‘Fiets of Parenthood’ event returns this Sunday

Posted by on July 30th, 2013 at 10:46 am

Fiets of Parenthood-44
Tackling the obstacle course at last year’s event.
(Photos © J. Maus/BikePortland)

The Fiets of Parenthood is back for its 4th year and biking families all over the region are getting ready to strut their stuff at a new venue: The Portland Art Museum. As part of their ongoing Cyclepedia: Iconic Bicycle Design exhibition, PAM has partnered with event sponsor Clever Cycles for a “Free Family and Community Day” this Sunday (8/4).

If you’re curious about family biking, or if you’re already riding with kids in tow and want to connect with other families, this is an event you won’t want to miss.

One thing I’ve noticed from being around families on bikes for many years is that seeing is believing (and inspiring). For many new moms and dads, the idea of biking with small children is overwhelming. There are feelings of fear and intimidation about which type of gear and bike set-up works best. That’s what Fiets of Parenthood is all about. It’s a place where you can learn, get inspired, and then practice (or show off if you’re a veteran) your biking-with-children skills.

Organizers of this year’s event bill it as a “a celebration of the family bicycle.” They’ve put together a great program that includes: a family bicycle obstacle race (the main attraction), live music, a family bike showcase, food vendors, a collaborative bike sculpture, and more fun for the whole family. And don’t forget, this Sunday you’ll get free admission to the entire museum.

Grab the kids and your bikes and head down to the South Park Blocks (SW Park between Jefferson and Madison) between 1:00 and 5:00 pm. For more on Fiets of Parenthood, see our recap and photos from last year’s event and check out the official website.

Fiets of Parenthood-53
Fiets of Parenthood-57
Fiets of Parenthood-52
Fiets of Parenthood-69
Fiets of Parenthood-73

Comments
  • CES Wood would July 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Unbelievable. I can’t stand it.
    Portland, how do you do this to me?
    I love you already. I truly do. Deeply.
    And then you throw this event?
    God help me.
    Smitten? No.
    This is some Romeo & Juliet, one for the ages love.
    I will have your babies, Portland. As many as you want.
    I bow before you in utter delight.
    This town slays me to pieces.
    Keep on, P-town. Keep on!
    You’re the greatest.

• buny July 30, 2013 at 1:48 pm

portland doesn’t really need tall bike jesus to save bike fun, bike fun is still here, it has just grown up a little!

• Spiffy July 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm

tall bike jesus died to save us from auto sin…

• KYouell July 30, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Don’t forget that Kidical Mass PDX is leading two bike trains so that you can ride with a group to Fiets of Parenthood. Both meet at noon, one at the playground at Irving Park (south side of the park) and the other at Clever Cycles. Come ride with us!

• Dwainedibbly July 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

We don’t even have kids, but Mrs Dibbly & I might go anyway, as long as we don’t come across as creepy.

• John Liu July 30, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I think ultimately all these events need to be combined into one climactic Event – ‘Fiets of Disaster Zombie Parenthood or the like.

• mabsf July 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Next year the Cascadia Scouts might help out and will earn their “I survived utter chaos while performing a public service” bagde…

On a different note: Leah Treat will join the fun…we might even let her borrow some kids…

• GlowBoy August 4, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Brought my kid along and we had a great time (we were the second Madsen team).

I really enjoyed seeing the wonderful diversity of family bikes there — everything from Bakfiets and Bullitts to Yubas and Big Dummies to Burley trailers and plain ole cargo racks. I especially liked the matching Bromptons fitted with kid seats, and the cargo bike made to look like Thomas the Tank Engine.

Kudos to the organizers for putting together this great event, and for linking it with free admission to the excellent PAM exhibit.