Posted by Jonathan Maus ( Publisher/Editor ) on March 24th, 2011 at 12:06 pm
When I put together the first Bike to Blazers event back in 2006 (see photo at right), it was just a group ride to the arena with a few small perks we worked out with Blazers front-office staff. The goal all along was to get the Blazers organization excited about it so they’d adopt it as their own. After a super-fun and successful event last year, it seems like that’s starting to become a reality.
This year, the Blazers have really stepped up for the event and we couldn’t be more excited. Check out the logo they made for the official event flyer…
The big game is April 3rd at 6:00 pm against the Dallas Mavericks (which is also the Blazers annual “Green Game Celebration”). Below are just some of the fun details…
- We won’t have a rally in Waterfront Park like we did last year. Instead, we’ll ask folks to promote group rides from neighborhoods to end in the plaza in front of the Rose Garden and at The Game restaurant on the Rose Quarter Campus.
- The Rose Quarter plaza will be full of activities, music, booths with local organizations, free bike tune-ups and other fun stuff. If you have cool custom bikes to share, or if you do bike tricks (Blake Hicks I’m thinking of you), show up, hang out, and show the 20,000 Blazer fans what bicycling in Portland is all about.
- The BlazerDancers will join us pre-game. No confirmation yet on whether to expect a Sprockettes/BlazerDancer collaboration, but we’re asking!
- Two ticket packages are available: $35 for the 300 section and Suite Level tickets for $75 a piece. Buy them online with passcode: BikeBlazers
- All tickets come with vouchers for a free entree and beverage of your choice which you can use either pre-game at The Game restaurant or inside the arena during the game.
- You’ll also get a coupon for a discount on the brand new Trail Blazers cycling jersey available in the Fan Shop.
If you’re a Blazer fan and want to get a group ride going from your neighborhood, contact us and we’ll get you a free Blazers flag you can fly from your lead bike. Tip off is at 6:00 pm, so plan to get down to the arena early to hang out, have some fun, and enjoy some food/drink.
I hope you’ll join us to show support for our local NBA team and spread the love of bicycling to their many fans.
Watch the slideshow below to relive the fun of last year’s event: