Joe Bike

Vote now in the Drive Less. Save More. Video Challenge

Posted by on May 6th, 2009 at 4:20 pm

A screenshot from video “Dear Nana” by Guy Baker

“Drive Less. Save More.” is an awareness campaign sponsored by dozens of regional businesses and organizations whose collective goal is to reduce car trips in Oregon and Southwest Washington. The program provides the public with information about driving costs, transportation options, delivery services, and more.

The campaign’s latest promotion, the Drive Less. Save More. Video Challenge, solicited video entries for use as the campaign’s next television advertisement. Seventy-seven entries were submitted in two categories and the field has been narrowed by campaign judges to the five best in both General and Youth (under 17) categories.

Now it’s up to the public to decide the winners. Check out the ten contenders and vote on the ones you think do the best job of getting across the Drive Less message.

Story continues below

Winners will be run on the air as advertisements, and will be unveiled at a film festival at the Hollywood Theatre in N.E. Portland on May 28.

Paige May 6, 2009 at 8:11 pm

“Be Like Jack” seems to target an audience that probably already uses their cars less than average.

“It’s a sign” shows a guy with what looks to me like bad bike etiquette.

I liked “Dear Nana” and “My Pledge” best.

djkenny May 6, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Guy Baker…no doubt
    It is cute and feels real. Conversational from a child. Cannot go wrong.

hanmade May 6, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I’m with Paige, #1, “Nana” & “Pledge” are my favorites, too.

Metrofiets May 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I let my daughter vote. She’s three and likes the NANA ad the best. Go figure! 😉

JR May 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I voted for the Dear Nana ad.. it’s cute and I love that she likes trains – like me!

Patrick McMahon May 7, 2009 at 5:07 am

Can we vote against “It’s A Sign” for having the cyclist on the sidewalk?

Like most of the folks, I’m voting for “Dear Nana,” and sending it to my kid’s Nonna.

On the youth side I’m not impressed with most but “Signs of Change” and “Showered with Money” seem to be the best.

Chris May 7, 2009 at 1:44 pm

— “Can we vote against “It’s A Sign” for having the cyclist on the sidewalk?”

Why? It’s clear in the video that there is no bicycle lane. In Oregon it’s perfectly legal to ride on the sidewalk where there is no designated bike lane…

indy May 9, 2009 at 2:59 pm

It’s a sign also has the biker apparently running the red while the car waits for the MAX.

I’d like “Dear Nana” except for the last scene the grandma appears to be snapping nana’s neck. heh.

Carpooling through the ages looks the most professional and likely to keep a general audience’s attention.