Man riding bike stabbed and robbed in northeast Portland

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on July 23rd, 2012 at 6:12 pm

The Portland Police Bureau are actively investigating two armed robberies that happened in the Concordia Neighborhood early this morning.

According to a PPB statement, the incidents took place near NE 26th and Alberta at just before 1:00 am. One of the victims was walking and the other was riding his bike. The man who was walking was able to run away from the would-be attackers. The man on the bike, whose name has not yet been released, was riding his bike when he was approached by the suspects.

The PPB says one of the three suspects was armed with a knife and demanded the man's cell phone and bike. Then, "The suspect with the knife stabbed the victim and the suspects left the area with the victim's bicycle." The man suffered a non-life-threatening stab wound and is recovering at a local hospital.

The missing bike is described as a tan bike with a green seat. The suspect who had the knife is described as a white male in his mid-to-late 20s, 6-feet tall, and 180 lbs, having blonde hair and was wearing a dark hoodie and pants. The second suspect is described as an African American male in his mid-20s, male wearing dark clothing. The third suspect is described as a male, unknown if white or African American.

Anyone with information about these robberies is asked to provide tips to CrimeTips@PortlandOregon.gov

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • NE Rider July 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I ride through there all the time, coming home from bars, or late night donuts. I see these rascals always lurking about in the corners, especially by the Sushi place across from The Nest. I'm not surprised it happened really. I'm always worried about the person walking by themselves. I'm going to have to start carrying my bear mace.

• Chris I July 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Bear mace is very effective. I'm not sure about the legality of using it on humans, though. You may want to check on that.

• q`Tzal July 23, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Like police always say about home invaders: make sure the projectile enters the perp through the front and not the back.
        I expect the same would apply to defending one's life from an attacker armed with whatever who you don't know wether they have plans to kill you anyways.
        I recommend against first strike unless you have an air tight alibi.

• Scott July 24, 2012 at 9:04 am

How does one identify "rascals" on a street where hundreds of people eat, drink, and shop nightly?

• NE Rider July 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Ride your bike or walk by the sushi restaurant across from The Nest. Those rascals.

• Scott July 25, 2012 at 9:08 am

Ahh, finely sliced fish, formed artistically on to a bed of rice. Ever the bastion of the ne'er do well. And outside of the sushi restaurant? Basically beyond Thunderdome.

I ride through all parts of this city. I've never spotted "rascals". You should consider moving somewhere safer. Like Cheyenne, Wyoming.

• cold worker July 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm

He means the black dudes dealing whatever it is they deal that hang out in front of Random Order after it closes. Mostly they're mellow but I'm tired of the tiny, tweaky lady that constantly hits me and everyone up for change.

• Frank July 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I enjoy a good bar crawl by bike down Alberta as much as the next guy, but if I were doing it at 1 AM on a Monday I might have to take a long look in the mirror and ask myself some difficult questions. Like "Who were those rascals?"

• Kevin July 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Clearly this calls for more strict knife control laws.

• captainkarma July 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Ok, I'm all for it.

• Mike July 23, 2012 at 10:17 pm

In a totally unrelated story, a cyclist was pummeled by a meteor. Thanks, for the call to arms!!!!

• grumpcyclist July 24, 2012 at 4:56 am

Couldn't agree more. Bikeportland has turned into a crime blotter. "To inform and inspire?" Not really.

• Spiffy July 24, 2012 at 7:33 am

I'm inspired to bike on Alberta late at night...

• thefuture July 24, 2012 at 8:58 am

I had to scroll back about 20 posts to get to the last crime story (old town bike bust) and saw plenty of informative and inspiration stuff on my way. Maybe you're looking at a different blog?

• Craig Harlow July 24, 2012 at 10:00 am

Huh? I think this matters in a big way to those of us who find themselves on bikes after dark. What's your beef, exactly?

• Jason S. July 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

I heard about this story from someone and the first place I go to is bikeportland. Thanks for following all bike-related stories.

• Erinne July 24, 2012 at 10:31 am

"The third suspect is described as a male, unknown if white or African American." Not sure if this was directly from the victim, the crime report, or what, but there are many racial identities that don't fall in black or white. Just sayin'.

• Zaphod July 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Chris I
    Recommended 0

Legality?
    If I'm confronted by some sort of attacker, the last thing on my mind is legality.

• Tim w July 27, 2012 at 2:46 am

Sadly, a judge may not care.

• Bikebicyclecycle July 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Thanks for posting this! You might have just saved me from a mugging.

• HAL9000 July 24, 2012 at 3:58 pm

If strange guys at night wearing hoodies covering their faces ask you to stop and give them a light/cigarette/money, don't.

Use your street smarts, people.

• Scott July 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm

100% to much George Zimmerman in that logic.

• Chrystal July 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I have rode all over the city at all hours and have never felt afraid of someone attacking me. This story is a little disturbing,but I am not afraid to use my bike lock for defense if needed.