‘Cross Up’ indoor cyclocross event coming to The Lumberyard

Posted by on January 19th, 2012 at 9:53 am

Sneak peek inside The Lumberyard-13-13
The Lumberyard is still a work
in progress, but you can catch a glimpse
of it at “Cross Up.”
(Photos © J. Maus/BikePortland)

Winter weather got you down? Then perhaps “Cross Up,” an indoor cyclocross race being put together by Amanda Sundvor of Backyard Blam, will deliver you from the doldrums.

Cross Up will be tournament style races with two riders going shoulder-to-shoulder in each heat. Racers will ride customized Raleigh Furley singlespeed cyclocross bikes with flat bars, big tires and platform pedals. Amanda and her Backyard Blam crew have devised a course that will include some jumps, rollers, berms and barriers. Whether you like catching air or if you prefer to stay earth-bound, Amanda says the course will be a ton of fun for novice and experienced riders alike.

Or, as Amanda put it, “The course will be manageable for the novice… It won’t be too intimidating… But for people that can get rad on their bikes they’ll have the opportunity to do so.”

As if that wasn’t exciting enough, this event will be held at The Lumberyard. The indoor bike park (we shared the full scoop back in November) on NE 82nd Avenue is still a few months from its official opening, but the owners have agreed to host this event.

Amanda is like the Willy Wonka of bike events and Backyard Blam is her factory. A bike mechanic by day (at 21st Avenue Bicycles) and a super-fun DJ by night (she’s a regular at local bike events), her energy and enthusiasm for bikes is infectious.

Amanda at the Circulus race.

Backyard Blam has built a reputation for awesome events like the “Hole Shot,” where competitors dueled on no-brake coaster bikes on a tiny, flat oval concrete track (check the video).

Adding to the fun of Cross Up will be free beer, great prizes (men’s and women’s winners will win a Raleigh Roper) and plenty of good stuff in the raffle (including a frame).

Cross Up is February 4th. Registration opens at 5:00 pm and racing starts sometime thereafter. Race entry is $10 but it’s free to get in, drink beer, and heckle/cheer your favorite riders. The Lumberyard is at 2700 NE 82nd Ave. More info at the Backyard Blam blog.

Comments
  • Alex January 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Pretty freakin awesome! I’m there!

• sorebore January 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

…. and may the Lumberyard be blessed with a long life!! This amenity is long over due for P-town.

• Dan Kaufman January 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Fanfreakingtastic!!! I am sooo there!

Hey, is there any possibly for organized BMX Racing at the lumberyard? I think it’s time to bring it back to Portland.

• Ted Buehler January 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Pretty fabulous. One more way to get kids (small and big) on bikes!

Ted Buehler

• Adam January 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I’m curious what time they expect to run until. I won’t be able to ride but I’m wondering if there will be enough time for me to stop by for some fun after work.

• Amanda Sundvor January 22, 2012 at 4:54 pm

@Adam around 10pm

• Adam January 22, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Excellent. I hope I can stop by.

• ScottW January 24, 2012 at 7:25 am

Will there be an opportunity to pre-ride the course? I’m recovering from a wreck and I’m not sure I’m there yet but I’d like to try.

• Amanda Sundvor January 24, 2012 at 11:26 pm

@Scott I am sorry to hear about your wreck. I too am recovering. Unfortunately there will be no pre-ridding of the course.

• Dan Kaufman February 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Walk and talk course side w/ Amanda Sundvor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw624RZqsUU