Posted by Elly Blue (Columnist) on March 21st, 2011 at 8:28 am
Have you heard that oft-cited factoid about Portland's entire bikeway network costing about the same amount as a single mile of urban freeway? Well, it checks out.
Here's the news that caught our eye this week:
- The prominent banker who drove through the Critical Mass ride in Porto Alegre, Brazil last month has been charged with attempted murder, and his criminal record has been uncovered, revealing other incidents of reckless driving and domestic violence.
- In Dhaka, Bangladesh, a group of women began a group ride and are asking for better bicycle infrastructure.
- In Nigeria, an artist who portrays the aftermath of traffic crashes talks about the country's traffic safety culture.
- Activists are asking the state of Illinois to begin keeping data on dooring crashes.
- In Singapore, a new initiative to battle bicycle theft includes high tech, tamper proof labels.
-The new mandatory, all ages helmet law in Northern Ireland is meeting with some resistance.
- If walking up or down stairs is more dangerous than bicycling, asks a blogger, then why don't we wear helmets?
- Have you heard that oft-cited factoid about Portland's entire bikeway network costing about the same amount as a single mile of urban freeway? Well, it checks out.
- For the cost of the planned deep bore freeway tunnel in Seattle, the state of Washington could buy each of its residents a bicycle.
- A suburb of Copenhagen has a completely segregated bicycle network that has no contact with car traffic.
- Profiles of fifteen U.S. power players in bicycle business and advocacy who happen to be women.
- In Denver, an entire coffeeshop operates from a cargo bike.
- In Vancouver, Canada, electric-assist tricycle cargo delivery is the backbone of a new, cooperative business venture.
- In the small town of Fazilka, India, rickshaw operators are working together to change the way they connect with customers.
- In Boston, a new carfree compost pick-up business is enjoying high demand.
- Want to go on an epic bike tour and worried your partner won't want to join you? Here's a handy guide to making it appealing.
- Video of the week: In New York City, a ride commemorates those killed while walking and riding bicycles there in the last year...