Photos from the Midnight Mystery Ride

Posted by on June 19th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Midnight Mystery Ride -7
A large group showed up for the Midnight Mystery Ride on Friday night (this is only half of it).
(Photos © J. Maus/BikePortland)

I have not been out on many Pedalpalooza rides this year. After missing the big opening weekend while I was in Europe, I just haven’t gotten into the bike fun groove. I’m also being pulled by the strong magnetic force of home where my two year-old son and growing daughters don’t really care much about biking because it’s just what daddy does when he’s not with them.

I did however get out last Friday night for the Midnight Mystery Ride. This is a monthly tradition that’s been going on for over 10 years in Portland. The premise is simple: Show up at the announced meet-up spot, hang out for a bit, then “at midnight we ride” goes the slogan. The destination is only known by the ride leader.

It has been years since I joined an MMR. Besides the fact that it made me feel very old seeing all the new and young faces that had gathered in huge groups along both sides W Burnside and 18th, it felt great to be out on the streets on my bike at night with a huge group of people. The turnout was pretty big, which made it feel even more exciting than usual (the warm skies and “Pedalpalooza bump” were surely to blame).

Midnight Mystery Ride -5
Midnight Mystery Ride -2

Midnight Mystery Ride -8
Midnight Mystery Ride -9

We took a unconventional route to the final destination — south through town and then up onto SW Terwiliger (disclaimer: I turned back after the first big regroup spot but heard later the ride ended somewhere on the western shores of the Willamette River south of downtown). I bailed out early (my boy wakes up, ready to play at 6:00 am), but still got to chat with a few friends, meet some new people, and enjoy a solitary and wonderful ride home through nearly empty streets.

I hope everyone is having a great Pedalpalooza. Check out a few more pics from the Midnight Mystery Ride below…

Midnight Mystery Ride -11
Adam George of BoundBikes.com on his amazing recumbent, back-to-back tandem.
Midnight Mystery Ride -10
El Diablo is a fixture on Pedalpalooza rides.
Midnight Mystery Ride -12
Midnight Mystery Ride -15
Midnight Mystery Ride -17
Midnight Mystery Ride -22
Midnight Mystery Ride -19
Midnight Mystery Ride -16
Midnight Mystery Ride -18
Midnight Mystery Ride -21
This is Greg Hum. He’s visiting from Boston and rolled out to the MMR to share his bike-drumming (yes, that’s a thing) skills. “I like biking and drumming, so I figured I’d combine my two passions,” he shared.

Comments
  • Spiffy June 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I was so bummed that I missed this one… got there 15 minutes after midnight and there were already a dozen people there wondering which way it went… we rode around a bit and then gave up…

• SilkySlim June 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Check out the Dropout ride scheduled for Friday night to get your light night riding/music/party fix.

• BIKELEPTIC June 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Yeah, unfortunately this is the one ride not on “bikey” time. Midnight prompt. I got saved once by being able to phone a friend who caught it.

• Kiel Johnson June 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm

i enjoyed the ride but i hope that next year the meeting spot is more open and the ride is more inviting for all the cargo/weird bikes that pedalpalooza brings out (less hills and narrow choke points). Also I wonder what the cemetery looked like after we rode through? There is a carefully balanced relationship between bikes and the cemetery and I hope 400 people riding through didn’t destroy any grass.

• Matheas Michaels June 19, 2013 at 2:47 pm

cute tall biker ;-)

• Barney June 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I didn’t even hear about it until this article!?

• Happen June 20, 2013 at 9:15 am

Does anyone have more info on the awesome back-to-back recumbent tandem pictured here? Or its riders? I’m looking to buy one just like it. Thank you for any tips!

• SilkySlim June 20, 2013 at 12:29 pm

The caption for that photo:
      “Adam George of BoundBikes.com on his amazing recumbent, back-to-back tandem.”

• Happen June 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Got it now, thanks! The caption is new. :)

• Joe June 20, 2013 at 10:30 am

missed it this time but heard it was epic :) love MMR