Registration for the 27th annual Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic opens today. On July 15, 9,000 riders will brave the 200 mile journey in the largest multi-day bicycle event in the Northwest (you can do it in one or two days).
Here are some interesting facts from the 2005 ride (taken from the STP website):
- 73% of riders were male and 27% were female.
- One-day riders: 21%; two-day riders: 79%
- Riders came from 38 states, primarily WA, OR, CA and ID.
- Riders came from six foreign countries Canada, Australia, Brazil, Japan, Switzerland, and Denmark.
- It was the first STP for 51% of the riders. Over 200 riders have done STP more than 10 times.
- The oldest rider was 81 and the youngest registered rider was 4!
You can sign up online or go to the official STP website to get all the details. Get your friends to sign-up with you and turn it into a pedal party! I’m hoping to do the ride for the first time this year, so I might see you out on the road.