NE Portland drive-by shooting targets man on a bike

Posted by on March 1st, 2012 at 9:13 pm

This just in from the Portland Police Bureau:

Men in a Car Shoot at a Man on a Bike

On Thursday March 1, 2012 at 5:17 p.m. Portland Police officers assigned to North Precinct responded to a call of shots fired in the area of Northeast Garfield and Jessup. Arriving in the area officers located a window of a house shot. No has been injured. As officers were conducting their investigation the victim returned to the scene.

Officers learned that 4 men in a car drove by and shot 4-5 shots at a man on a bike. The man on the bike is uninjured. The Gang Team and the Forensic Evidence Division has been called to the scene.

This is an ongoing investigation and anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact Detective Todd Gradwahl at 503-823-2056.

At this point, I don’t know any other details. I’ll update this post as I learn more.

Comments
  • daisy March 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm

A slightly pedantic correction: that’s Northeast, not North, Portland.

• K'Tesh March 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Glad to hear that the cyclist wasn’t hurt!

• schrammalama March 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I ride my bike down Garfield after picking up my baby from daycare. This sucks.

• A.K. March 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I’d like to know more about this when details are available, specifically:

-Were they shooting at a man BECAUSE he was on a bike, or;

-Were the shooting at a man that just happened to be traveling by bike at the time (pre-meditated, perhaps).

That is an important distinction.

• Mike Quigley March 2, 2012 at 5:48 am

Sounds like gang bangahs shooting at something else. The bike just happened to be in the way. Got lucky.

• Paul Johnson March 2, 2012 at 7:25 am

Wow, I grew up in the house on the southeast side of that intersection.

• Oliver March 2, 2012 at 9:49 am

It seems that gunfire is on a huge upswing in Portland over the last year or so. Am I imagining this?

• K'Tesh March 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

No, you’re not imagining this… I heard that last year, the Pdx police were investigating 12 shootings by 3/1… This year it’s 20.

• grumpcyclist March 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

In other words 8 more shooting through 2 months. In relative terms a lot, in real terms… not so much.

• cold worker March 2, 2012 at 4:19 pm

real, relative, whatever. any is too many. there is no reason to shoot guns.

• Toby March 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

Almost double in 1/6 the time? You’re right, until we get the body count of, let’s say, Mogadishu (OK, that’s a bit much, but hopefully you get the point), we have nothing to worry about. How can you say “…in real terms…not so much.” ? What exactly is the real term for significant upswing in shootings? Just curious.

• middle of the road guy March 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

Oliver, I live in NoPo, and I think you are correct.

• Pete March 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

Sounds like Portland needs ShotSpotters these days:

• Rol March 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hmmmm… kinda cool, but fairly creepy too.

• Mike March 2, 2012 at 11:19 am

According to the headline the Cyclist was the target, not just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Rol March 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm

This makes me want a gun. And a holster right there on the handlebars. And enough training that I can hit some mofos before wasting 5 shots like these clowns.

• Ted Buehler March 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I ride through that intersection about 5 times a week, its always been pretty quiet. But it’s just a block off MLK. The NE corner house often has an outdoor book sorting operation where they load textbooks on pallets and ship them to far-off lands. Pretty cool operation, and during the nicer months it always puts “eyes on the streets”.

I’m glad nobody was hurt. I haven’t given much thought to getting caught in drug/gang crossfire. & I probably still won’t.

Ted Buehler

• Scott March 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm

It’s Portland. Your odds of getting shot here are pretty low.

• BURR March 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Time to start packing heat when you ride?!?!?!

• resopmok March 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Illogical and stretched connection/conclusion: blame the Oregonian for inciting more violence in our society. The shooters are obviously upset of PBOT spending allocations.

• Opus the Poet March 2, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Has anyone hit on the irony yet? They shot at a guy from a car. This brought out PD and more PD, with additional PD on top of that. If they really wanted to get ride of the cyclist all they had to do was hit him from behind and make sure he was run over then claim they were pulling over to answer a cell phone and didn’t see the cyclist, and nothing would have happened to them…

• Opus the Poet March 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm

RID of the cyclist, not RIDE. I really need to get ,y laptop running that has a keyboard that’s less than 6 years old