

• F.W. de Klerk November 4, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Beautiful bike and a sad story, but no doubt one of Portland’s many fine homeless folks are in the process of stripping this thing down right now.

• Bjorn November 4, 2014 at 3:17 pm

UPDATE: just saw on twitter that he found it and although a bit worse for wear it is pretty much intact.

• spencer November 4, 2014 at 3:18 pm

what size? looks like a 58cm frame. Its likely cruising on the west bank under the burnside bridge. Itd be worth a tip to NW 18th under the 405 as well. if i see it, it’ll come back to you

• El Biciclero November 4, 2014 at 3:27 pm

“Totally my fault” = one of the biggest problems with average American culture.

Thieves justify their entire profession with this thinking. They tell themselves that anyone who didn’t bolt down, lock up, and set an alarm on anything “deserves” to have it stolen—and the rest of American society has eaten it up and believes it to be true as well. It is the same thing bicyclists and pedestrians tell themselves (sometimes) when they get hit by cars, “I should have been more careful; it was totally my fault for getting in your way.” Like thieves, lots of careless car drivers justify their careless driving by telling themselves that anyone that they hit “deserved” it for not watching out carefully enough, or was “asking for it” by being where they “didn’t belong”.

Yes, you made it really easy for someone who was already looking to do evil to choose you as their target, but it is far from “your fault”.

• John Liu
    John Liu November 4, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Hope the report is right and Jonathon has recovered his bike!

A month ago, I got to work and was so tired or preoccupied that I locked the U-lock to the rack while completely missing the bike itself. I was lucky.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 4, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Found it! Literally under a rock under I-5. Stole it back. Posting story now.

• Joseph E November 4, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I don’t think it’s stealing if it’s your bike. 😉

• Paul Atkinson November 4, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I hope the story includes a phrase similar to “PPB recovered a complete fingerprint of the thief.”

Congratulations on the recovery. That’s great news!

• Joseph E November 4, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Glad you got it back!
    For what it’s worth, I disagree with this:
    “For what it’s worth, it was completely my fault.” [due to leaving bike unlocked]
    If I leave my home unlocked, and someone walks away with my laptop, it isn’t completely my fault. Sure, I could have taken better precautions, but the thief is the one completely at fault.
    In my old home town, my parents used to leave their car keys in the ignition, every night. That’s what everyone did. And many places in this country, people leave bikes out on their porch every night, unlocked, with no problems. People even do this in parts of Portland!
    I do recommend always using a U-lock in Portland, but let’s leave the fault with the crooks.

• Edwards November 4, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Wow… you must have had some serious Karma points saved up for that one!
    I’d go play the lotto if I were you 🙂
    Glad you recovered it, and it was smart of you to go looking for it!

• Justin November 4, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Congrats!

• Doug November 4, 2014 at 3:49 pm

happens to the best of us, glad you got it back!

• David Bosch November 4, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Yeah! This news brightens my day!

• Cheif November 4, 2014 at 4:02 pm

You just started rolling around looking and you just happened to come across your stolen and extremely expensive bike? Weird story.

• Jason H November 4, 2014 at 7:41 pm

So glad this story had a happy ending, great bloodhound work!

• leah treat November 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I’m so happy you have your bike back. I hope you don’t continue to blame yourself. Your bike was stolen. Locked up or not, someone willfully took something that didn’t belong to them.

• Dave November 5, 2014 at 9:44 am

Mazel tov, Maus-man. Glad to hear of the bike’s return!

• o/o November 5, 2014 at 10:19 am

Could you bring your bicycle in your office?