Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 2nd, 2007 at 10:12 am
As many of you know, the downtown bus mall is currently under major re-construction. I’ve had several readers wonder what the plans are for bike parking, both during the upheaval and once it’s complete.
TriMet recently announced their plans to add motorized vehicle parking, but what about bike parking?
I asked TriMet‘s Erik Hesse for an update. He said bike parking is “still being determined” but that Trimet is “looking to make bike connections and parking a major component of this project.”
Hesse added that the project is being managed by PDOT and their point person for bike parking is April Bertelson. She has put together a fact sheet that lists their objectives for the project as they pertain to bike parking:
Mall Project open house.
[File photo: 3/15/05]
- Satisfy Portland Zoning Code requirements for long-term bicycle parking at light rail stations
- Replace existing lockers and racks on the Transit Mall displaced by Project improvements
- Identify the best possible investment of Project dollars in bicycle parking facilities
According to the document, which is only “aspirational” at this point, the project budget includes $89,000 for long-term bicycle parking which is slated to be used for four lockers (fit two bikes each) at light rail (MAX) stations.
Bertelson says other “creative solutions” might include:
- Enhanced Indoor Bike Parking Facility at PSU
- Bike Oases
- Central/North Mall Indoor Facility
- Relocate Displaced Lockers
And what about existing, short-term racks? Those will be replaced as close to the original location as possible.
For more info, download the Bus Mall Bike Parking fact sheet (PDF 144kb).