Bike Tires Direct Warehouse Sale

Bike to Work Day

City employees flip pancakes
for pedalers in Pioneer Square
during Bike to Work Day
festivities last year.
(Photo © J. Maus)

If the rain and wind has got you down…cheer up! It’s Bike to Work Month and there are free breakfasts and other events just around the corner.

The City of Portland’s SmartTrips crew, the Bicycle Transportation Alliance (BTA), Portland State University, the Lloyd District Transportation Management Association, Shift, and other organizations and businesses have teamed up to host many special events throughout the month aimed squarely at the hearts and minds of two-wheelers.

Steve Hoyt-McBeth, a project manager with the City of Portland’s Transportation Options Division, sent over a list of the events (download PDF below) and pointed out that an enterprising bike commuter could find seven free breakfasts this month (that’s out of 20 weekdays). Check out details of where to eat and learn below the jump…

Story continues below

EAT

A handy program of Bike to
Work Month events.
Download the PDF and put it in
the break room at work.

Like free food and good times with fellow bike commuters? Read on…

— Every Thursday this month, PSU will host free breakfast for bikers at the South Park Blocks (SW Broadway and Montgomery), from 9:00 -11:00 am.
— Downtown commuters won’t want to miss the traditional Bike to Work festivities in Pioneer Courthouse Square on May 12th from 7:30 – 9:00 am.
— If you ride through the Lloyd Center, join the Lloyd TMA for their annual Bike to Work Breakfast on May 15th at Oregon Square (NE Holladay and 6th) from 7:30 – 9:00 am.
— Shift will host their Breakfast on the Bridges on May 29th on the Hawthorne and Steel Bridges from 7:00 – 9:00 am.

LEARN

Besides free breakfast, there are also a ton of free clinics scheduled where you can get the straight dope on all things bike.

— Starting tomorrow, PBOT’s Options Division will offer workshops on touring, commuting and maintenance. Full schedule of their “Portland By Cycle” classes here.

— The BTA will host five free bike commuting clinics during May. The classes are designed to introduce people to the laws, skills, and gear that will help them be safe and confident riders. For details and RSVP information, visit the BTA website.

– On Thursday, May 7th from 1:00 – 2:00 pm, PSU’s Women’s Resource Center (1802 SW 10th Ave) will host a special “Bike Commuting 101” class that will “focus on the nuances of commuting for women”.

For a handy flyer produced by PBOT that you can print out and share with co-workers or post in your office, download this PDF (272 kb).

twistyaction May 5, 2009 at 10:35 am

I wish I had a job so I could be a part of this. 🙁

KJ May 5, 2009 at 10:56 am

Awww, my work computer does not recognize the font myriad pro bold. So I can’t post it at work. Wish they had thought about that for font choices when designing the flyer =( Maybe I can print it at home.

tad May 5, 2009 at 11:13 am

twistyaction just show up on your bike..

Dan May 5, 2009 at 11:34 am

The font doesn’t work for me either 🙁

‘Cannot extract the embedded font “VJUSET+MyriadMM”‘

f5 May 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

PSU breakfast for ‘bike to work’ers…from 9am to 11am? (snicker…snicker…)

metal cowboy May 5, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I’ll be mcing the bike to work day breakfast festivities down at the holladay park event May 15th- doing a few funny commuter bits and working folks into a bike inspired commuter frenzy – or something to that effect. It resembles a shark frenzy, only on two wheels, and we tear into donuts instead of smaller fish and scuba divers. See you there. I’m also doing KATU’s A.M. Northwest program on May 11th to talk about all these activities, bike advocacy, and plug pedalpalooza, my next book, anything else I can think of before they cut my mike and call security. 9am – I don’t have a TV, but I think it’s channel 2.

Kyle May 5, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Seriously, who starts work at 11:30?

Jeff P May 5, 2009 at 12:56 pm

#7 Agreed!

Shift appears to be the only group organizing things for a work day starting at 8:00.

I used to do the bike to work day every year – show of force; big numbers efforts; etc – but coming to work late was not appreciated so much. Making up the time or taking PTO is okay and all, but not really….

Anyways – good luck and have fun all! Be safe! I’m riding no matter what!

dan May 5, 2009 at 1:33 pm

This is as unnecessary as free breakfast for people who drive or take the bus to work.

A free meal is always nice, but in my opinion, these events suggest that bike commuting is a fringe activity that people need to be bribed to do. In my eyes, that’s not the message we should be sending.

She May 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I just called and left a message for Steve Hoyt-McBeth because I can’t print that font either. Seems it is not working for many people. I suggested he send another copy of the schedule to Jonathan with another font so we can print and post at work.

Steve Hoyt-McBeth May 5, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Hi All,

RE: Font problem

My apologies. I’m not sure what happened as even when I download the attachment it doesn’t work.

Until Jonathan and I get it worked out, feel free to email me directly and I’ll send you a readable copy:
    steve.hoyt-mcbeth@trans.ci.portland.or.us

Steve Hoyt-McBeth May 5, 2009 at 2:09 pm

You can also download the file from our SmartTrips Business page: http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=46299&a=242504

KJ May 5, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Yay! Awesome Steve thank you! I emailed the new link to all the departments here.

• […] FREE FOOD FOR BIKERS!!! Published May 6, 2009 bmx , internet 0 Comments YO there is mad free breakfasts all over Portland for people on bikes this month. You can eat for free on Thursdays by PSU, May12th is Pioneer Square and the 15th is the lloyd center, and the 29th on the hawthorne and steel bridges! Go down there and get some!!! If you want more official info go to BIkePortland.org […]

Tim May 5, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Would be nice if they had an option for people that don’t work in the down town corridor. 🙂

bikieboy May 5, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Jonathan, those be eggs in a nest. Not that there’s anything wrong with pancakes…

clay May 6, 2009 at 4:46 pm

i wish i had a job in general

Bob May 11, 2009 at 10:02 am

A concerted effort by the city to sweep bike lanes clear this month would help commuters. I’ve noticed a large increase in the amount of broken glass on my commute into town from NE (Knott-Williams-Rose Center).

• […] Portland […]