Joe Bike

Sightings: ‘Slave’ to gas, bees, and an Imperial Cruiser

Posted by on May 9th, 2011 at 10:42 am

Ask anyone that’s ridden their bike around a city for any length of time, and they’ll tell you: One of the fringe benefits of biking is all the interesting things you come across while pedaling around. Case in point are the three things below…

The first is something sent in by reader Fred K.. Fred came across an odd sculpture the other day while biking around Northeast Portland…

(Photo: Fred King)

Upon further investigation, Fred found out the sculpture is modeled after a Star Trek Wars Imperial Cruiser and it was made for the Star Wars vs. Star Trek Ride slated for June 18th during Pedalpalooza.

The next random sighting was sent in by reader Bill M., who works out at Intel in Hillsboro. Hope you’re not allergic to bees…

Bill spotted this bike in the racks outside his office. He thinks a queen bee might have settled on the bike and its hive used the rack as a temporary rest stop.

Our last sighting today is one of my own. I came across a provocative photo last week…

Slave to gas-1

(Photo © J. Maus)

Not the tact I’d take to starting a conversation with someone that holds a different perspective than I do, but to each his own.

Do you ever see memorable things while biking around? We’d love to hear about them. Snap a photo and drop us a line and we’ll share them after a few roll in.

meh May 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

It’s modeled after the “STAR WARS” imperial cruiser.

J_Ryde May 9, 2011 at 11:07 am

All three are awesome! Thanks for posting. Bees?! Seriously?!

borgbike May 9, 2011 at 11:15 am

Great idea. I’m sure there’s a lot more out there.

middle of the road guy May 9, 2011 at 11:16 am

Too bad the “slave to gas” guy does not realize he uses a transportation network funded by gas taxes.

probably also does not realize that the majority of the goods he purchases are shipped in using……yes, petroleum.

spare_wheel May 9, 2011 at 11:38 am

link please.

John Lascurettes May 9, 2011 at 11:53 am

Middle of the road guy: Gas taxes do NOT pay for the transportation network. Not by a long shot.

Chris I May 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Vehicle user fees (gas tax, registration) pay for most of the road maintenance (we’re talking about local roads here), but don’t even start to cover new road construction. Considering that bikes have little to no impact on the roads, increased cycling is better for the city’s road budget.

Eric in Seattle May 11, 2011 at 9:20 am

Unless he’s riding on the freeway (which is funded by gas taxes), this person is using a transportation network (namely city streets) funded by general revenue funds. Not only that, he’s using the network in a much more efficient way (taking up less space, not needing “free” parking, not causing wear and tear, etc), leaving room for the heavily subsidized automobiles.

Alan 1.0 May 9, 2011 at 11:40 am

You would use more tact, but you would take a tack.

Fun pics, love the bee swarm, glad it’s not my bike!

Steve B May 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm

The implied metaphors are too much to process!!

cycler May 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Oh my god- I’m so glad that’s not my bike!
    Can you imagine coming out after a day at work to ride home and finding a swarm of bees? Yikes!

At risk of sounding like my mom, that star wars sculpture really looks dangerous yoked around all their necks. I hope it has a fail safe that allows it to self destruct if someone hits a pothole.

cold worker May 9, 2011 at 2:04 pm

i’m more concerned about the lady in front in flip flops. that always seems like such a horrible idea.

kj May 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm

It is. been there done that in high school, lost some skin off the bottom of my foot. yay.

random rider May 9, 2011 at 2:05 pm

The bees are actually a new alternative to U-locks, which can be removed too easily with a good hacksaw.. It’s just the logical next generation of theft-prevention devices.

Borgbike May 10, 2011 at 9:46 am

Wave a Bic pen in front of them and they might fly away.

peejay May 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm

That’s no imperial cruiser — it’s a star destroyer! And, if you want to see it fully deployed and weaponized, as well as other fun craft from a long time ago and far into the future, come on the 2nd annual Star Wars vs Star Trek ride on Saturday June 18, at 2PM. We start at Director Park.

Oliver May 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm

“And not one of your local bulk cruisers either, one of the big Corellian ships”

Toby May 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Sorry, I saw the quotes being used and couldn’t resist…
        “I’ve outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers, mind you. I’m talking about the big Corellian ships, now.”

Joel Batterman May 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm

To be fair, I believe that the craft is indeed referred to as a “cruiser” in the original 1977 film, before the “Star Destroyer” nomenclature emerged. I swear it’s been years since I’ve seen the movie, but some knowledge has a way of lingering.

peejay May 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm

For updates about the ride, you really should follow @starwarstartrek on twitter.

colin May 10, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’d be willing to bet that gas was used in the production of the “slave to gas” rider’s bicycle itself as well as in the transportation of the bike to wherever it was bought. Not to mention the creation of the tires and all the plastic on it. Those jeans, the hoodie, I’m guessing all depended upon gas in some point of their manufacture and distribution. It’s similar to people claiming hybrids are “good for the environment” when in reality they are just slightly less damaging. We’re talking degrees of damage here not doing a good thing.

I love bicycles and ride mine as my only means of transportation as well as for exercise and just for enjoyment but there’s no good that comes from being condescending and disingenuous.

Ted Buehler May 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Yeah, but at the rate gas and other resources are used for hoodies, bags and bicycles humanity could exist on the earth indefinitely in it’s present form. At the rate they’re used in cars, forget it.

I like the “slave” message. Say it like it is!

Ted Buehler

Skippy May 11, 2011 at 8:36 am

A hodgepodge of pictures leads to interesting debate in the comments section. I get to hear both sides of several issues:
    The proper nomenclature for spaceships in starwars.
    The effectiveness of biological anti-theft devices.
    The definition of the word slave.
    I’m hoping we can come to a conclusion on at least one of the three issues.

Scott May 12, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Swarming bees are actually amazingly gentle. Bees mostly sting in defense of their hive. A swarm is looking for a new home so they have nothing to defend. Best thing to do is call a bee-keeper who would love to come collect a new colony.