Harvest Century September 22nd

List of common violations and fines

Posted by on December 15th, 2005 at 8:58 am

The LDTMA (Lloyd District Transportation Management Association) recently held an open forum to discuss bike issues in the Lloyd District area. They invited several NE Precinct police officers and traffic division commander Bill Sinnott. During the Q&A session, someone asked to see a list of the most common bicycle infractions and the cost for each of them.

I followed up with Bill and he took the time to compile this nice list. While you read it, keep in mind that cops actually write very few tickets to cyclists each year (this will be changing in the future), but I wanted to publish this just so we’re all on the same page.

ORS #DescriptionFine amount
814.486Endangering Bicycle Operator or Passenger$94.00
815.280Violation of Bicycle Equipment Requirements$94.00
Most common moving violations
811.265Disobey Traffic Control Device$237.00
811.375Fail to Signal Lane Change$94.00
811.275Fail to Yield at Uncontrolled Intersection$237.00

You can read more details about each of these laws in Chapter 814 of the Oregon Revised Statutes (scroll down for bicycle related stuff).

Jessica Roberts December 15, 2005 at 9:52 am

Remember that, as of Jan 1, you will no longer have to ride in a bike lane just because it’s there. We (the Bicycle Transportation Alliance) introduced and successfully got passed the following bill in 2005:

SB 938 changes Oregon law, which failed to allow cyclists leave bicycle lanes and paths, to permit departure when: avoiding debris and other hazardous conditions; turning and going through intersections; and passing other cyclists. More info here.

Joel December 15, 2005 at 10:03 am

One jumps out at me:
    814.485 Fail to Use Protective Headgear

I didn’t think OR had a helmet law. I assume this is for

Joel December 15, 2005 at 10:04 am

Previous post should have ended:
    under 16 yrs?

Must have parsed my less-than as an html tag…

Amitabha December 15, 2005 at 11:09 am

814.470 : Fail to use bicycle seat?!

This one surprises me the most.

Cate December 15, 2005 at 11:27 am

If you use the link Jonathan provided to the Oregon Statutes, you can see the specifics of the laws.

For example: 814.470 Failure to use bicycle seat; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of failure to use a bicycle seat if the person is operating a bicycle and the person rides other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached to the bicycle…

nathan December 15, 2005 at 2:49 pm

what about drunk biking?

josh m December 15, 2005 at 11:48 pm

that would be a normal dui.

Anonymous December 16, 2005 at 10:29 pm

814.440 Fail to Signal Turn

“TURNING
    Hand signals indicating a turn
    are required for cyclists at
    least 100 feet before a turn or
    stop except when both hands
    are necessary to control or
    operate the bicycle.” — http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/images/Bike_Safety_Broch.pdf

I wonder who is allowed to interpret this law. For example, I may feel that it may be unsafe to signal based on road conditions (bumps) and speed. However, a police officer may say that it was possible.

andrew morton December 17, 2005 at 9:48 pm

all law is all about interpretation. if you and the officer disagree then you goto court and the judge helps the two of you come to an understanding.

John Hart December 25, 2005 at 11:50 pm

How nice that the police in Portland are issuing so many tickets to cyclists that they can actually tally them by category and offense!

Too bad they won’t ticket DRIVERS of cars and trucks for assaulting us. In July of 2005, near Portland State University, a pickup truck driver screamed at me that ‘bikes don’t belong on the road’ and told me he would ‘f*** me up’ if I didn’t get out of his way. After he went around the block and came back at me for a second pass at running me down, I called the police. Responding officer told me, and this is an EXACT quote: ‘if you’re going to ride in Portland, you have to expect that,’ even after I provided him with a description of the driver and the truck, and a license plate number that matched the truck exactly for make/model/color.

And the police are ticketing cyclists? That’s just great.

Jonathan Maus December 26, 2005 at 9:57 am

John, the Portland Police issue very few tickets to bicyclists. I’ll get the exact number but I know it is surprisingly low. I published this list in the interest of education and awareness, not as a threat to cyclists.

I understand your frustration with that officer’s quote. All I can say is that things are changing in the bureau and eventually education and respect for bikes throughout the rank and file will happen. In the meantime, look for opportunities to talk directly with cops in various open forums and public meetings.

Our police bureau has really opened up to cyclists and it’s up to us to step in and give them constructive criticism when necessary. It’s not a perfect system but both sides are working to make it better. Stay tuned for reports of more progress…

Taylor trout November 11, 2008 at 1:38 pm

I rcvd a ticket $242.00 ticket on springwater trail near powell loop at linneman station. it was 811.265 disobeying a traffic control device By a Gresham Policeman .There are no signs there and I was south of trail on private property near piazzano club. Has anyone had this happen to them and what was outcome? I took pics and pleaded not guiilty court date is monday