Support BikePortland

Save a tree, decorate your bike

Posted by on December 3rd, 2007 at 3:45 pm

“xmas bike” from felixpdx on Flickr.

I came across this photo while perusing my Flickr contacts today.

I’ve decorated my bike for rides before, but have never thought of doing this. Seems like a great idea to me.

Please support BikePortland.

wyatt December 3, 2007 at 3:56 pm

my old frame has been decorated (forgive the shabby cell phone pixelation):

wyatt December 3, 2007 at 3:56 pm
    tonyt December 3, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Awesome!

Ashley December 3, 2007 at 4:15 pm

This makes me sooo happy. What a wonderful idea!

Phil Hanson (aka Pedalphile) December 3, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Brilliant, in more ways than one.

Now, how long before political correctness sets in? (Got your holiday bike up yet?)

Ray Ogilvie December 3, 2007 at 6:42 pm

A christmas bike is a great idea but it is not an ecological sound alternative.
    Christmas trees come from farms not forests.
    If we don\’t support the farmers they might be forced to sell off to condo developers with the next measure 37 fiasco.

Nuada December 3, 2007 at 7:29 pm

If anyone is doing this kind of thing locally please post your contact info. I\’m looking for someone who sells neon wire and does the soldering set-up for a 9V battery so I don\’t have to order the stuff from the SF Bay Area. Burners?

James December 3, 2007 at 8:37 pm

Lame.

anonymous December 3, 2007 at 9:23 pm

Wow Ray, uhh, what if the farmers grew something else? Like food maybe? And how is it not more ecologically sound to decorate something that already exists, rather than purchase something grown explicitly for the purpose of standing in your living room for a month and then being thrown out?

Joyce December 3, 2007 at 9:59 pm

IKEA has these LED Tree lights for $1.99 each(10 bulbs). The light set is powered by 2 AA batteries (included) with 60 hours burning time.

Stripes December 3, 2007 at 10:10 pm

Awesome! Any bets on how many years until we have a giant one of THESE in Pioneer Courthouse Square at Xmas?! Portland, the City That Bikes!

gabriel amadeus December 3, 2007 at 10:37 pm

I just found out about these, more spendy (and target – eww)but solar powered!

Jim December 4, 2007 at 5:06 am

Doesn\’t that make it a bit harder to ride?

Klixi December 4, 2007 at 6:45 am

I like bikes as much as the next person, but me thinks this is a bit much. 😛

wyatt December 4, 2007 at 9:26 am

apparently this is not for everyone. just like christmas. and christmas trees.

Joe December 4, 2007 at 9:42 am

sweet!!!I grew up riding BMX everywhere..

I can see it know Tree Bikes Pop\’n up on corners all over.. he he

Bearhat December 4, 2007 at 10:02 am

talk about see and be seen.

awesome job, felix and hannah!

organic brian December 4, 2007 at 12:12 pm

On a related note, you can get trees w/ the roots and soil which can be planted again after Thuh Holidays. I had expected to find info on the Friends of Trees website, maybe I\’ll call them later. Check out this company:

felix December 4, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Its a mini too!

ZOOBOMB!

felix

E December 4, 2007 at 2:12 pm

joyce, I saw them too, but I also noted they said \’for indoor use only\’. I was wondering if rain would get into the battery pack fairly easily and short it out (an experience many of us have had with Planet Bike lights…)

Ray Ogilvie December 4, 2007 at 6:25 pm

anonymous #9,
    Christmas tree farms are usualy small acerage. Not anywhere near large enough to make viable food production farms except at the local farmers market, which they may well be doing also.

My point is that tree farms are a green enterprise.
    I mulch my tree when I am through with it. Will you mulch your x-mas bike?

joel December 4, 2007 at 6:34 pm

well, im still not ready to give up my christmas tree, but we *do* have a tree stand made of bike bits…

though if i came up with a \”tree\” made of bike parts… hmm…

Mark Allyn December 4, 2007 at 8:05 pm

Sorry that I don\’t have pictures, but I have been riding on my neon wire decorated bike and fiber optic decorated clear plastic rain jacket for the past few weeks; mostly downtown and southeast.

la December 6, 2007 at 8:27 pm

overall it\’s better to use what you have already than something you don\’t. this applies both to trees and bicycles.

for a long time my front porch light consisted of christmas lights wrapped around a wheel.