‘Everybody’s Bike Rentals’ opens in NE Portland

Posted by on February 14th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Free bike help and advice on N. Williams-6
Dan Sloan, photographed on
Williams Ave back in 2010.
(Photo © J. Maus/BikePortland)

Remember Dan Sloan? He’s the nice guy who set up a bike repair stand on N Williams Ave and propped up a sign that said, “Free Bike Help + Advice.”

Now Sloan has launched a more formal endeavor: Everybody’s Bike Rentals.

“We provide classy, vintage, and affordable bike rentals for folks who need a bike for a day, a week, or a month,” reads an email Sloan sent out yesterday to friends and supporters about his new business.

Sloan, who’s been building bikes for himself and friends for years, says he noticed a lack of bike rental options in North and Northeast Portland. His new shop is located near the busy Going Street Neighborhood Greenway at NE Alberta and 19th street.

Rates are reasonable ($25 a day for a commuter bike) and he’s got a good selection of both city and more speedy road bikes. All rentals come with a helmet, lock and a set of lights.

Learn more at PDXBikeRentals.com or call (503) 893-4519 to reserve bikes.

Comments
  • captainkarma February 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Sounds good. How about an E-bike or two (though they are the bane of my existence) for out-of-shape visitors so they can experience P-Town the only best way?

• Stephanie February 14, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I wish someone would rent flat bed bike trailers in North Portland. I would rent one.

• 9watts February 14, 2012 at 2:42 pm

coming soon (in SE). Stay tuned.

• dan February 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Cool! That could definitely come in handy, especially if it’s big enough to handle sheet goods.

• 9watts February 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

4×8 plywood and sheetrock? Yep.

box trailers, flatbed, covered, open, kid trailers, trailers with tubs for hauling dirt, compact, large, and everything in between.

• Antload February 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I will! Portland is soooo ripe for just such a resource. If help is wanted: antload at gmail.

• Joe February 14, 2012 at 3:38 pm

awesome: this is what makes Portland bike friendly.

• GlowBoy February 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Nice. I see they only rent commuter and road bikes, though. Leaving the mountain bike rental market to Fat Tire Farm, I guess?

• Josh C. February 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Funny story. I was hit by a car and my commuter/touring bike was totaled. Since this was my main mode of transit, I insisted on having a loaner, just like a person with a totaled car would. The insurance company agreed. After they heard the prices ($25/day, $60/3days, etc.) they were appalled since they could rent me a car for $22/day. Still, they agree to the terms but before I could rent a bike, they processed my claim with a lightening speed I’ve never seen again from a large, bureaucratic business. So, lesson learned. If you get hit by a car, insist on a loaner!