Portland Rock Gym loans U-locks

rock gym bike rack

Portland Rock Gym has a cool little program to help keep their customer’s bikes safe. They have a big sign on their rack (see photo) that says “Cable locks are not secure”. Then, they take it a step further by loaning out U-locks to members that need one.

According to Yuval, the gym’s manager, they’ve had 2 or 3 bikes stolen recently and the club felt terrible that this happened on their property. He also added, “it’s not that expensive and it’s a good service to our customers.”

This company “gets it,” they take care of their customers and they encourage cycling by making their racks more secure. It would be great to see other businesses adopt this program (I can think of one in particular). For that matter, maybe the city should start putting “Cable locks not secure” on their blue staple racks.

Notify of
guest
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
MJ
MJ
16 years ago

Good idea.

Rock On! 😉

Paul S
16 years ago

They’ve been doing this for a while now. I think they suffered a rash of thefts shortly after opening in the new location.

I agree, it’s brilliant.

Jessica Roberts
16 years ago

So cool! I just wrote them a note to say thanks.

Roger J
Roger J
16 years ago

A good friend of mine lost a bike there this fall, and I’ve had saddle bags and such stolen.

I am glad to see a more proactive thoughtful set of actions by these companies that say REI who acknowledges high theft rates but does little to nothing about it.

-r

shannon
shannon
16 years ago

last summer, as i was riding into the Portland Rock Gym parking lot, i realized i had forgotten my trusty bike lock(!). man was I happy to see the sign announcing that the U-Locks were available. i was going to have to beg them to store my bike. it’s a great service for many reasons!

mr.macadam
mr.macadam
16 years ago

PRG has always been a favorite …

philevans
philevans
16 years ago

Fantastic!!
As one of at least 5 victims of bike theft from in front of 24 Hour Fitness in the Pearl in just the past 8 weeks alone (see the stolen bike list and OBRA listserve), I think this is a fabulous idea.

After noticing the epidemic of thefts at 24 Hour Fitness, I have been trying hard to get management’s attention in the hopes that we could come up with exactly this kind of solution.

But, alas, apparently they don’t give a *#@*! or simply don’t think its their problem. I’ve left no less than 4 messages for their manager and they simply will not return my calls. It’s outrageous!

Hurray for PRG, they really do get it! I’m not a climber, but perhaps I’ll start!

Ryan Aslett